Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock pistolsmiths

Mifune326

Unless you want it to be a hot rod open gun or limited gun with slide lightening and such I would look into DIY gunsmithing. There are plenty of tutorials and YouTube instructionals showing most everything on how to do glock basics.

Although the names listed above are top notch either way.

I personally went the gun smith route first with my competition guns since I didn't know diddly about firearms much less gun smithing. Now that I have experience with the guns and know how and why the modifications are needed or not need I work on my guns myself. Then I take them to my gun smith and he fixes what I mess up. There's nothing more painful than watching Johnny The YouTube Gun Smith shoot his first match with his new home built race Glock only to see him tap, rack, click all day and have him asking everybody in the squad what springs they are using for this and what OAL length the are doing for something else. Save yourself some heartache if your just getting started get a professional to get your gun running right. Then ask him questions and learn how to do it yourself. Spend your free time practicing and shooting matches.

Edited by jtischauser

What sort of smithing do you need done on your Glock?

I recently purchased a Glock 21 after shooting 1911s for years. As most know, we fans of the 1911 have our favorite pistolsmiths when mods need to be done.

I'm looking for some opinions as to who some of the respected Glocksmiths are so when the grip modification or aftermarket barrel installation bug bites, I'll be ready!

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Best wished for a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone here on BE's forums!

Chris

Edited by Mifune326

Well then here are some pics of Accurate Iron's work.

Here is a recent thread of some other guys that just ahd Mike touch up their competition glocks.

Accurate Iron Thread

He builds 1911/2011's as well so he can fit an aftermarket barrel if you so choose.

His email address and phone number should be on his website. If not, PM me and I will tell him to call you at the next local match.

Glock 17 Open Gun with Extended Beavertail, Undercut Trigger Guard, Coffin Cut Lightened Slide, Scalloped Stippling, C-More STS, Lone Wolf Barrel, Jager Compensator, Dawson Ice Magwell, Dawson Front Fiber Optic Sight, Dawson Rear Adjustable Sight, JP Enterprises Extended Mag Release, ISMI Guide Rod, ISMI 13lb. Recoil Spring, and Mike's 3-3.5 lb. Competition Trigger Job.

SANY0004.jpg

Glock 34 Limited Gun for 3 Gun with Extended Beavertail, Undercut Trigger Guard, Scalloped Stippling, Dawson Ice Magwell, Dawson Front Fiber Optic Sight, Dawson Rear Adjustable Sight, JP Enterprises Extended Mag Release, ISMI Guide Rod, ISMI 13lb. Recoil Spring, and Mike's 3-3.5 lb. Competition Trigger Job.

SANY0002.jpg

SANY0003.jpg

Glock 35 Limited Gun with Extended Beavertail, Undercut Trigger Guard, Scalloped Stippling, Dawson Ice Magwell, Dawson Front Fiber Optic Sight, Dawson Rear Adjustable Sight, JP Enterprises Extended Mag Release, ISMI Guide Rod, ISMI 15lb. Recoil Spring, and Mike's 3-3.5 lb. Competition Trigger Job.

SANY0023.jpg

Glock 34 Production Gun with Scalloped Stippling, Internal Magwell, Dawson Front Fiber Optic Sight, Dawson Rear Adjustable Sight, ISMI Guide Rod, ISMI 13lb. Recoil Spring,and Mike's 3-3.5 lb. Competition Trigger Job.

SANY0017.jpg

SANY0028.jpg

Edited by jtischauser

Chris,

The Glock is really fun to work on yourself if you so choose. I purchased the AGI DVD, and now feel comfortable doing anything to my Glock except machine work. As also mentioned there are also several upgrade kits out there. The smiths do very good work, I am not knocking them either, I am just saying there is a lot of gratification for me to work on my own equipment too.

Enjoy,

I think if you are even remotely mechanically inclined, then anything that can be done to a Glock can be done yourself. That is one of the appeals is that they are cheap to buy and cheap to work on. However, I understand the fear factor of cutting frames and slides.

To your specific mods, I'd go with a smith for the grip mods and barrel fit the first time. AI and SJC have produced very good repeatable results and I'd go there. I am not a fan of grip mods for a variety of reasons, so I am only relaying what I have seen on the Glocks I have worked on and seen myself. I've "repaired" many Glocks that have been butchered by "gunsmiths" that should be banned from dremels and soldering irons. As for barrels, Briley and Bar-Sto are the two best IMHO. Sean @ Power Factor fits Briley's and Bar-Sto will fit their barrels. My first "fit" Glock barrel was a Bar-Sto. Then I tried myslef with a Wilson, which is pretty easy for the DIY'er. I've since hand fit both Briley's (last month was my first) and Bar-Stos (about 30) myself with excellent results. Briley's are the most difficult for a DIY'er, but worth the extra effort. A fine flat and round file, calipers and some patience are all you need.

What sort of smithing do you need done on your Glock?

I recently purchased a Glock 21 after shooting 1911s for years. As most know, we fans of the 1911 have our favorite pistolsmiths when mods need to be done.

I'm looking for some opinions as to who some of the respected Glocksmiths are so when the grip modification or aftermarket barrel installation bug bites, I'll be ready!

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Best wished for a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone here on BE's forums!

