furthest pistol shot you've attempted and made

cletus9mm

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a video with a freshly sighted in .22 at 50 yards.

Recently I've been shooting small steel plates at 100, I may make a video one day and post it, too.

From what I read in this post, it looks like 150 yard + is where the fun starts. Need to to try that.

2 months ago I took a friend to the range and I was using my 686. He was trying to hit a full can of red bull at about 75 yards to see if he could hit it. He missed 12 times. On my very first shot I lined up the front post a little high and I hit it. I know it was a lucky shot and I would have trouble doing it again off hand for the 1st shot but I played it off like I knew I would hit it the whole time.

Off hand, we piss off rifle shooters who tinker all day with their scopes trying to hit a 400 yard 16x24 plate that all I can see is the glare at 2pm on a sunny day. Friend and I lobbed 230gr MIL-SPEC .45 ball ammo at it. There's a good 3-4 second delay on the ping. Rifle shooter asks how both of us did it. My buddy said like this! And he hit that plate 5 of 8 shots. I missed 3x but hit it 5 in a row after.

the rifle guys so pissed they left! Now. Put me on the clock with 14 yard SCSA plates and my draw is over 1.20 and I may miss the first big plate!

I shot a 20oz. Coke bottle off the post that hols the 100yd target board with a Para 9mm LDA. On the first try. Pure accident but cool nonetheless. Got a wittness. Wish I had a video...

^ Pure luck, but it did happen.

My farthest shot was a melon sized rock at about 150yds with a .41 magnum Blackhawk, iron sights. Hit it on the third shot.

And it was witnessed

Off hand, we piss off rifle shooters who tinker all day with their scopes trying to hit a 400 yard 16x24 plate that all I can see is the glare at 2pm on a sunny day. Friend and I lobbed 230gr MIL-SPEC .45 ball ammo at it. There's a good 3-4 second delay on the ping. Rifle shooter asks how both of us did it. My buddy said like this! And he hit that plate 5 of 8 shots. I missed 3x but hit it 5 in a row after.

the rifle guys so pissed they left! Now. Put me on the clock with 14 yard SCSA plates and my draw is over 1.20 and I may miss the first big plate!

that is excellent!

that is excellent!

That is friggin hilarious!!! THe problem is at 100 or less off hand I might actually shoot better groups with a pistol :surprise:

I know a guy that hit a bird at 200M with an old wilson 1911. I was there, he took my $$ :o

Not the longest, but the bestest for me......

I hit 3 orange clays at 55 yards with 7 shots using my 5" Tripp STI standing freestyle. That schuemann barrel is the nuts.

Edited by Seth

8" steel gong at 200 yards with Kimber Ultra Carry II. Elevation was.... eh....borderline anti-aircraft........ Missed the first 7, hit it 2 out of the 2'nd mag, hit it 5 out of the 3'rd. 'couse this was off a bench. :ph34r:

Ken

Edited by m134b

• 3 weeks later...

I shot 100 yard La Rue at Taran's range with him and Michael Rooker. Took me awhile to figure it out then it was a pretty regular occurrence, 4 of 5, 7 of 10. Taran did 9 for 9 once he had it zoned in. 1911 in .40 S&W with a Kart barrel built by Tripp.

I have not tried anything farther out but now my curiosity is cooking. If the weather is nice on Friday I may try.

I've hit a gallon milk jug out around 300+ yards with a 4" .44 mag, but it took me a cylinder or so to get the elevation and of course even then the hits were only about 20%, but I scared it a lot. :D

Better was when I was working as an RO and some guys I knew were shooting at bowling pins at 200 yards with scoped rifles (and not doing so great). I was teasing them about missing such and easy target, they said "Oh yeah, YOU try." I pulled out my SIG P220 and sat down at the bench. I took two to get the elevation (which was tough because we had overhead baffles) and the next three rounds wacked the pin. I holstered and walked away. B)

My best "one of" was probably on a 'yote, quartering way running flat out at "200 yards" (laser ranged at 198 yards afterward). Of course that pistol had a scope and a bottle necked wildcat round.

Edited by cas

• 2 weeks later...

I shot a 3 gun in October that had a stage with 100 and 200 yard steel for pistol. At 200 yards, there was a 16x16 steel, and the final shot was a 4" spinner. I was really surprised at how easy it was to hit. The 4" spinner took two tries, but all the others I got in the first shot.

Edited by Benl

I remember hearing about Dave Sevigny a few years ago doing a 1 shot draw to an IPSC target at 200 yards in 1.3 seconds.

Seems doable. might take me a mag or 2 or 10, but sooner or later I could get it done, haha

I keep dope on my Derringer out to 500. I have to point it up at about a 45 degree angle but you just never know when you're gonna have to go to you 4th backup gun. Plus these MD's in 3 gun are throwing all kinds of weird scenarios and prop guns at us nowadays.

I used to live next door to a hunt club. They had a wobble trap thrower mounted under a tower that was used for warmup for the hunters. You could stop the movement both up and down and throw the bird in one position. I would use my Kimber 45 and try hitting the clay birds in the air. It took me quite a few shots to hit the first one but after figuring out where to aim I could do it more often. More often meaning maybe 1 in 25. I thought that wasn't that bad. Bshooter.

I remember hearing about Dave Sevigny a few years ago doing a 1 shot draw to an IPSC target at 200 yards in 1.3 seconds.

That's pretty awesome.I wonder where the hold over was? Top of head at that distance? That would be a fun thing to try!

Edited by lugnut