Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P9 VTAC..

JKtruck150

I started looking for an M&P9 VTAC and they are "out of stock" everywhere. Did they stop making them? I notice the special M&Ps (vtac, pro, etc) are VERY hard to find. Does anyone know if they will be supplying more M&P vtac pistols in the near future?

I haven't gotten to hold one yet. Most that have say the sights are busy, but the second set of dots dissappear in one or the other light conditions (i.e. the fiber optic sights dissappear at night) making it easy to sight than most people think.

Some of the pictures I see make the slide look 'gold' vs FDE. Is this the case in person?

Edited by JKtruck150

I haven't gotten to hold one yet. Most that have say the sights are busy, but the second set of dots dissappear in one or the other light conditions (i.e. the fiber optic sights dissappear at night) making it easy to sight than most people think.

Some of the pictures I see make the slide look 'gold' vs FDE. Is this the case in person?

I shot one this weekend that a freind bought offf of GB last week. The sights are busy and I wasn't crazy about them and the slide definately looks gold no doubt about it, not even close to FDE.

Greg

I looked at one last monday at a local sporting goods store. They said that they are having problems finding m&ps for stock right now so when they found this one they ordered it. They didnt ask what color it was. When they got it, they found out that the frame is a darker gold and the slide is a bright shiny gold. The sights, well yeah. Nothing tactical about the color of that gun.

M&P's have been in terribly short supply for most of 2011 due to S&W's export and govn't contract business. Most of those contracts have clauses that product must be delivered by X date or pay a penalty. In those cases the commercial supply takes the hit, as commercial firearms wholesalers do not have penalties for non delivery.

Second point on why VTAC M&P's are hard to find; the third party contractor finishing slides for S&W did make several slides (and S&W QC let them get out in the wild) that were GOLD (yes, shiny gold like a Desert Eagle).

We have had about a dozen through the local shop, pure luck getting them, and almost all of them stayed in the hands of the local shop guys and hangers on. I have one that I have a few thousand rounds through and is my daily carry gun. My gunsmith also daily carries his. All of the slides we have gotten through the shop have been a nice FDE color. The guns do draw a lot of attention.

I like the sights a lot. Have even added them to my 40 pro 5" gun. You really never see all of the inserts at one time unless you are just handling the pistol and focusing on the sights. Generally, due to the way the eye focuses on a single plain, you will see just the front sight of the gun. Coupled with the fact that the vast majority of lighting conditions make either the fiber optic or the tritium visible, you will just get one clear front dot and two blurry rear dots. They are not as good as a set of pure fiber optic sights for competition shooting, but they are pretty quick and they are one set of sights that are pretty darn good for ALL lighting conditions. I would like to have seen some type of color or size differentiation between the front and rear.

Now the bad news concerning the VTAC guns (or maybe just mine): I just received my replacement frame from Smith & Wesson for my gun last week. About 4 months after I received the gun the mags stopped dropping free. The problem progressively got worse until it reached the point that I really had to push hard to get the mag into the gun. I went the gun in at about the 6 month mark. About the same time my gunsmith started noticing a little bit of friction while seating his mags. He has not sent his in and it has not gotten any worse on his gun in the last month or so.

We have about 8 of the VTac guns floating around our regular shooting group and no one else has had this problem, but the rest do not daily carry their guns and do not have the number of rounds through theirs that I do. I also contacted VTAC and they told me that they had received a number of the guns and had had zero problems with them. We also have not seen any problems with the tan framed 45 guns. I am cautiously optomistic that I will not see the issue again.

The only other thing to keep in mind is that (last time I checked) a number of the Apex Tactical trigger upgrades were not compatible with the VTAC guns. Including my beloved RAM.

Hope this info is helpful.

Hope that info is helpful...Shoot, that is exactly what I wanted to hear! I am also glad to hear there are some slides out there that are the FDE color they are supposed to be. I may still buy one of these one day...but I now know it will have to be one I find in person and not risk ordering it and the gun showing up with a bright gold slide.

What as the reason behing the mag sticking?? Was it ever diagnosed or was the frame just replaced and everyone moved on?

I also thought about just getting the tan M&P9, but I did like the fiber opitic sights and the FDE slide. Maybe I should just find a tan one and buy the VTAC sights extra. Price equals out if I don't care about the coated slide.

Hope that info is helpful...Shoot, that is exactly what I wanted to hear! I am also glad to hear there are some slides out there that are the FDE color they are supposed to be. I may still buy one of these one day...but I now know it will have to be one I find in person and not risk ordering it and the gun showing up with a bright gold slide.

What as the reason behing the mag sticking?? Was it ever diagnosed or was the frame just replaced and everyone moved on?

I also thought about just getting the tan M&P9, but I did like the fiber opitic sights and the FDE slide. Maybe I should just find a tan one and buy the VTAC sights extra. Price equals out if I don't care about the coated slide.

No one knows at this point if it is an isolated incident, a single bad run of frames, or something else. S&W replaced the frame and claimed it is the only one they have seen. I assume that I have more rounds through my VTAC than most owners have through theirs.

As far as I know the VTAC guns are the only tan M&P 9mm or 40s in the lineup. I don't think you have any other options except the 45. We have cerakoted the slide on a 45 compact w the tan frame and it looks pretty darn good. We put some of the Trijicon HD sights on it and some of our shooters actually like them better than the fiber optic VTAC sights.

As far as I know the VTAC guns are the only tan M&P 9mm or 40s in the lineup. I don't think you have any other options except the 45. We have cerakoted the slide on a 45 compact w the tan frame and it looks pretty darn good. We put some of the Trijicon HD sights on it and some of our shooters actually like them better than the fiber optic VTAC sights.

Yup, you are right. I think the tan M&Ps are only in 45. Do you have any pictures of the cerakoted 45 compact? I wouldn't mind seeing what it looks like.

If anyone still wants the VTAC 9mm, let me know. My local shop has two in stock as of yesterday with the FDE slide, not the gold slide. They want $735 each if I remember correctly. I've seen both in person, the gold and the flat colored ones, the flat colored ones are much nicer. I thought about buying one but I already have a blk 4.25 and a Pro 5"