Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Boxing?

johniac7078

I started to take up boxing again with a trainer.

I sort of forgot how good it is for hand speed and footwork. If you combine it with a good stretch work out (read yoga.....up yoga) and cardio build stamina, muscle you never knew you had and flexibility.

Yoga.....as we all get older, staying flexible is so important.

Anyone else do this?

This is sort of of the subject but not really... Check out the XBox with the kenetic attachment. I was in Best Buy the other day and they had the UFC training game in. Talk about a workout, As you know its only shadow boxing and but, it also has all kinds of workouts and drills. I had a group watching as I was throwing elbows, kicks and so on. Check it out.

Oh ya, I need to strech more also, yoga on the Wii will also kick your but. You utilize the board that displays your CG and how it changes during each pose.

We also do some good ground fighting at work, its a blast till you have to tap out...

This is sort of of the subject but not really... Check out the XBox with the kenetic attachment. I was in Best Buy the other day and they had the UFC training game in. Talk about a workout, As you know its only shadow boxing and but, it also has all kinds of workouts and drills. I had a group watching as I was throwing elbows, kicks and so on. Check it out.

Oh ya, I need to strech more also, yoga on the Wii will also kick your but. You utilize the board that displays your CG and how it changes during each pose.

We also do some good ground fighting at work, its a blast till you have to tap out...

Pretty cool. My kids do all that stuff.....I dont want them to show me up!!! Take care.

I started to take up boxing again with a trainer.

I sort of forgot how good it is for hand speed and footwork. If you combine it with a good stretch work out (read yoga.....up yoga) and cardio build stamina, muscle you never knew you had and flexibility.

Yoga.....as we all get older, staying flexible is so important.

Anyone else do this?

Haven't done yoga, but will do various types of cardiovascular exercises (jogging, walking, stationary-bicycle, swimming, etc.) several times a week. Plus, it helps me to do weight-lifting weekly as well.

My friend owns a boxing gym so I have access to it anytime I want and it's great for cardio, footwork and hand speed. Getting punched in the face is not so great though. :blink: Guess I need to work on my defense.

nope.....getting punched in the face is a bummer. In the gut isnt much better and below the belt....HURTS!!!!!! :sick:

• 2 years later...

yes boxing or any type of striking oriented martial art is great for foot speed, balance, and I have found more so than anything the fast powerful core rotating motion has helped with my transition speed alot.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another good aspect of boxing is it teaches you to really relax your upper body- you'll burn out quick if you stay tense.

On the subject of mobility, check out Kelly Starrett or mobilityWOD on youtube, he's the real deal. He's a DPT who works with everyone from world class powerlifters, to special operations forces, to Olympic athletes. Just google his name and what body part you are interested in loosening up and something good is bound to come up.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Boxing is really good for your footwork, all your power really comes from your feet and works it's way up. If you get your footwork down for being then it should be easy to transition that in terms of a match and movement components of a match.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Check out Defense Lab or KFM. Signed up for it with my 16 year old few months back. Great work out and great way to learn how to defend yourself without a gun.

BTW : my 16 year old is 6'4" and was 290lbs when we started. He's 260 2 months later.

• 7 months later...

Did Krav Maga for 5 years about a decade ago, miss it every day.  In shape, quick, didn't do much competitive shooting back then but I'm betting it would make me a better shooter today.  And sparring with willing participants never gets old.