Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major Match charities

Sarge

Nothing official just doing some research. For a future level two match I would like to see some proceedings donated to a worthy cause. Is it appropriate to donate to a local charity such as a VA program or something similar even though shooters come from far and wide? I'm all for organizations such as wounded warrior but there are wounded vets who are local and it seems giving to a local charity could benefit them more. I'm not talking about giving money to an individual. But many of the surrounding counties have veterans outreach programs that could maybe use the help.

I'm just feeling folks out to see what has been done along these lines before.

Thoughts?

The Memphis Charity Challenge (November 5) has given 12+ thousand to Childrens Hospitals here in the Memphis Area (St. Jude, and LeBohneur)...The afore mentioned hospital later told us they didn't want to be associated with Pistol shooting. LeBohneur JUMPED at the offer and has been very good to work with....We're going with them again this year.

Take a trip to Memphis, bring a revolver and have fun raising $$$$ for the childrens hospital that turns no one away. :cheers:

Hopalong

• 7 months later...

Local match charges an extra $5 and it went to the Wounded Warrior Project, all the competitors were good with that. There also a jar for donations for buttons, stickers, chamber flags, etc given to the charities.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

...here in the Memphis Area (St. Jude, and LeBohneur)...The afore mentioned hospital later told us they didn't want to be associated with Pistol shooting.)

Hopalong

But they still took the donation? Can a charity organization forbid you from raising funds and giving it to them? Is this a risk that need to be added when planning a match?

• 4 weeks later...

Shot charity matches in IDPA and USPSA. As long as your club is good with it, go for it.

• I've seen ones that ran a regular match, portion of entry fee going to charity.
  • the same as above but with a side match costing X dollars per run, all going to the charity
  • A significant prize donation with a minimum buy in for the raffle tickets
  • A match where you paid to shoot per stage, as much as you wanted in search of your very best hf.

• 5 weeks later...

There is an awesome match that is not a true USPSA or IDPA match in St. Louis that raises money for the USO. It is call Monster Match and it is a blast. I would encourage every club to try and do a charity match but if you make it a fun match I think you get more shooters perhaps.

• 10 months later...
9 hours ago, jluther820 said:

Wounded Warrior is anti 2A...

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Back Up such a statement. I work a WW event every year and our HEROS enjoy themselves.

23 minutes ago, bobert1 said:

Back Up such a statement. I work a WW event every year and our HEROS enjoy themselves.

"That lit the fuse, and hundreds (if not thousands) of gun rights supporters contacted WWP for clarification. The response was . . . a bit bland. Mostly it was along the lines of “We support the Second Amendment . . .,” but the WWP web site specifically called out the firearms industry as one it would not “co-brand” with. That is, it would not allow the use of its logo on guns (and it turns out, on knives, either.)"

http://clashdaily.com/2012/12/wounded-warrior-project-ceo-confirms-organization-is-anti-gun-and-anti-knife/

It's not a secret, google it yourself.

Tom Gresham went into it pretty deep.

They do some good work, sure. But the overhead is high and they don't support the second amendment.

I am sure they will continue to take your money if you insist on sending it to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all have to live with our choices. I would rather show the HEROS that are missing limbs and suffering from PTSD a good time. It only costs me my time. Others look for excuses. We will all answer for how we lived at the end.

I'm all for helping veterans - I am one - but Wounded Warriors was outed not too long ago for the amount of donations that didn't go to help veterans so I'm not too wild about that particular organization.

I'm all for helping veterans - I am one - but Wounded Warriors was outed not too long ago for the amount of donations that didn't go to help veterans so I'm not too wild about that particular organization.

Yes
And there are many, many, many where 100% go toes to our Veterans.

Give responsibly, not for the organization where 20% goes to a blanket or tote bag gift for the donor and another 20% to pay some anti-gunners fat salary.

• 3 months later...

Yes
And there are many, many, many where 100% go toes to our Veterans.

Give responsibly, not for the organization where 20% goes to a blanket or tote bag gift for the donor and another 20% to pay some anti-gunners fat salary.

You should see the waterfront office space for wwp in Seattle...nice digs.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk