Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rotater cuff surgery, shooting anyway

Joe L

Another update as of Saturday, Jan 28. I was out of town for 2 weeks, no shooting at all, but continued range of motion therapy on the right arm and strengthening on the left while gone. Went to the range less than 2 hours after getting off the plane and was able to shoot 400 rounds total from three different guns. First time I was able to shoot right handed using a normal 2 hand grip. Split up shooting equal round count with left hand and right hand. Was able to shoot 3 IDPA target drills, 2 shots/target, but not from a draw. These drills felt great, either hand!

I shot slow groups from 25 yards standing and from 33 yards on a rest. I can still shoot more accurately with the left hand but should be getting the right hand shooting down almost back where I was with another few hundred rounds.

It was very strange to see that I was perfectly comfortable and competent shooting left hand and left hand only at 25 yards. I guess the 4000 rounds of left hand only paid off. I was even able to shoot the 1911 well left hand only, even though I had shot only a couple of hundred rounds left hand only with that gun during the time my right arm was in a sling.

All I can offer is encouragement to anyone with an arm out of commission. Use the time to improve your single hand only shooting skills, and I'm not talking about a couple of boxes. I'm talking about starting over and REALLY practicing enough to get completely comfortable shooting single hand only with your weak hand. It can be done. I've seen the results first hand. Practice works every time its tried.

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

Three weeks out of the sling, slowly the right arm and trigger finger are coming back. This is the best so far, and I don't think I shot this tight a group freehand BEFORE the surgery. I'm happy. Can't draw or point the gun well yet, but at least I can shoot it once I get it on target.

i-FdTGQvN-M.jpg

This is fun, again.

Joe

I agree with all that said DO YOU REHAB. Had surgery in 2009 on the right shoulder, two bone spurs. Taken care of and have not looked back. Did rehab 6 weeks after surgery and out of sling. Started shooting again 6 weeks after surgery. As strong as before and have 100% motion and no pain.

Good Luck

Mike

• 1 month later...

I spent March breaking in a new gun and finally doing some six shot from a draw drill. I'm better now than before surgery. This whole experience has taught me a lot about shooting, especially weak hand and single hand. Not a bad experience, really.

Joe

• 3 months later...

Shot a club match yesterday, July 14. All went well physically. I made mistakes typical of someone that hadn't shot a match this year. Two procedurals, slow transitions, but I shot accurately, just slowly. Shoulders were no problem at all, so I would say I have improved my slow group shooting skills while recuperating from shoulder surgeries, but I have to almost start over learning shooting on the move.

Joe

• 1 month later...

It's now September, and I've continued to improve strength in both shoulders. All is good, actually all is excellent. I've learned a lot about training, persevering, and staying positive and patient while recovering. I offer my experience in the hopes that others will have as positive an experience as I have had in recovering from surgeries which, at first, one may have assumed would end their shooting hobby. I'm better now than before the surgeries. I'm certainly more confident about what can be achieved through good doctors, good therapy, and good efforts.

Joe

• 1 month later...

It's now September, and I've continued to improve strength in both shoulders. All is good, actually all is excellent. I've learned a lot about training, persevering, and staying positive and patient while recovering. I offer my experience in the hopes that others will have as positive an experience as I have had in recovering from surgeries which, at first, one may have assumed would end their shooting hobby. I'm better now than before the surgeries. I'm certainly more confident about what can be achieved through good doctors, good therapy, and good efforts.

Joe

I have had weak hand shoulder issues for sometime. I still have good range of motion and I am trying to rehab without surgery. I was successful with the right shoulder and things seem to be going slow but well. I have had to change my workouts to avoid bench press, push ups ect. As I have gotten older it takes longer to recover and it's hard to be patient. I have enjoyed reading your posts, Thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

Joe

Great news. Been there, done that. Your effort and has been rewarded. Don't ease up on the rehab. Even when you think your 100%, hang in there a little longer.

Thanks for the recent replies, gentlemen. I have another monthly IDPA club match this coming weekend. Finished second in ESP last month, so I am doing well. Shoulders are both OK, may even put a transmission back in the race car this coming weekend as well.

Joe

Thanks for the recent replies, gentlemen. I have another monthly IDPA club match this coming weekend. Finished second in ESP last month, so I am doing well. Shoulders are both OK, may even put a transmission back in the race car this coming weekend as well.

Joe

Be careful.

I have upcoming surgery next month for a torn biceps tendon in my strong arm.

Nice to find some encouragement in this thread, seems like with some perseverance it's possible to come back 100%

Life is always throwing things at you. keep at it, good luck.

• 6 years later...

I injured my right (strong) shoulder in a fall at work in 2010 and after an MRI it was determined I had a partial tear

of one of the muscles in my Rotator Cuff.  The tear is basically on the front of my shoulder.  My Surgeon did not

want to do Surgery and said I could get a second opinion.  I chose to follow his instructions and did not have

surgery.  For me I believe it was the correct decision.  After a second injury in 2016 I again chose not to do

surgery.  I have lost the ability to shoot Shotguns & high power Rifles and major ammo.  So I shoot Minor and 

small caliber rifles and have a great time.  I do have some pain, but not much and I in Clint Eastwoods words,

"a mans got to know his  limitations" and I do.  Do I have regrets, no I do not.  Surgery is the right thing for most

but not for all.......

• 3 years later...