Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1-4x scopes or good 3 gun/tactical scopes

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to orrect my post - weaver v3 magnification is NOT a true 1x - it seems so at a distance, but both eyes open @ 1yard i can notice the difference. Not much, but it is there...

I thought most '1x' variable scopes were like this, although to varying degrees.

Most cheap scopes. Check for True 1x when purchasing a higher end scope, there is a big change in the way they work up close.

I use a Trijicon ACOG TA31F with my BUIS on 45 degree angle mounts so I can engage targets way out to 800 meters but still be quick on those 3 yd shots. If youre looking for a good 1-4 powrer scope, the Vortex tactical 1-4 with the ballistically compensated 5.56 reticle is awesome.

Vortex PST 1-4x with either MOA/MOA or mil/mil reticle. It's a $1k scope for less than $500. The glass is better than Leupold, adjustments are positive and the diopter makes for fast adjustments. With the American Defense Scout mount it's awesome and you're running for under $700.

If you want more info including on where to get one at a solid price feel free to PM me.

Well...hey... This has been an entertaining thread...

Pardon my curt or terse reply but the term "budget" and "three gun" just don't belong in the same sentence together.

Like one other poster already mentioned, stick with the irons and spend the money on ammo, to practice with instead.

^^^ WOW! Well, that's a guy I haven't heard from in a while.

:cheers:

Me? Personally? I like the signal to noise ratio this forum normally exhibits (unlike other forums I have been on).

I really don't have much room to talk because I have been in my share of internet pee'ing contests. Although now that I am a MD, I think I have toned it down quite a bit and just try to stick to the facts. And if I say something that is just my opinion, I make it a point to label it as such.

Poo-poo'ing Larue around here on this forum would be like bagging on Dillon progressive presses. It's gonna elicit a response.

anywhooo....back on topic...me, I am cheap, so I just have my 17 year old Nikon 3-9X40 scope sitting in a $60 Model 1 Sales screw on clamp on mount.

But then again, I have two ACOG's and an ELCAN now.

Maybe my next purchase will be a Trijicon TR24, which should be worthy of sitting in a Larue SPRE mount.

I like having the 9 power of the Nikon scope when I am bench shooting my handloads around here, which means just 100 and 200 yards.

So getting back to our O.P., you can save your pennies, and just keep your eyes peeled for a good mount and a good scope in this forum's classifieds section, and buy used.

Or you can ask mom and dad for good glass and a mount as a Christmas present.

Or keep shooting irons until you get out of college and get a job making real money. You can figure 1,000 rounds of steel cased imported .223 ammo would probably run you about $235 (23 cents per round). which would be about the total sum for the Millet/Weave/Leatherwood scope plus an el cheapo (Model 1 Sales) mount.

I'd rather have the ammo and the ability to practice, instead of a scoped AR without any ammo. in my opinion....

well i made my decision and ended up buying the burris mtac when swfa had the deal on them. im suppose to get it on monday and am very excited to test it out

You will be happy with it. What mount did you go with? The Burris PEPR?