Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swinging Texas Star

I shot the 2011 Mile High Showdown this past weekend and they had an interesting shooting challenge. It was a Swinging Texas Star. Below is a video of me running the stage with this evil contraption. I considered myself lucky to clear the swinging star without too much crazyness. I watched more than a few shooters take 2 - 3 full mags to clear the swinging star. They at least had you warm up on a "Normal" Texas star at the start of the stage :devil:

Edited by CHA-LEE

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The swinging star was basically a normal Texas star that was mounted upside down to a bearing shaft at the top of some boards built into a frame that would support the weight of it. It was "Set" by pushing it to the left then propping a board under the center point of the stars frame. It was activated by opening the port which had a board sticking down that hit a step pad which in turn pulled the supporting board out from under the star to get it swinging. This was a really heavy contraption that in the end stopped functioning correctly because the bearing at the top broke loose and allowed the star to swing front to back as well as side to side causing plates to fling off before they were shot. We had to throw the stage out of the match because some shooters were allowed to continue after the plates flung off and we didn't have time in the match to reshoot a bunch of squads. I was lucky enough to be one of the people to get to shoot it though :cheers:

I am sure we will see this bad boy again at one of our local matches :devil:

Oh God... I love that thing!

I'm going to have to build one for South River.... :devil:

You already have most of it built up at the shoothouse, just weld the star to it and your good to go....

You read my mind.. I'm going to look into it this weekend. I'm doing a 3-Gun match next month.. might be fun with a shotgun.

and John... play nice now...

Oh God... I love that thing!

I'm going to have to build one for South River.... :devil:

You already have most of it built up at the shoothouse, just weld the star to it and your good to go....

You read my mind.. I'm going to look into it this weekend. I'm doing a 3-Gun match next month.. might be fun with a shotgun.

and John... play nice now...

Heck yeah it would be fun with the scatterguns.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

OMG that's evil.... I can see myself dumping 3 mags at it.

So could I, but it was not that bad. I shot 1 extra round at the normal star, then two at the right target moving to the port and then reloaded. I think I shot about 8 or 9 rounds to clear the swinging star. It follows the realm of normal physics and I thought about it. No one on my RO squad of mastly lower class shooters had ever even seen it. The shooters who went through 2 or 3 magazines had a miss and then hit a plate off sequence leaving a 1 and 2, then that sucker started to twirl wildly. It just swung, not spinning, until you shot the first plate.

I almost think shotgun would detract from the challenge. Now rifle at say 100...move over MGM spinners. :devil:

Neither of those videos show the true disaster factor of that star. (I heard that Paul was calling it the Jr. Star)

Carlie and Hannu cleaned that thing as well as you could. If you didn't shoot it clean and started missing once you got a few plates off, that thing took off like that one carnival ride called the Zipper.