Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who Tunes SV Mags

Putty

I had a great experience with Adrian at Mag Blueprinting, who is a vendor here. The turn around time was what was stated and they have run flawlessly. What more could you ask for?

Looking for an outfit I can send my SV limited mags tubes and spring kits for tuning/fit. I have the dawson tuning kit, but no worky for SV mags.

What gun are you using? NONE of my SV mags have needed tuning with polymer or steel grip SV pistols.

I am running an Edge. Had to change out the Bolen springs on the Bolen followers and ever since then....DOH!

Decided to go with Grams guts on the SV's and put the Bolen guts in two spare sti mags that were laying around. The sti mags will only hold 15 or 16, so I needs a master mag-dude to make it right.

Hello: You are going the wrong way. Use the Bolen stuff in the SVI mags and the Grams in the STI tubes. With the STI tubes use the Grams stuff with Dawson base pads and you will get 19 rounds with 140mm tubes in 40 S&W. Use the Bolen stuff with the SVI mags and Dawson base pads and get 20 rounds. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Aircooled is right about SV/ Bolen and STI/ Grams. The Bolen set-up is about the spring too and how it stacks in the mag to require less room below the follower. Most of my SV mags hold 20 and are reloadable. None have been tuned. On your STI tubes, are they hard to load?

Thanks Air. That did the trick. Bobby said I need to load the bolen/SV mags and let sit for three days. If that doesnt work, change out springs, rinse and repeat. Z40, yes the sti tubes are really hard to load and only getting 15 or 16 with dawson guts and grams basepad. Ordered some grams guts for the sti. The grams basepads barely go on the sti mags (metal prong tough to get in)

Hello: You need to load and unload the mags for the spring to set. Letting them sit when loaded for 3 days doesn't work that well. You can watch the tele and do it since there are so many comercials :roflol: The Grams base pads have to be fitted to the tube to make them removable and easily assembled. On the STI mags the tube has to be tuned if the rounds are getting tight at 15-16 rounds. It is usually the front to back dimension is not right or the loads are too long. I like 1.180" for 40 and 1.170" for 9mm. Thanks, Eric

I've had Adrian at Mag Blueprinting also tune my mags. My most reliable is a tuned SV tube with Bolen spring, follower and basepad.

Although Adrian mostly tunes with Bolen parts he has also tuned mags for me with Grams springs, followers and Dawson basepads.

Putty, check post #8 in molbile4's STI mag tuning thread. My son had bought some new tubes and we sent them back to Chris at STI. They were hard to load and Chris said it was the side to side measurement above the taper.