Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pendulum

ong45

Shot it for the first time today, with ong45. I think I was doing 3-3.5 with my Limited rig (Standard/Major) but I'm not sure because the times were so close to 5 to Go, which we also did.

L to R, 1-2-3-4-S. Couldn't figure out why I could nail 1.25 draws to the far plate on Outer Limits but did only 1.25-1.30 here.

Edited by Erik Warren

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Erik, other than expectations...on Outer Limits, yuo are only making one transition. Here, you have to transition quite a bit more. Perhaps your setup/index took a bit away from the draw to help out on the transitions? (not a bad thing at all, IMO)

I shot one of my best ever match runs on this a few weeks ago-- in the rain. My dot was a fuzzy mass of red blobs in the scope, but I pulled the trigger and held the gun steady when I thought it was on, and heard a 'dink' every time as I was going for the next plate.

Best 4/5: 12.10

I'm going to have to get somebody to hose me down with water at the Challenge. Maybe Bane can put a shower head on his camera boom. :)

• 3 weeks later...

E,

I hope this comes out right...I'm not looking to rain on your parade, or hold you back in any way with pre-concieved notions. I am curious about your expectations on this one?

I just looked at the results (then averaged them) of the top Limted shooters on this one in 2004(results):

3.60 - SAKAI

3.83 - LEATHAM

3.54 - SEEKLANDER

3.86 - JARRETT

3.32 - MICULEK

3.62 - SEVIGNY

5.02 - TOMASIE

4.05 - ONG

I am wondering why you are getting fits? It sure seems like you are up there, running with the best in the world.

Only Jerry averaged below 3.50 seconds.

I was shooting Open today with my P9. :) Hence the 3ish times, with a 2.91 and 2.83 that made me happy. Draws were consistently 1.36.

I just don't feel comfortable shooting Pendulum. I don't have the "I'm in charge here" feeling I have on other stages. Maybe it's lack of familarity.

Edited by Erik Warren

Yes it is, but recoil drives the gun up so you don't have to fight it to come down to the next target. In addition, I find it's easier to pick up a target that's above the one your are engaging rather than below. You're less likely to block a higher target with body position.

Anyway, that's what I've found, but I don't shoot an open gun.

Joel

Ha! I pegged you as an iron sight shooter based on that engagement. I, too, like to engage bottom-up. But you've still got a high to low in there unless you get crazy and try low-low-high-high (2-3-4-1 or 3-2-1-4). Hey, it's worth a try!

That's true, but the transition is longer so the angle from 1 to 3 isn't as steep as it is from 1 to 2. That gives you just a touch more time to get the gun down on target.

Anyway, that's how I'll shoot it tomorrow. Hope you can make it.

Joel

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
L to R, 1-2-3-4-S. Couldn't figure out why I could nail 1.25 draws to the far plate on Outer Limits but did only 1.25-1.30 here.

if you get a chance, have someone hold a 12" plate, at 18 yds, in front of the big plate on Outer Limits, and see how much of the big plate sticks out behind the 12" disc.

If I was gonna shoot that stage, and I was gonna try it L-R, which I think I surely would, a key "visualization point" for me would be for target 2, instead of mentally imagining my gun/sights coming to the center of that target, I'd imagine them coming to 6 o'clock on that plate, (from target 1). Maybe that trick might help them land in the center of the plate. I don't know... but it might be an interesting experiment.

Although, 2,1,3,4 might be the way to go. When you do have to go down (to target 3), you gotta a long way before you get there. But even there I still might experiment with the 6 o'clock thing.

be

I shot this fairly well last time out with my Limited gun. Nevermind the order. Nevermind the sight picture (always using the same focus for all plates). What's important is trigger control. Prepping the trigger was huge.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

For a lot of Steel Challenge shooters, including most of the top people, Pendulum is their slowest classification stage. Most shooters are slower only on Outer Limits because it requires movement, but that stage is used for ranking only.

You look at the Pendulum stage and say, wow, very simple arrangement of targets. That's the case, but the 10" plates at 18 yards and the vertical component to the transitions are devilish.

True. One reason I set that up as my first stage in the back yard. Right now my rimfire scores are in the mid to high 2's but my CFO best is a high 3. Most of that can be the draw since this is one stage where getting that first plate tends to slow you down slightly compared to some of the other stages. Have not actually timed my first shots in practice but I am betting they are around 1.5s in CFO.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

1, 2, 4, 5, s

just shoot straight across, make one reversal transition then the stop plate.  If you're more comfortable shooting l-r then shoot it: 5, 4, 2, 1, s.   Don't make it harder than it has to be ...