Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 9mm 125gr HAP w/Titegroup

Severian

I'm going to try some HAP 9mm 125gr bullets in my STI Trojan. I've been using 147gr lead for a while now, but that bullet may be a bit to heavy. I can't find any load data on the HAP bullets. This is an IDPA gun so I'm looking to get just over 1000 fps to make power factor for ESP. I'm using Titegroup powder. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for powder and OAL data. Thanks!

Just look for Data using a 124JHP/FMJ.. Hodgdon has lots of titegroup data on their site. You'll probably end up somewhere about 4.0-4.1 to make a good PF buffer in the 130-135 range.

The HAP's shot the best for me about 1.130 COL in my 1911, but pick whatever your gun likes the best.

HAP's are expensive also.. so you could shoot Zero's or Montana Gold for less money.

Just look for Data using a 124JHP/FMJ.. Hodgdon has lots of titegroup data on their site. You'll probably end up somewhere about 4.0-4.1 to make a good PF buffer in the 130-135 range.

The HAP's shot the best for me about 1.130 COL in my 1911, but pick whatever your gun likes the best.

HAP's are expensive also.. so you could shoot Zero's or Montana Gold for less money.

Good load. Should work well with HAP, XTP, or Zeros. Try them all and see what is most accurate in your pistol. :cheers:

I'm loading 4.1gr Titegroup @1.145" under the 124gr JHP from Precision Delta. Their JHPs are more uniform than the FMJs. Can't say if they're more accurate. Lots of things have changed since I shot the FMJs.

Thanks, Ken. I got a pretty good deal on the Hornady HAPs. I keep reading about how accurate they are. And I'm sick and tired of the smoke from my lead rounds. I'm very happy with the accuracy of the lead, but the smoke is killing me. I'll see how I do with the 125gr bullets in a few weeks. Thanks.

Okay. I was able to make a bunch of test loads this week and fire them this morning. Here's what I found.

125g HAP, 4.1gr TiteGroup, OAL 1.145 w/my Trojan: average 1060 fps. I.5 inch groups at 21 yards

125g HAP, 4.1gr TiteGroup, OAL 1.145 w/my M&P Pro: average 1110 fps. 1.5 inch groups at 21 yards

125g HAP, 4.1gr TiteGroup, OAL 1.130 w/my Trojan: average 1080 fps. 1.6 inch groups at 21 yards

125g HAP, 4.1gr TiteGroup, OAL 1.130 w/my M&P PRO: average 1124 fps. 1.7 inch groups at 21 yards

125g HAP, 3.7gr TiteGroup, OAL 1.131 w/my Trojan: average 980 fps (too low).

125g HAP, 3.7gr TiteGroup, OAL 1.131 w/my M&P PRO: average 1024 fps (too low). 1.5 inch group at 21 yards

I think I'm gonna go with 3.9gr TG and an OAL 1.145 to shoot in my M&P Pro. I tried a lot of fast shooting drills with the HAP bullet and like how it performs. I was able to routinely get below 2 secs with zero down (IDPA) shooting from hostler with 2 shots to the body, one to the head, at 8 yards. Nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Great information. I'm new to reloading and am a little puzzled with the OAL mentioned. The Lyman book and Hornaday book reference OAL shorter than reported here with the longest at 1.075 (124gr XTP). I'm ready to make my 1st batch of HAPs but sort of questioning the OAL I should use.

Thanks in advance for guidance and information. To date I've pretty much stuck to the books but as others have stated, no HAP data found for 125gr.

Thanks!

Great information. I'm new to reloading and am a little puzzled with the OAL mentioned. The Lyman book and Hornaday book reference OAL shorter than reported here with the longest at 1.075 (124gr XTP). I'm ready to make my 1st batch of HAPs but sort of questioning the OAL I should use.

Thanks in advance for guidance and information. To date I've pretty much stuck to the books but as others have stated, no HAP data found for 125gr.

Thanks!

Depends on a lot of stuff. I generally get better results (accuracy) with a longer OAL in my guns. But you need to make sure that it feeds properly into your barrel and that your magazines can handle a longer OAL. I can go to about 1.160 in my M&P and get good results, especially with lead. That's too long for my STI Trojan. Use an OAL that works best for your gun and the gives you the best accuracy. Experiment.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it's not the Hornady 125 gr. HAP but the Precision Delta 124 gr. JHP is close...

Gun:  Glock 34 with factory barrel

Bullet:  Precision Delta 124 gr. JHP
Powder:  Hodgdon Titegroup 4.0 grs
Primer:  CCI-500
Case:  Mixed Federal
LOAL:  1.113 – 1.114 (.843 Base to Ogive with Stoney Point)
Average Velocity:  1080.62 fps  
PF:  133
Recoil Spring:  ISMI 13 lb. recoil spring and Jager Polymer Guide Rod