Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun - rifle sights or ghost rings faster?

chainring

No doubt this has been covered, but I couldn't find it. In addition to that most basic of FNG mistakes, this may be in the wrong area - but I couldn't find one that seemed more appropriate! So bear with me....

I'm interested in the Benelli Tactical, since Salient seems to be gobbling up all the 21 inch M2 Field models and I can't spend $2000 or wait 6 months! It appears that, with a plus 3 extension flush with the 18.5 inch barrel, the Tac will have an 8+1 capacity - plenty for me.

So, the question becomes: which model?

Specifically for me, the version with receiver and barrel mounted LPA Ghost ring sights, or the version with low profile, barrel-mounted "rifle sights?"

Like this:

BenelliM2RifleSights.jpg

BenelliM2LPA.jpg

It seems to me that the "rifle sights" would be faster in a 3-gun setting. Obviously the big dogs seem to be doing fine with a vent rib and a bit of fiber optic. What is the general consensus about speed of ghost rings versus rifle sights?

Thanks for your patience, time, and advice.

Edited by chainring

For me rifle sights are faster on a shotgun.

Of course I am not " fast " compared to many of the other forum members, so take my opinion as .O2 from some guy, and not anything more.

Travis F.

Thanks, guys. Makes sense.

An extra question - might need to be it's own search/thread...

Does the "tactical" version of the M2 have different gas porting that is optimized for heavier loads of buck and slug, making it less reliable for regular "walmart" birdshot practice ammo?

Edited by chainring

I could probably do a search here for one of my threads.

I saw the Army Marksmanship Training Unit vide on shotgun reloading. Those guys are or were using something like a metal straw or tube attached to the ribs of their shotguns....which I am ASSuming were Benelli's .

go do a search on YouTube for "shotgun reloading" or "shotgun speed loading" and that video might pop up.

it originally aired on the ShootingUSA show on one of the outdoor channels.

A'yup, I have asked the FNG questions too. I had some bigger Dawgs in the three gun world reply back with "just go with your bead".

so my two 1100's are still without ghost rings. and I have two of the ghost ring sights by LPA still sitting in my spare parts bin.

Thanks, guys. Makes sense.

An extra question - might need to be it's own search/thread...

Does the "tactical" version of the M2 have different gas porting that is optimized for heavier loads of buck and slug, making it less reliable for regular "walmart" birdshot practice ammo?

No gas ports in the M2, it's inertia driven. Mine shoots "reduced recoil" buck and slugs just fine.

It appears that, with a plus 3 extension flush with the 18.5 inch barrel, the Tac will have an 8+1 capacity - plenty for me.

I have the rifle sighted 18.5" gun and I really like the rifle sights. The ghost ring sights sit too high and the gun doesn't mount correctly for me. What you will find though is that the magazine tube that makes it 8+1 will stick out past the end of the barrel about an 2.5 inches or so. It doesn't look good but it doesn't affect the function either. You will probably want to play around with your chokes also. I use the modified and usually don't have a problem with any steel.

It appears that, with a plus 3 extension flush with the 18.5 inch barrel, the Tac will have an 8+1 capacity - plenty for me.

I have the rifle sighted 18.5" gun and I really like the rifle sights. The ghost ring sights sit too high and the gun doesn't mount correctly for me. What you will find though is that the magazine tube that makes it 8+1 will stick out past the end of the barrel about an 2.5 inches or so. It doesn't look good but it doesn't affect the function either. You will probably want to play around with your chokes also. I use the modified and usually don't have a problem with any steel.

I confess, my capacity estimation was based on a gunbroker auction that showed a Tactical model with a flush mag tube and referred to it as a "8-shot tube," so thanks for the correction. So does that mean that a flush tube would be 7 plus one, or 6 plus one like any other 18 inch shotgun? I wondered about that when I read his description.

About the tube extensions, I like mine to stick out a little, if your on deck or standing there for a couple of minutes (say there was an equipment malfunction downrange) it allows you to prop up on the gun on the extension without worrying about putting your muzzle in the ground.

Disclaimer....I'm not a weakling, or too lazy to hold my shotgun, it just has given me the chance to completely relax, and breathe a few cleansing breaths before a stage. Besides, it's very Open Division-esque :roflol:

About the tube extensions, I like mine to stick out a little, if your on deck or standing there for a couple of minutes (say there was an equipment malfunction downrange) it allows you to prop up on the gun on the extension without worrying about putting your muzzle in the ground.

Disclaimer....I'm not a weakling, or too lazy to hold my shotgun, it just has given me the chance to completely relax, and breathe a few cleansing breaths before a stage. Besides, it's very Open Division-esque :roflol:

:roflol: :roflol:

I shoot ghost rings with the long tube/short barrel setup described above. I'm sure I'd go faster with a vent rib and I have plans to get one (WTB: M1S90 Vent Rib Barrel!) but I don't have one and I probably won't until after most of the major matches of 2011 have passed.

Ghost rings aren't slow though. The way I'm aiming is pulling both sights into alignment on the buzzer and using the rear sight as a gigantic bead (Is orange inside the circle? If so - BANG! - transition -repeat):

Edited by DyNo!

Chainring,

The flush fitting tube is 7+1, but don't be tempted. It looks better but for 3gun I have seen several stages that have only 9 rounds of shotgun. You will be at a disadvantage on these stages.

I preferred ghost rings on a Benelli over the Rifle Sights because to use the rifle sights I had to cram my face onto the stock so hard it was painful to shoot (felt it in my cheek bone). Remington style rifle sights sit high enough I didn't have that problem with them.

Currently using williams fire sights bolted onto a vent rib, and I think they are accurate enough, and faster than ghost rings.

I have a 18 1/2 M1 Tachtical. I extendeded the barrell with a Breiley extensions and added a Nordic +6 tube. On the sites I removeed the stock post and replaced it with a green fiber optic one. Brownells had them. Themn on the back ghost ring I painted the side dots glow green and then dremeled off the top of the ring. Basicly i have a big groved rifle site. i find this set up fast and easy to get on target. I like the added open site picture. If I need pin point slug shooting I just make sure to line up the rear side dots with the fiber optic and off we go...

I'm partial to rifle sighted barrels, but run the Ashley Express sights -- as they are faster for me than traditional post and notch rifle sights...

I have to agree with Nik. I also run the AE sights iwth the front barrel band. On close shots or clays if you pull your target into both sets of "wings" its yours and is very quick. Of course I do shoot an 870, and on most stages I give up nothing to the auto shooters. (870 is the only shotgun I have run for 31yrs :goof: ).

I can't comment to this directly since I've never run GR sights on any shottys but I remember Marty Hayes who ran the Firearms Academy of Seattle telling some cops that ghost rings were too slow. I actually find that using vent rib with a FO sight is plenty fast for me.

I think ghost rings would be faster, if it were just ghost rings. Big ring in the back, post in the front.

But instead you have a ring in the back and wings in the back and wings in the front to obscure your view... the wings in the front to confuse your eyes/brain as to which is the site and which is a wing, making them notably slower.