Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"gamer" vs. carry rig - some numbers

C.W.

I decided to shoot my carry in last Saturday's match, and I had a couple days off before the match to play with it, I thought you guys might be interested in some comparisons with my match rig.

Carry - Glock 27 (subcompact) , box stock save mepro 3-dot tritium sights, IWB crossbreed supertuck.

"match" rig (what I usually shoot) - Glock 35, Vanek trigger, Warren - Sevigny sights, Bladetec Kydex.

At the chrono -

G35 - avg vel. 739 for a pf of 133 (180g Berrys,2.9g Clays)

G27 - avg vel. 689 for a pf of 124 (same load)

I had set up the classifier a couple months ago in practice and ran it with the G35. The times were -

G35 - 97.08, 98.81

So to satisfy my curiosity I set the Classifier up last Friday (the day before the match) and ran it a couple times with the G27 (and the IWB holster as described above). The times were -

G27 - 118.00 , 113.5

At the match (my impressions)-

I shot surprisingly accurately with the G27. The stages didn't feel slower, but when I saw the time, it was slower than it felt. I wasn't trying to slow down to make hits, my subconscious must have made me. The scores aren't back yet, but my feeling is I probably placed about where I usually do.

What does it all mean? (probably not a lot - lol;))

Hopefully this will help someone who is considering shooting their carry, or the other way - considering getting a more dedicated gun for IDPA - with what to expect.

Scores are in - 2nd in division by 2 sec, about 10 sec behind the guys I usually finish with (fwiw).

Edited by C.W.

FWIW, I shoot my SA EMP (3" 1911) in SS (USPSA) which is also my carry gun. My reason is because I can't afford a dedicated USPSA gun. It's definitely a challenge shooting with a short sight radius and limited capacity. I suspect the recoil is also less in a full-size.

However, I will say that I like it personally. I like to know that I'm proficient with the gun I carry everyday. I recently did get some gear though, so I'm using CR Speed belt/pouches and a Blade-Tech SRB holster.

BTW I also carry in a CBST, great holster. I haven't tried IDPA yet, unfortunately they are the same time the USPSA matches are.

Edited by polizei1

I have always been very serious about shooting my carry gun in competition. If the purpose of competition, for me, is to get better with my carry gun - and it is - then it makes absolutely no sense to me to compete with anything else. Over the years competition has had its effect on my carry gun, but the effect has not been to carry one gun, compete with another. Rather the effect has been that my carry guns have become larger, service (Glock 17) or competition-sized (Glock 34) versus the smaller "middleweights" like the Glock 19 or SIG P228 that I used to carry.

I've shot my G26 in quite a few matches this year (USPSA and Steel Challenge).

I saw a similar power factor difference (as noted above) between my G26 and my G34.

There were times when I shot the G26 as well...or better...than the G34. (So, one might rule the gun out as being part of the equation in those instances.)

There were a few times when things went wrong...and they were measurably harder to overcome with the smaller gun.

I have one instance that I remember distinctly. I had hit a reload and came into a new shooting position, with a small plate to shoot...a distance away. During the reload, I had messed up my grip. The grip on the G26 is small. Stuff happens.

With my G34, experience tells me that I could have pressed through that. And, so I tried with the G26. What looked like it would be a good trigger press and result in a hit...would just miss as I mashed through the trigger with that poor grip that allowed the gun to move around a bit on me. And, the short sight radius wasn't quite given enough feedback to allow me to correct very easily.

On the other hand, I've shot matches with tough/far targets and had great results with the G26.

I'd say the G26 isn't as forgiven to mistakes. Overall, I'd put it at a 10% disadvantage to a full size gun. (for me)

I have always been very serious about shooting my carry gun in competition. If the purpose of competition, for me, is to get better with my carry gun - and it is - then it makes absolutely no sense to me to compete with anything else. Over the years competition has had its effect on my carry gun, but the effect has not been to carry one gun, compete with another. Rather the effect has been that my carry guns have become larger, service (Glock 17) or competition-sized (Glock 34) versus the smaller "middleweights" like the Glock 19 or SIG P228 that I used to carry.

Very similar history for me. Well said.

Sig 226 357SIG with Gold Dots. SOs that have never shot USPSA HATE them :surprise: It kinda makes them duck

I shoot USPSA and I still hate 357 sig because I end up with that silly brass mixed in. If you reload them, I'll bring you a bag of brass when I finish sorting my bucket of range brass.