Chris

SJC

You are very welcome! I didn't realize how great the undercut trigger guard was until I tried it. I was actuallly getting a calus on my driving finger without out it. That and the beavertail should cone stick from the factory. I almost dread shooting production now because my finger hurts and the web if my hand gays slide bite so bad.

Good luck to you.

Edited by jtischauser

• 2 weeks later...

I personally went the gun smith route first with my competition guns since I didn't know diddly about firearms much less gun smithing. Now that I have experience with the guns and know how and why the modifications are needed or not need I work on my guns myself. Then I take them to my gun smith and he fixes what I mess up. There's nothing more painful than watching Johnny The YouTube Gun Smith shoot his first match with his new home built race Glock only to see him tap, rack, click all day and have him asking everybody in the squad what springs they are using for this and what OAL length the are doing for something else. Save yourself some heartache if your just getting started get a professional to get your gun running right. Then ask him questions and learn how to do it yourself. Spend your free time practicing and shooting matches.

YOU JACK NUGGET! My name is not Johnny! :surprise::roflol:

You have to admit Jesse, my 34 actually came along after some trial and error, and I did all the work.

On the other hand, I am in the process of sending Mike a G17 frame and a LW G35 slide/barrel and going to let him go crazy!

Now quit telling that story about the outlaw match at Heartlands.......or at least use my real name!

BSG

YOU JACK NUGGET! My name is not Johnny! :surprise::roflol:

You have to admit Jesse, my 34 actually came along after some trial and error, and I did all the work.

On the other hand, I am in the process of sending Mike a G17 frame and a LW G35 slide/barrel and going to let him go crazy!

Now quit telling that story about the outlaw match at Heartlands.......or at least use my real name!

BSG

Sorry there is nothing worse than watching Brad_G the youtube gunsmith with his new race Glock AND new reloads doing the tap, rack, oh $hit, and rack again at his 2nd match. LOL!!!

Actually your gun did run great it was that ammo that got you.

Edited by jtischauser

Who are some of the respected Glock pistolsmiths out there?

Any opinions?

For grip reductions or texturing, take a look at cold bore customs. He's a police officer in Texas that does the cleanest looking grip work I've seen. If it didn't take me out of SSP for IDPA he would have my 34 for a grip reduction/texture.

Well then here are some pics of Accurate Iron's work.

Here is a recent thread of some other guys that just ahd Mike touch up their competition glocks.

Accurate Iron Thread

He builds 1911/2011's as well so he can fit an aftermarket barrel if you so choose.

His email address and phone number should be on his website. If not, PM me and I will tell him to call you at the next local match.

Glock 17 Open Gun with Extended Beavertail, Undercut Trigger Guard, Coffin Cut Lightened Slide, Scalloped Stippling, C-More STS, Lone Wolf Barrel, Jager Compensator, Dawson Ice Magwell, Dawson Front Fiber Optic Sight, Dawson Rear Adjustable Sight, JP Enterprises Extended Mag Release, ISMI Guide Rod, ISMI 13lb. Recoil Spring, and Mike's 3-3.5 lb. Competition Trigger Job.

SANY0004.jpg

Glock 34 Limited Gun for 3 Gun with Extended Beavertail, Undercut Trigger Guard, Scalloped Stippling, Dawson Ice Magwell, Dawson Front Fiber Optic Sight, Dawson Rear Adjustable Sight, JP Enterprises Extended Mag Release, ISMI Guide Rod, ISMI 13lb. Recoil Spring, and Mike's 3-3.5 lb. Competition Trigger Job.

SANY0002.jpg

SANY0003.jpg

Glock 35 Limited Gun with Extended Beavertail, Undercut Trigger Guard, Scalloped Stippling, Dawson Ice Magwell, Dawson Front Fiber Optic Sight, Dawson Rear Adjustable Sight, JP Enterprises Extended Mag Release, ISMI Guide Rod, ISMI 15lb. Recoil Spring, and Mike's 3-3.5 lb. Competition Trigger Job.

SANY0023.jpg

Glock 34 Production Gun with Scalloped Stippling, Internal Magwell, Dawson Front Fiber Optic Sight, Dawson Rear Adjustable Sight, ISMI Guide Rod, ISMI 13lb. Recoil Spring,and Mike's 3-3.5 lb. Competition Trigger Job.

SANY0017.jpg

SANY0028.jpg

Hey i love the grip job on these do you know about how much a Scalloped Stippling costs for a G35 just a guestimate?

Hey i love the grip job on these do you know about how much a Scalloped Stippling costs for a G35 just a guestimate?

Website says $80 for a Full Grip Stippling and Finger Groove Removal If Wanted.

I'd seriously consider the undercut trigger guard too. It's worth the extra $30 for sure. I just bought a new to me stock G17 at lunch today. I gripped it and was trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with it. Then it hit me I couldn't get that real high grip I like and it just felt weird. Guess where the G17 is headed soon?

Website says $80 for a Full Grip Stippling and Finger Groove Removal If Wanted.

I'd seriously consider the undercut trigger guard too. It's worth the extra $30 for sure. I just bought a new to me stock G17 at lunch today. I gripped it and was trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with it. Then it hit me I couldn't get that real high grip I like and it just felt weird. Guess where the G17 is headed soon?

Awesome thank you!! I will probablly be sending this one off soon also that sounds like a great price for both.