Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CED M2 Questions

I just got the M2 chrono and the IR set. I have read the book and watched the video and have a couple of questions.

If I use it at an indoor range (there is fluorescent light) with the IR screens, do the screens have to be in a box? or will cardboard over the tops of them suffice?

Same question if I were to use the IR screens outdoors, do I need a box or is cardboard sufficient?

It seems that to avoid the vagaries of sun position and light conditions, using the IR outside would be more consistent, is this true?

Thank you, it seems a bit overwhelming for a beginner.

I am by no means an expert on mine but I used it yesterday outdoors with no covers and it worked fine. I have used it indoors as well with no cover and again it worked fine. I don't see how putting cardboard over the top indoors would hurt anything but I'm not sure it's required outside.

One thing that I did wrong yesterday was one of the sensors was not pushed all the way on to the bar. This will cause the readings to be off and now I have to make another trip out to re-chrono. I should be a little faster next time but I want to confirm.

Edited by ncboiler

I am by no means an expert on mine but I used it yesterday outdoors with no covers and it worked fine. I have used it indoors as well with no cover and again it worked fine. I don't see how putting cardboard over the top indoors would hurt anything but I'm not sure it's required outside.

One thing that I did wrong yesterday was one of the sensors was not pushed all the way on to the bar. This will cause the readings to be off and now I have to make another trip out to re-chrono. I should be a little faster next time but I want to confirm.

Thanks for the reply, I ask because what I gather from the book is that the fluorescent light apparently can mess up the infra red reading, but I am not certain. Also apparently the reason for putting it in a box outdoors. Hoping someone can clarify.

The main problem with fluorescent lighting is that the bulbs actually flicker at 60 Hertz (cycles per second), which is in-time with the frequency of AC power in the U.S. The skyscreens pick up that flicker and regard it to be a change in ambient lighting. LEDs also flicker like this, which is why the Infrared skyscreens use a DC adapter to power the bulbs. Constant power equals constant light. Incandescent lights don't flicker like this because the hot glowing element inside doesn't have time to cool appreciably between cycles of power.

Building a box would be the best solution. The cardboard trick would probably work, unless you started picking up reflected fluorescent light from the floor. Darker-colored cardboard would likely minimize this possibility, as it is less reflective.

Edited by Braxton1

The chrono sensors have a limited field of view that corresponds to the diffuser. I've taped cardboard to the top of my IR diffusers so I'm completely independent of ambient light, and it works well. A chrono coffin is overkill and inconvenient to transport and set up.

The chrono sensors have a limited field of view that corresponds to the diffuser. I've taped cardboard to the top of my IR diffusers so I'm completely independent of ambient light, and it works well. A chrono coffin is overkill and inconvenient to transport and set up.

Not if you build it as a collapsable unit.

Coffin is not required unless younwant to used IR outdoor....

Or leave on the fluorescent lights.