Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Supersight front pins

After shooting the MS Classic this weekend, while cleaning my gun tonight and installing a new front sight I noticed that the sight appeared crooked, but it was the rear that was out of kilter. Upon inspection I thought that the pin holding the front of the rear sight had moved, but then realized that it is not one pin, but two. I can't removed the other pin to measure it. SURELY, I can find something to replace the pin, instead of buying another sight....

Anyone else have experience with this?

You can knock out the old pin and then drill it out with a 3/32nd drill bit. Then cut the end off of the drill bit and use that as the pin. You have to then cut some grooves into the pin and then use a punch to retain the pin in the sight. Just make sure that you use a cobalt steel drill bit as that is hard enough to keep from bending or breaking. This is the only replacement pin solution I have found for the super sight. Other than that all you can do is replace the whole sight. And yes, the EAA super sights are crap and will break frequently. I have fed at least 7 super sights to my Limited gun in the past 2.5 years........ :sick:

So, it is supposed to be a single pin, and my pin is broken in two pieces? The sight is not labeled "LPA" unlike the sight on my .40 Match. It has one spring applying upward pressure to the sight vs. 2 on the LPA marked sight, if that makes a difference.

You can knock out the old pin and then drill it out with a 3/32nd drill bit. Then cut the end off of the drill bit and use that as the pin. You have to then cut some grooves into the pin and then use a punch to retain the pin in the sight. Just make sure that you use a cobalt steel drill bit as that is hard enough to keep from bending or breaking. This is the only replacement pin solution I have found for the super sight. Other than that all you can do is replace the whole sight. And yes, the EAA super sights are crap and will break frequently. I have fed at least 7 super sights to my Limited gun in the past 2.5 years........ :sick:

The pin is suppose to be one single pin. So yours has broken in half. This is actually not an uncommon failure. Its happened at least 3 times to me before I started swapping them with the 3/32nd drill bit shafts.

There are two versions of the LPA Super Sight. One version has one big spring that is in front of the height adjustment screw and the other version has two smaller springs that are behind the height adjustment screw. Both of these are made by LPA and both still break.

My pin wouldn't budge, beat the living @#$K out of it....I bought a .22 conversion kit and will steal the SuperSight off it.

I just broke the pin yesterday. But I can see to knock the pin out, have bent a few punches, banging away at it. Any ideas?

I was finally able to get the pin out after a lot of drilling hammer and swearing. Unfortunately when I hit with my newly shortened punch, it went so deep that it split the hole about 1/4 way down. I think it will work for now until I can get another sight.

Anyone know if a standard Bomar style will fit?

Edited by Supermoto

Supermoto> If we could use Bomar rear sights on our guns we wouldnt be screwing around with these crappy LPA sights. The only way that you can use a Bomar rear sight is to have a gunsmith weld up the existing LPA dove tail then recut it to work with a Bomar. This is doable but its not going to be cheap.