Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Persuade me not to buy a 1911 STI 9mm Hi-cap.

ydaho45

I was listening to one of the Matt Burkett podcasts with Taran Butler last week. Taran said he thought someone could make Limited minor work due to the capacity thing. I will go one further and say if you shoot more because of the cost savings you should be more accurate and faster which is what we are all looking for anyway isn't it? Rock on....

Howdy,

Oh, and I am well aware of the PF argument (get one in .40 instead).

FYI, I consider myself a seasoned USPSA shooter.

All replies are wanted.

Thank you.

Maybe it would help to be more specific as to what issues you are wanting input on. As a "seasoned" shooter many of the arguments (capacity, reliability, major/minor etc ) should be readily apparent.

I have 2 of them. It's cheaper to shoot and I'll worry about the major pf scoring when I make M or better. Until then, scoring a couple/few % less doesn't bother me.

I think this is precisely my sentiment. I have a sore shoulder from reloading too much the last few years, and I am using a progressive press too. .40 seems to make more competitive sense, but I want to have cheap fun, and no one is paying me to compete either.

The funnest match I have ever shot was with a Beretta m9 with 20 round mags in limited. I won a few stages and, were it not for a few malfuntions, I would have taken the day in limited. 9mm it is. Now, which model STI?

Thanks for the replies, keep them comming.

You can start with 24 in the pistol with good tuned mags (that fit the gauge) with the right guts. (There are some .40 mags that will hold 22 so you can start with 23 rounds in .40)

I've tried several different configurations (bull/bushing bbl, long/short dustcover, with varying degrees of lightened slides. My next will be a short/wide dustcover with a bull bbl. That will have the best compromise between soft shooting v. transitions/handling. YMMV and changing the guiderod from hollow to regular steel to tungsten will make a noticeable difference in feel.

The goal here is to have fun. To me the shooting is fun whether it is with my .40, 9mm or .22 conversion. For local matches I shoot limited minor all the time and have a blast. It costs about 40% less to reload 9mm vs .40 and you can over come the PF disadvantage in a smaller pond. I do however shoot major at big matches to even it up a bit. So I can't really tell you not to buy one, but I can say that I would get the Tactical 4.15.

I have 2 of them. It's cheaper to shoot and I'll worry about the major pf scoring when I make M or better. Until then, scoring a couple/few % less doesn't bother me.

I think this is precisely my sentiment. I have a sore shoulder from reloading too much the last few years, and I am using a progressive press too. .40 seems to make more competitive sense, but I want to have cheap fun, and no one is paying me to compete either.

The funnest match I have ever shot was with a Beretta m9 with 20 round mags in limited. I won a few stages and, were it not for a few malfuntions, I would have taken the day in limited. 9mm it is. Now, which model STI?

Thanks for the replies, keep them comming.

Won't you still need to reload even if you are shooting .9mm?

I've shot a 9mm competitively against a wide range of skilled shooters and I've gotten a couple of stage wins on a few occasions at local matches. I bet it can be done much better by a more skilled shooter than I. I'd be interested in seeing what Taran Butler can do with one.

With that being said, I'd be shooting .40 if my 9mm 2011 weren't for multigun. Also, a 9mm shooting minor power factor ammunition has a measurable advantage over a .40 pistol shooting major on a steel heavy USPSA stage.

Fayette Flash recently won the Florida Open shooting minor and he's on this forum.

If a minor hit anywhere on a target counts as much a major hit does, minor has a speed advantage.

This might push you over the edge if you're thinking of getting one. I've fired about 2000 rounds through it, only one malfunction so far and I'm happy with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW-cRjEFBrg

Edited by DyNo!

Interesting. Eagle 6, Tactical 4.15.

Yes I will probably still reload but if I don't feel like reloading then I won't break the bank. Also, I am away at school and don't have my press with me.

What do you guys think about doing a Caspian hi cap 9mm build? I think I am leaning STI but Caspian is a close second. The caspian is still in the back of my mind because I like the classic 1911 slide, and building a gun is always fun.

Knowing you have to shoot all A's can be a great training tool. You can be competitve with minor up to the Area level, IMHO..... if you have the right mindset.

I remember several years ago Burkett tried Limited Minor at the Nationals, and said something to the the effect he wouldn't due it again, the capacity advantage was not enough to offset the points..... to many partial targets, swingers, etc that did not allow for all A's?

Also, a 9mm shooting minor power factor ammunition has a measurable advantage over a .40 pistol shooting major on a steel heavy USPSA stage.
I shoot a lot of bootleg steel matches that use poppers and I have found the opposite to be true.

Also, a 9mm shooting minor power factor ammunition has a measurable advantage over a .40 pistol shooting major on a steel heavy USPSA stage.
I shoot a lot of bootleg steel matches that use poppers and I have found the opposite to be true.

How so? If the steel falls with an acceptable hit (calibrated properly), how can a lighter recoiling gun (that is identical to a heavier recoiling gun) shoot the stage faster?

Even if we accept that the index speed with respect to windage is exactly the same between the two, the muzzle rise is not - therefore, the lighter recoiling gun can get back on target or onto the next target faster.

Edited by DyNo!