Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38SC Autocomp Starting Load?

drysideshooter

Before anyone asks, yes I have used the search function and read all of the posts I can find for a couple of weeks. I would appreciate it if someone with some 38SC experience could just let me know if I'm on the right path.

Here is the gun:

i-X4hJcmP-M.jpg

Gun will be used for USPSA and steel challenge. I am looking first for a load to get to major PF for USPSA and after that I'll either use a lighter bullet with the same load or lighten it up a bit, or maybe leave it the same.

I can't get Vit powder locally, though I plan to get some to try. Winchester Autocomp is readily available locally, and I thought I would start there. Using the gun from the pic, I am thinking about starting at 7.2 grains loaded to 1.260" using new Starline brass and CCI SPP. Does that seem like a reasonable place to start, or is it too low considering the compensator and holes?

I can probably get a couple of the popular IMR powders locally as well, though I've read they are pretty temperature sensitive (reverse temp). I live in eastern WA which is the dry, desert part of the state. We shoot all year and the temperatures can vary quite a bit.

Any help appreciated, and thanks in advance.

I didn't see where you mentioned bullet weight?

Before having my facotry SV in 9x23 redone into a 9mm I got some autocomp to try in the 9x23. You can see in the pic that it was a 4 port hybrid with the multi port comp.

In that top end I got these results:

124 CMJ

Win brass

CCI small rifle primer

7.2 AC - 1,346 fps ave

7.4 AC - 1,372 fps ave

post-922-0-54151200-1307747999_thumb.jpg

I didn't see where you mentioned bullet weight?

Before having my facotry SV in 9x23 redone into a 9mm I got some autocomp to try in the 9x23. You can see in the pic that it was a 4 port hybrid with the multi port comp.

In that top end I got these results:

124 CMJ

Win brass

CCI small rifle primer

7.2 AC - 1,346 fps ave

7.4 AC - 1,372 fps ave

My bad, you are right. Bullet is a MG 124FMJ.

A local friend that is a long time open shooter(master level) suggested I try 1.260" and see if there were any problems. I loaded up some dummy rounds and they seem to feed and eject okay running the slide by hand. I loaded up some from 7.2-7.6 in .1 increments. I'm meeting him at the range tomorrow and will see how they shoot. I can always seat the bullets a little deeper if needed.

Thanks for all of the help, it is genuinely appreciated. I'll post my results tomorrow. I have to say that I was really pleased with how the Autocomp metered. It was perfectly consistent.

With that rig, and I'll say its a nice one, your going to need to load on the heavy side and that will require a Slower powder. I'd say that wi/124gr you could start with 10gr of N105 and work up. Other powders in that range would be 3N38, AA#7 (10.5gr), IMR4756, BlueDot. N350 would not be bad either about 8.0 and go up. AutoComp works good in 9 major, no as good in 38SC. and might be good if you didn't have all them holes, so work the holes give it plenty of gas. You probably want something in the 172-175pf range.

AutoComp makes a good minor load for an open gun, but so does titegroup, wst, and 231. My personal favorite minor load is 5.0gr of WST with a 124gr for SSC type steel match for falling steel 5.5gr of AutoComp. Requires dropping spring rate for the gun to feel like its actually shooting.

With that rig, and I'll say its a nice one, your going to need to load on the heavy side and that will require a Slower powder. I'd say that wi/124gr you could start with 10gr of N105 and work up. Other powders in that range would be 3N38, AA#7 (10.5gr), IMR4756, BlueDot. N350 would not be bad either about 8.0 and go up. AutoComp works good in 9 major, no as good in 38SC. and might be good if you didn't have all them holes, so work the holes give it plenty of gas. You probably want something in the 172-175pf range.

AutoComp makes a good minor load for an open gun, but so does titegroup, wst, and 231. My personal favorite minor load is 5.0gr of WST with a 124gr for SSC type steel match for falling steel 5.5gr of AutoComp. Requires dropping spring rate for the gun to feel like its actually shooting.

Thanks CocoBolo. I have read a large number of your posts here while searching and have found them very helpful.

I am totally a newbie to open. After shooting the gun yesterday I have to say I am really excited.

