Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fire During A Stage

outerlimits

1992 Golden Gate Championship, my stage. After 2 1/2 days of 150 or so shooters, about a 1/2 pound of unburnt powder had built up in one of the barrels. Geoff Reisland was shooting when his comp cooked off the powder. Forum member Calishooter was the RO...i remember the look they both had.

I know cuz i was the RO....was sort of daunting at thetime becausethe only reference to 'fire' in the rule book is to commence fire...not start one!!!!!!!!!!! yeah and geoff R. didnt have ANY hair on his arms damned near up tothe elbow and as i recall his eyebrows got it too???

• 1 month later...

The unexpected burst of fire brought back a memory.....Camp Pendleton 1978 Infantry Training School in the San Onofre area.

We're firing our 106 Recoiless Rifles which sent out a HUGE backblast area behind the guns.

Someone looks behind us and yipes the whole hillside is on fire and moving towards the ammo storage area.

We're instantly transformed from Marines to firemen and we're throwing E-Tools full of dirt everywhere.

I always tell people that I graduated from the Infantry Training and Small Unit Brush Firefighting School.

Every time we had live or even blank rounds we'd set the hills on fire and have to either fight the fire or evac and wait until it stopped burning.

Fun stuff.

...Camp Pendleton 1978 Infantry Training School in the San Onofre area.

We're firing our 106 Recoiless Rifles which sent out a HUGE backblast area behind the guns.

Someone looks behind us and yipes the whole hillside is on fire and moving towards the ammo storage area.

We're instantly transformed from Marines to firemen and we're throwing E-Tools full of dirt everywhere.

I always tell people that I graduated from the Infantry Training and Small Unit Brush Firefighting School.

Every time we had live or even blank rounds we'd set the hills on fire and have to either fight the fire or evac and wait until it stopped burning.

Fun stuff.

JKSniper--that wasn't the first time that happened---in 1975 I was the Platoon Cmdr. of the 106 RR platoon for 2nd Btn, 5th Marines. Seems like there were lots of fires---during the Santa Anna winds, you could lite up the hill side with the WP spotter rounds!! As much as I loved those things--it was the beginning of my tinnitus--36 years later the ringing is as loud as ever! From your moniker I take it that you went on to Sniper/Recon platoon somewhere????? Who were you with??

Edited by Early IPSC'er

...Camp Pendleton 1978 Infantry Training School in the San Onofre area.

Fun stuff.

JKSniper--that wasn't the first time that happened---in 1975 I was the Platoon Cmdr. of the 106 RR platoon for 2nd Btn, 5th Marines. Seems like there were lots of fires---during the Santa Anna winds, you could lite up the hill side with the WP spotter rounds!! As much as I loved those things--it was the beginning of my tinnitus--36 years later the ringing is as loud as ever! From your moniker I take it that you went on to Sniper/Recon platoon somewhere????? Who were you with??

+10-happened when i was there in 1972. lit fires to burn the rattlesnakes outta the canyons...was always close to being a "controlled burn". :roflol:

Edited by outerlimits

Semper Fi brothers!

I was in 3rd herd (Recon) at Onna Point. Charlie Company, Second Platoon...2nd Lt PJ Cahill's bunch.

I understand that now third is located up in Camp Schwab near the NTA.

I LOVED Pendleton. Weather was OUTSTANDING. Every day I was there it was the exact same. Sunshine like theres no tomorrow and temps in the 80-90 degree range...not a cloud in the sky.

Great for living outside but hell on training with ANY kind of fire. The 0311's set hillsides on fire with the BFA's on their '16's. Fire burned for 3 days....all training stopped while they tried to put it out.

Firing the 106's at night was wild. The backblast would shatter a big ammo crate placed behind it and when we shot the HEPT (High Explosive Plastic Tracer) rounds it would appear downrange like a glowing ball changing shape as it streaked towards the target.

Fun stuff.

OOHRAH fellow Teufel Hunden!

JK

Outerlimits...tinnitus.....WHAT?lol

I had the staff sgt that was our instructor come up to me while the gunner was preparing to fire the 106. He asked me a question.

I had my fingers in my ears (no ear plugs available) and took them out to ask him what he wanted when the gunner let-r-rip.

I damm near peed my pants it was so freaking loud and I didn't hear a damm thing for days afterward without it sounding like it was all fuzzy like through a broken speaker.

I have worn double ear pro whenever I shot since but my ears ring all the time.

Good times though.

Semper Fi Devil Dog!

JK

...+10-happened when i was there in 1972. lit fires to burn the rattlesnakes outta the canyons...was always close to being a "controlled burn". :roflol:

What unit were you with outerlimits???? When did you leave Pendleton??? Did you ever shoot with Bill Hahn and the Oceanside Combat Pistol League?????

Thank goodness there's no need for tracers in our sport. Night fire qualification always drove me nuts. We'd rarely make it through a COF without a ceasefire due to tumbleweeds 300 to 400 meters out catching fire. We'd load up the humvee, haul A out there and fight the brush fire 3 or 4 times every time we did night qualification.

Edited by fastmtnbiker33w

• 5 weeks later...

I know cuz i was the RO....was sort of daunting at thetime becausethe only reference to 'fire' in the rule book is to commence fire...not start one!!!!!!!!!!! yeah and geoff R. didnt have ANY hair on his arms damned near up tothe elbow and as i recall his eyebrows got it too???

Calishootr,

Brought back memories! I was there shooting the match with Geoff and the guys. Madness!

I spoke with Geoff recently, he's coming back !!