Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1-4x scopes or good 3 gun/tactical scopes

i recently shot my first three gun in the tactical iron division and am looking for a good scope to put on my 16in ar-15. i would like it to be useful for both 3 gun and home defense use. i am also a college student so dont have much money to spend. i have looked at the leatherwood cmr and it looks good. any thought? or any possible used ones i could buy?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burris TAC30, 300 bucks

done

I have much more expensive scopes and ACOGs, the TAC30 just works great for 3 gun

+1

other popular scopes are Burris XTR and Nightforce.

LaRue mount, regardless of the scope. Nothing worst than having a good scope thats gets out of zero because of the mount.

i really like the looks of the burris tac30 and xtr. what advantages does the xtr have over the tac30, and is it worth the extra money? also is the burris pepr mount any good because i dont think i can afford a larue mount

I just ordered a primary arms 1x4. I could not find a tac 30. The primary arms scope is supposed to be the same scope as the millet. I think it was around $119. It is to be here tuesday. It had good reviews on other sites. There is a review on youtube. I guess I will find out shortly. I also purchased a mount.

i recently shot my first three gun in the tactical iron division and am looking for a good scope to put on my 16in ar-15. i would like it to be useful for both 3 gun and home defense use. i am also a college student so dont have much money to spend. i have looked at the leatherwood cmr and it looks good. any thought? or any possible used ones i could buy?

Stay in Tac Iron and spend your limited $$$ on ammo for practice... :blink:

jj

millet dms-1 for about $200 bucks

I have 3 of these. I paid $150-175 each. One on my practice .223, one on my Nordic components NC22, and one on my 5.45x39mm S&W rifle. All are mounted in $150-175 used LaRue LT-139 SPR-E mounts. That's the best $300-350 setup for 3 gun as far as I can tell.

Here's another vote for the LaRue mount. You may want a different scope later but you'll always have the best mount if you start right.

And just a though because you mentioned home defense, thought about an EOTech? You can add a magnifier later if desired and no extra mount needed. IMO, it's the best CQB optic out there.

I got to test both the Tac 30 and the Viper 1-4, preferred the Tac30

shot both, could have kept either for free, kept the TAC30, gave the Viper to my brother

Edited by ccoker

I used a Millet last year (my first year in 3gun) and it was ok. However after talking to some shooters and looking through a tac30 I bought one and have used it this year. The clarity to me is much better allowing me to see the 400 yd and further targets much clearer. For me it was worth the extra money. Good luck!

Jim

in short, I just found the reticle easier for me, either illuminated or off, and illuminated it's much, much brighter

I usually am not fond of BDC reticles and prefer a mil based reticle but for the 1-4 and intended use I found the dots just quicker and easier

I checked the data with both 55g and 77g and tested in 100yard increments out to 500 yards on steel plates.

lack of a hold off line at 500 yards in high wind is a tad more challenging and may take a shot to walk in.

The 77g load requires much less hold into the wind than the 55g so, it's not really an issue in all honesty

tomorrow I am going to test the Weaver 1-5, the TAC30 and a TA33 green horseshoe reticle out to 500

• 2 weeks later...

in short, I just found the reticle easier for me, either illuminated or off, and illuminated it's much, much brighter

I usually am not fond of BDC reticles and prefer a mil based reticle but for the 1-4 and intended use I found the dots just quicker and easier

I checked the data with both 55g and 77g and tested in 100yard increments out to 500 yards on steel plates.

lack of a hold off line at 500 yards in high wind is a tad more challenging and may take a shot to walk in.

The 77g load requires much less hold into the wind than the 55g so, it's not really an issue in all honesty

tomorrow I am going to test the Weaver 1-5, the TAC30 and a TA33 green horseshoe reticle out to 500

I'm running a TA33RH ( red horseshoe ) and am considering going to a 1-4x variable due to closer shots being tougher with a fixed 3x.

What is the closest distance that you will be shooting?

I am looking forward to hearing your comparison.

I've been running the Leatherwood CMR 1x4 in local 3-gun events for almost a year. Mounted it on my Rock River AR with a Larue mount. Excellent value of a scope, though many think it is below their capability. Tracks true and glass is suitable, however the illumination is not effective in bright day (the black provides a better contrast anyway). I have used this setup to successfully engage paper and steel targets from 25 to 500 yards...know you dope. Again, excellent value - your don't need to get on the optics treadmill unless you really want to.

Edited by CmbtEngr

I have used many 1-4x scopes and in your budget there is not much room for choice. First of all don't buy a crappy Larue mount for almost $200 when the other guys who told you to buy one didn't give even care that you said you were on a budget and talking about a cheaper scope. First of all even if you had the money to buy a good mount go with anything but larue. (ADM, BOBRO, Seekins, Badger) all make good rings and mounts. Now the Millet will be your best choice in the budget if you want to save a bit for a mount. Millets and the mount can run used as a package for about $300 and under. The TAC-30 is a good scope for the money also. I have used ACOGS and would never use one for 3-gun or any competition shooting. The 1-4x line is good but there is better for cheaper. I like the Burris XTRs but more money than you want to spend. The Vortex line is looking good and the SS series is looking even better for the 3-gun area. If I were you I would go for a Millet DMS or a TAC-30 in a burris PEPR mount and have some fun shooting.