Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 LR M&P update?

E Mont

Since reading about it in "Front Sight", I have been waiting for the rimfire equivalent of my 9 Pro. The M&P Pro 9 could not impress me more, so naturally I want the "cheaper to shoot" version.

It is now July and I keep hearing only bad things. What is the latest? Shirley S&W will not drop the ball on this one!

~ E Mont

I got this info from Smith & Wesson:

Smith & Wesson Corp.

NOT Umarex. The M&P22 is made by the .22 experts at Carl Walther, GmbH for S&W. You may know that S&W is the exclusive distributor of Walther firearms in the USA - it's a terrific strategic partnership.

From the Umarex website:

Umarex USA, Inc. began with the Umarex Group’s acquisition of RUAG Ammotec USA (Dynamit Nobel), North American marketers of the famous RWS brand of premium adult airguns. Later named Umarex USA and combined with the world class products from German based Umarex, the parent company of Walther Firearms,

I got this info from Smith & Wesson:

Smith & Wesson Corp.

NOT Umarex. The M&P22 is made by the .22 experts at Carl Walther, GmbH for S&W. You may know that S&W is the exclusive distributor of Walther firearms in the USA - it's a terrific strategic partnership.

I was hoping that S&W would offer a 22 conversion unit for their M&P9Pro. Instead S&W decided to go with a look a like version of an M&P much like the 1911 look alikes you see in 22LR. S&W probably felt that the investment would not pay off. If they did not want to develop it in house they could have contracted with Tactical Soluitions to develop a unit. The TacSol 1911 unit is first rate (although not bullseye level quality) and they have announced a unit for the Glock-17.