Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power Stuck to Side of Uniflow Reservoir

azrik

I've been working up some loads for a new 40SW I've got and before going to the big blue, I use my old rockchucker stuff and RCBS Uniflow powder thrower.

So I fill the Uniflow with Titegroup and after doing some different reloads, go to refill and notice the powder is sticking to the side of the reservoir.

I thought that (as in the past) static charge was causing this and upon further inspection find that the powder flakes are stuck tight to the plastic!

I dumped all the powder out and pulled the tank off the throwing section and tried to wash it out, not even close to removing it. It's as though it's welded to the plastic by chemical leeching, reaction???

Has anyone had this happen? I'm wondering if it's the batch of Titegroup or the newer powder and the older (circa 1975) plastic in the powderthrow.

IMG_1188.jpg

Friend of mine showed me that recently with titegroup and a Hornady powder thrower, I don't think his thrower is from the 70's either.

I have some titegroup that's been in my Dillon thrower for months and it isn't doing that.

Don't know if it's the plastic composition or if titegroup changed I guess...But you are not alone.

Edited by bofe954

It looks like static may had initially stuck the flakes to the hopper but they were on there tight. After scraping them off with my fingernail they left a frosted / sandblasted look to the plastic.

This reaction reminds me of when a rubber worm melts into a tacklebox tray.

Edited by azrik

Talked to RCBS via e-mail today.

They reminded me not to store powder in the hopper, quoted the instruction that said so.

"Powder should not be left in the measure, as it will deteriorate and may

clog and jam the measuring cylinder and etch the powder hopper"

...and told me a new hopper was enroute no charge. :)

This happens to me when I leave my powder measure in sunlight with powder in it. I shoot quite a bit of titegroup, and generally always leave powder in the hopper, and the only time its actually 'stuck' in the hopper is when I didn't cover my press for a few days and it sat in direct sunlight.

So either empty the hopper, or if you're lazy just be sure to cover up your press/hopper when you're done loading for the day.