I shoot my carry - Detonics Combat Master - three or four times a year, including the occasional sanctioned match. Last Summer, shooting CDP with my usual 5", 8+1 gun, I finished second Expert, by five seconds, at a sanctioned match. Two or three weeks later, I shot against the same guy with my carry, loaded 7+1. He beat me by about a minute! At the local level, I also try to put some mileage on a lightweight Commander, and my performance isn't dramatically different from what I see with the fullsize gun. I think being short one round on the initial load with the Combat Master makes more difference than the ultra-short sight radius and grip frame. I've never even attempted the classifier with either of the short guns, but I'd expect my score to suffer by ten-fifteen seconds, as the long-range emphasis of the CoF would hurt inordinately.

I've shot several IDPA matches with my LW J frame.

I lost.

You have Steel Challenge at Atlanta, right?

We ran a "J-frame Challenge" recently at our Steel Challenge match. Worked out pretty well. (5 targets per run :) )

As a side match or a division?

Sounds like getting a divorce, painfully fun.

We ran it like a division. Started at low-ready (not everybody has a suitable holster, and if they do...well...that is gamey. lol).

We tried to talk everybody into bringing their light weigh gun with the grips they really carry with. (though we weren't yet looking to turn anybody away).

We got 8 really good shooters to play. Very instructional. (I have a thread on it around here some place.)

Sig 226 357SIG with Gold Dots. SOs that have never shot USPSA HATE them :surprise: It kinda makes them duck

When I shoot the M&P357, (8.8grs Longshot behind a 125gr Zero) there are even a few USPSA ROs that take a few steps back when I get up to the line. It's funny when I finish up and hear people that haven't shot with me before go "What the heck was THAT?" :roflol:

I shoot USPSA and I still hate 357 sig because I end up with that silly brass mixed in. If you reload them, I'll bring you a bag of brass when I finish sorting my bucket of range brass.

Thanks but I have 3-5 gallon pails of it and enough ammo loaded to shoot for the next year so sell it for scrap :cheers:

When I shoot the M&P357, (8.8grs Longshot behind a 125gr Zero) there are even a few USPSA ROs that take a few steps back when I get up to the line. It's funny when I finish up and hear people that haven't shot with me before go "What the heck was THAT?" :roflol:

I like the gold dots in low light best flamethrower.gif

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

• 2 months later...

Does anyone else here exclusively compete with their carry gun/holster?

Actually, at this point in time I do. My daily carry is OWB with a cover garment as needed. It generally shoots in CDP.

Although buying a dedicated IDPA gun would be easy, I'm just not so sure I want to do that as I really don't need another gun and currently, I'm in IDPA for good, weekly practice with the carry gun.

I'm sure that down the road I'll get tired of having the dedicated box guns beating up my times week after week, but for now I'll stick with the daily carry and be happy that all the targets get clobbered on schedule.

AD

I shoot all my defensive handgun classes, IDPA and USPSA with my every day carry gun, XD-9 Service 4" barrel. Up till a few months ago I also used my every day holster too, Kramer OWB. Now I use a Blade Tech OWB holster for classes and matches. Sometimes I'll use the Blade Tech for carry but not that often.

For my fulltime job i carry a Glock 21. For off duty/partime work and personal carry I have my 1911. I have competed with my 1911 but never my 21. I have always liked the 1911 and enjoy shooting SS. I get plenty of practice with the Glock, but never have enjoyed it as much as my single stack pistols.

I bought a CZ 75 Shadow T to shoot specifically in IDPA. Two weeks prior to this year's Georgia IDPA Championship, I picked up a second CZ, a 75B converted to SAO, as my carry gun. It came with a FO front sight and a tactical rear sight. At the last minute, I chose to shoot the carry gun in the Georgia match. It ran like a top until half way though, the rear sight came loose. It took me two stages to figure out why I was missing the distance shots. We fixed it but, by that time, the match was over for me. That being said, I have no problem shooting the 75B in another match.

FWIW, I shoot my SA EMP (3" 1911) in SS (USPSA) which is also my carry gun. My reason is because I can't afford a dedicated USPSA gun. It's definitely a challenge shooting with a short sight radius and limited capacity. I suspect the recoil is also less in a full-size.

However, I will say that I like it personally. I like to know that I'm proficient with the gun I carry everyday. I recently did get some gear though, so I'm using CR Speed belt/pouches and a Blade-Tech SRB holster.

BTW I also carry in a CBST, great holster. I haven't tried IDPA yet, unfortunately they are the same time the USPSA matches are.

My wife also shoots her EMP 9mm in USPSA and loves it great gun she also is upgrading gear this week she just don't know it yet :) Santa came early.

I used to, found I liked winning/doing well better so I don't as often anymore. There is a LEO who shoots regularly at the local matches with his duty gear; a G35, factory ammo + attached light, full belt [radio, cuffs,etc] w/body armor in the summer [+100deg heat here]!