With a MG 124FMJ loaded to 1.260" with a CCI SPP 7.7gr of Autocomp gave me a 1388fps high and 1365fps low after 10 rounds. As I said, I'm a newbie, but shooting and watching the dot, it stayed in the glass and the gun felt very, very flat. I am going to pick up some Vit while I am on a trip next week to give it a try. I have to say based on my initial impression, and having extremely little open experience, the load that made major felt good to me.

Ive got a shorty 38super with an older big compensator, I used 8.5 grs of 4756 under a 124 gr winchester FMJ for 170 pf. I am going to a slower powder though probably AA7 if I can find it. I got 8lbs of titegroup so will end up using that for steel minor.

Thanks CocoBolo. I have read a large number of your posts here while searching and have found them very helpful.

I am totally a newbie to open. After shooting the gun yesterday I have to say I am really excited.

With a MG 124FMJ loaded to 1.260" with a CCI SPP 7.7gr of Autocomp gave me a 1388fps high and 1365fps low after 10 rounds. As I said, I'm a newbie, but shooting and watching the dot, it stayed in the glass and the gun felt very, very flat. I am going to pick up some Vit while I am on a trip next week to give it a try. I have to say based on my initial impression, and having extremely little open experience, the load that made major felt good to me.

Be sure to have a look at the primers, if they are flowing then it will wind up taking out the breach face, if they are a little flat well ride with it. There isn't any magic when you find a comfortable load run with it. Its a good pf so just shoot it for a while, master they dot and let load development take a back seat, to learning how to shoot what you got.

On the OAL the recommended length is 1.235 however I have run as long as 1.270 without any issues. If you shorten the OAL you will need to adjust the load, and crono again. But if it isn't broke don't fix it. A good friend was at 1401 fps avg, so he dropped his load .2gr, and then was disappointed when he went minor at Doupble Tap, it wasn't broke and it didn't need fixing.

Edited by CocoBolo

Thanks again.

The primers are a bit flat, but nothing drastic. I will shoot more of the loads the next time I go out and will check them carefully.

Yeah, finding the dot is going to take some practice. It's a different index than finding iron sights for sure, and not as intuitive as to exactly which way to go to start getting a picture like irons. I am going to dryfire practice a lot, and make it to the range regularly.

I'm am waiting for Springer Precision to get some more barrels in and Scott is going to convert my son's XDm 9mm for open minor with a two port comp and a deltapoint. He's really excited about it.

I can tell that open is going to be a whole lot of fun. This forum is such a great resource.

Hi,

I'm shooting a similarly set up Bedell Custom in 38SC. My load is as follows:

MG 124gr JHP

9.0 gr IMR 4756

1.250 OAL

Win Small Rifle Primers

Nice flat shooting round.

Jan

Hi,

I'm shooting a similarly set up Bedell Custom in 38SC. My load is as follows:

MG 124gr JHP

9.0 gr IMR 4756

1.250 OAL

Win Small Rifle Primers

Nice flat shooting round.

Jan

Thanks Jan. 4756 is pretty easy to find where I live. I will get some and give it a try. Much appreciated.

Used to use Autocomp in .38 SC; if I recall my load was a MG 124 gr CMJ or JHP over 7.4 grains of Autcomp, Starline brass, 1.235 oal and a CCI SR primer for 170 or so pf. Had some pressure signs like primer flattening and some slight cratering in fired primers. My gun is a 5" doesnt have any barrel holes but the slide has been chopped up (lightened to 10.8 oz naked). Running a Brazos Thundercomp II comp. I felt Autocomp was a little violent so I switched to Vit 3N38. The gun is noticeably easier to control, shoots softer with absolutely no pressure signs. Vit N105 was nice too but not as soft as the 3N38. I can't get any Vit powders locally either here in Hawaii so I got together a bunch of guys and we ordered 100 lbs of powder from Powder Valley. They have a flat rate of $350 for up to 100 pounds to Hawaii; 3-4 weeks delivery time and I can get exactly what I want. Shipping to the CONUS would be alot cheaper and you canorder the quantity you need

• 3 years later...

Coco, with those minor loads what kind of power factor are you getting? I have a light steel challenge gun with three ports and I'm tying to get down to about a hundred PF.