Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use the Troy TRX Alpha Rail?

MickB

Anyone use the Troy TRX Alpha Rail?

It mounts to a standard barrel nut using a collar and the tube attaches to the barrel nut collar. Looks like this might be the way to go to avoid slipping rails like on the Samson and standard TRX rails?

I'm thinking about the 13" model with no front sight for a build for my 13 year old son.

I'm thinking the small diameter would be good for small hands.

Anyone have any heat issues with handguards this small a diameter?

Mick

I have a VTAC TRX Extreme 13" and really like it. You can feel the warmth coming off the barrel, but it doesn't get hot. I like the slots rather than holes to help keep my fingers away from the barrel. The diameter is perfect. I took the short rail pieces off as soon as I got it. I do have a fold down sight set on it and a QD sling attachment on the top rail.

I have both the TRX Extreme 15" and a 13" Alpha. My wife has an 11" VTAC TRX Extreme on her gun. For my shooting style (and long arms) I prefer the 15 inch rail. The Alpha is super light and the spring loaded flip front sight gives it tons of cool points, but it ultimately depends on how you shoot and how you plan Yosef up your rifle as a complete system. I have never had any slipping issues w the TRX or the VTAC version. Nor have any of the 2 or 3 other guys i shoot with regularly. The heat buildup is not an issue unless you get into some pretty serious sustained fire. Multiple 3-4 mags on a single COF (starting w a cool gun for a base line) starts to make some people incomfortable. The smaller diameter is good for almost everyone i know and would be excellent for a kid. The TRX Extreme rails also offer a lot of flexibility to grow into with the addition of the add on rail sections.

• 1 month later...

I got the TRX Alpha rail in and it felt like a cheese grater, so back it went.

I ended up going with a rifle length Samson Evolution.

During testing, the rail slipped forward, si I've tightened the screws down a lot more. Question is, define "tightening them down properly"?

Mick

I have a couple Samson Evolution tubes and haven't had any issues with it sliding forward after tightening them down properly.

I have the 13" trx extreme and like it alot. This looks like it would be very similar with a different mounting system. Give it a try.

+1 I started with a 13 incher and then changed it out for a 15 incher on my 18 inch Noveske. I have the 13 incher on my 14.5 inch Noveske now.

Pat

I have a Samson 15" evo on my rifle and it is awsome. I understand that you are building for a kid. I would get as long a HG as I could. 15" is very nice. Even if a small shooter does not have long enough arms to use the entire HG length, there are other advantages, when sticking the rifle through ports or shooting around other props. This can keep the shooter from pressing the barrel against something. The samson is the thinest HG I have used.

Thanks! This is what I did when tightening it down again. The instructions say "*** Do Not Over Tighten ***", but they aren't any more specific. Fingers crossed on no more slippage.

Mick

quote name='Bryan 45' timestamp='1319367616' post='1558263']

If you call Samson and ask how much to tighten the screws, they will tell you to stop when the two sides touch at the rear screw hole. I had one of my Evos slip on me, but it just needed another turn on the screw.

The barrel is a 16" Daniel Defense lightweight with mid length gas system. On an 18" or longer barrel, I would have gone with the 15" handguard. I'm not that comfortable with having the end of the handguard that close to the muzzle brake, I guess.

Now, a 14" handguard for a 16" barrel would be perfect, IMO.

I'm also thinking about putting some grip tape on the bottom of the handguard. I've done this to my PRI tubes. Anyone done this on the Samson Evolution?

Mick

I have a Samson 15" evo on my rifle and it is awsome. I understand that you are building for a kid. I would get as long a HG as I could. 15" is very nice. Even if a small shooter does not have long enough arms to use the entire HG length, there are other advantages, when sticking the rifle through ports or shooting around other props. This can keep the shooter from pressing the barrel against something. The samson is the thinest HG I have used.

Edited by MickB