Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do I need a new gun?

FNilo

I will first say that I did try a search but didn't come up with a good answer for me.

I really just started out shooting USPSA. I am currently using a Sig P220 in production. I know that the p220 doesn't really fit in any division but that is what I have. Being a .45, I feel that I am at somewhat at a disadvantage compaired to others. I do load down my reloads to minor velocities. Not like I expect to be at the top of my class or anything but my competitive nature is coming out.

I have saved a fair amount of Cabela's gift cards (get them for christmas and birthdays, saved them for some years) and I was just thinking that I could pick up a gun that would work a little better for me.

Then again, maybe I should just keep buying supplies and shoot what I have and just learn the game?

I know Cabela's doesn't have the best selection or price on guns but hay it's christmas/birthday money!

Of what there selection is, anything you guys would recommend? M&P, Glock, Springfield..... Or shoot the Sig?

Thanks

Frank

I guess you would have to ask yourself a few questions~

Do you plan on staying in Production? If you do then you could consider Glock 17 or 34, XD 9 or M&P 9. They are the most common as far as I'v seen. If you think you might want to play in a couple divisions maybe production and limited you could go with a Glock 22 or 35 or a XDm 40. When you shoot production load to minor and when you shoot limited load to major and toss a mag well on.

My only other 2cents if the purchase of a new gun would put to big of a dent in your budget where you can't shoot a lot skip the new gun and get more rounds down range with the gun you have now.

Good luck and welcome to the best sport on the planet :)

I would go with the Glock 17. It just works. I currently use an XDM 9 for production and I wish I would have gone with a Gen 3 Glock 17. If you get out of the game, the 17 is still a good carry gun. I currently have too much $$$ sunk into the XDM with 6 magazines and 2 holsters to switch it up this year. That being said you need to get the one that fits your hand the best then get at least 5 mags, a Kydex holster, then eventually try some different sights. Remember, after all is said and done, It is not the Gun. It is the Shooter that plays the Game!

Do you need a new gun? Silly boy, of course you do! He who dies with the most guns wins.:roflol:

Seriously, take your time and do your homework on the why's and wherefore's of what you have planned and the possible need for another gun.

Pat

I don’t know what you have for reloading equipment,

If nothing for 9mm or 40 then you could easily spend as much on new reloading equipment as you do the gun. But 9mm bullets are a lot cheaper then 45.

I shot 45acp for years at 140PF using MG 230 jhp’s and clays powder, very soft and accurate. You can shoot L-10 with what you have and shoot major.

But I am in the group that say’s any excuse to buy a new gun is a good one.

If at all possible try out the guns your thinking about before you spend your cash.

A gun that dose nothing more for you that your current gun, won’t improve your shooting.

Leonard

PS. Buy a S&W 625 (it is 45acp in a revolver)and come over to the fun side of USPSA.

I would shoot for at least 6 months before buying a new gaming gun. A year would be better. During that time shoot the major players. Borrow and beg to shoot some other guns. Several times would be best.

Thanks for all the responses. I know that I should use what I have until I figure out this game. The only thing that I am thinking about is the Sig might need some work on it. The mags don't drop free when changing on the run (have to strip by hand), long and heavy trigger pull ... I just don't want to put good money into something that doesn't really fit in production. But the again, I just started so who knows where I will be going.

I am already set up to load .45 using a 550 (brass and bullets are a little pricy) so I would need to get set up with a different caliber. Add that cash into the calculation.

I take the philosophy of it's the indian, not the bow.

I am talking my self out of a new gun but would just like everyone elses opinon.

I would say most versatile would be G35. You can shoot it Production, L-10 and Lim. Heck you can shoot it in open too if you want :devil:

But CZ SP-01 Shadow gets my vote :cheers:

I traded my G35 for a G34 when I decided I wanted to shoot production. The biggest driving force there was that I wasn't reloading at the time. A couple of months later(I'm a new noob, i was at a range trying to figure out how a semi auto handgun worked exactly a year ago) I bought a Dillon 550 and am now kicking myself a little because I could of just popped off the magwell and loaded to minor when I wanted to shoot production, and loaded to major and used the Dawson Basepads and magwell when I wanted to shoot limited. So now I'm just going to shoot production till I get good :)

I am a firm believer in shooting what you have while starting out, as well as adapting to make that work (Indian>bow).

I'd make the call on brass and bullet prices, myself. I can't bring myself to shoot 45 unless I am getting most all of my brass back and I am using cheaper bullets (locally sourced lead).

For brass, 9mm and 40 run near the same for once fired stuff. Both are readily available. Primers are the same money, and powder is about the same too. The difference in cost is seen in bullet selection.

If you are really going to stick with shooting, and it sounds like you are, I'd start checking out the 9mm Production guns at your local matches. You have a couple of local Grand Masters in SE MI that shoot Production (one is on Team Sig).

The tried and true gun is the Glock 34 (or G17).

For the record, I was one of the first handful of shooters that made Grand Master with a Glock in Limited division. I shot the G35...which fit into most divisions. But, I switched to 9mm for cost savings.

I suspect that getting into 9mm would allow you to shoot more?

I've seen G35's at Cabelas from time to time. Get a Gen3 model and call it good. Cabelas also has M&P Pros that would work great for Production.

I think if you get something like an XD you will eventually want to upgrade to a Glock or an M&P, and if you get one of the CZs at Cabelas you will eventually want to upgrade to a Shadow. I say buy once, cry once, and hold out for the G34, 35, or M&P Pro 9 or 40.

hold on to your cards

get a few matches under your belt and see what you might want to play with

+1. Juan is right. Take your time, keep shooting what

you've got, and decide later - too soon to buy a new gun

just yet - hold your cards, and make a better decision

later, after You know what You want.

Meanwhile, have fun.

Jack

hold on to your cards

get a few matches under your belt and see what you might want to play with

+1. Juan is right. Take your time, keep shooting what

you've got, and decide later - too soon to buy a new gun

just yet - hold your cards, and make a better decision

later, after You know what You want.

Meanwhile, have fun.

Jack

+2.. But you can never have enough guns, been thinking of getting a 3rd job just to support my reloading and shooting habit s.. Lol... :goof:

FNilo,

If you intend to stick with the Production class then you might consider a 9mm such as the S&W M&P9 or Glock17. If you are dedicated to the 45ACP then you might want to consider the Single Stack class and purchase a 1911 style pistol.

If you like 45 shoot the 45 division, get a SPringfield or STI single stack 1911. If you want to shoot production look at the winners circles at majors, the same coupel guns will show up over and over,

Id say a 5" polymer framed double stack 9mm with a fiber optic front sight. Either glock, M&P, or XD, all three work all three win, all three will hold there value if you decide to sell and change.