Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

furthest pistol shot you've attempted and made

cletus9mm

im spoiled and have a friend that has an excellent farm to practice at. on a fairly regular basis we shoot at targets that are realistically at rifle distances. ealier this year we reached out with pistols a great deal further than we had previously. we set a popper up at 352 yards (measured with a bushnell rangefinder). i believe the popper was 10". the dirt was dry and loose so you could see bullet impact and adjust accordingly. there were four of us there and i was the only person who said that my friend would hit the popper in less than 3 magazines. he was shooting a wilson 1911 with 8rnd mags. long story short he hit the popper in less than the prescribed 3 magazines. he did this twice. the second time he did it within the next two mags. i matched him or came close to matching him with my 38 super open gun. last weekend we were shooting rifle at 525 yards and the same friend was attempting to hit a porcealin sink with the same wilson. he didn't fire many mags at that distance because even with spotting him conditions were difficult to see impact. he got within 10' of the sink with the few mags he fired at it. whats the most obnoxious thing you've ever accomplished at "x" distance with a pistol. please tell me range and caliber and how long it took you to do. i think this type of pistol shooting is ridiculous but also an incredible amount of fun.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nothin' to brag about, but after the 1992 steel challenge down at 5 dogs, we were playing with a 200 yard plate with steel loads. shooting weak hand unsupported. took me 8-9 rounds but i hit it. video proof is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQPlcHEsg_s

Edited by outerlimits

I've hit 40 out of 40 in Big Bore Metallic Silhouette 2 times over several years shooting a 629 double action, 300 grain XTP bullets. I have a video of 39 out of 40, but it's borrring. I was trying to get under 1 minute total shooting time. My best time was 1 minute, 24 seconds to knock down 40 targets.

Edited by Toolguy

I used to shoot the 200 M rams regularly with my 1911 at my old range when I was growing up.

My current range has lots of steel out to 600m and I shoot my handguns at the steel out to 150-200. My scoped handguns put me out to 400m

One day I was shooting a buddy's .223 T/C Contender pistol (12" hunter barrel) with a pistol scope and I was able to hit the 500m steel regularly as the wind was decent that day. The target was a 15" chunk of welding tank stuck on a post.

Down here in SE AZ there are very few days when the wind isn't a big factor.

Neal in AZ

Now that you mention it. My further handgun shots that I recall were on the silhouette range. Standing, off hand, lobbing 44 Magnum rounds at the 200M rams. This was with a single action Ruger Super Blackhawk smile.gif. You could pretty much shoot, sit the gun down, eat a snickers and wait for the ding. Fun.

After a match one day several of us threw a dollar in the pot and took 50 yard unsupported head shots at an IDPA sized steel target with the hinged head that knocks over. 3 or 4 of us made the first round, 2 of us made the second round, we both missed the 3rd round, then I made it in the 4th round. So, 3 out of 4 head shots at 50 yards with an M&P40.

I used to have a CZ75 that I ended up giving to my x-wife. Anyway, there is a steel plate on the main range at Rio that is either 24" or 18" at the 300yrd line. I could usually put 10-12 out of 15 on it. By far the most accurate handgun I've owned.

115 yd 15"-18" round steel plate. 4 of 6 lobbing.38 148gr swc with a 6" 686 single action, off-hand.

Kneeling with my forearms rested on the concrete bench I can hit 6 of 6. I would like to try some 200yd or 300yd just to see how close I can get.

18" steel plate that sits about halfway up the impact berm at our rifle range...pretty much every pistol I own/owned as that would be the final "test" when I was sighting in loads. About 205 yds as the 200 yd line is right at the base of the berm.

100 yards, 3/4" wide steel post, Glock 17, 19 and 26.

The public range where I shoot used old blades of some sort as post for the target strings. I remember getting a lot of crap from my friends when I decided to try to hit one at the 25 yard line. I did eventually hit it and for a while, I would plink at the posts which ever line I was on, 25, 50, 100. I got to where I could hit the 100 yard post within a couple of magazines, standing shooting freestyle. Not sure on elevation but the windage had to be just right.

One occasion, a buddy had just gotten a Springfield 1911 GI model I think and was pushing the shots off one direction or the other. He asked me to shoot it and see if I thought he should drift the sights. I took it and fired one shot and hit the 3/4" post at 50 yards. Handed it back and said the sights looked fine to me. :D

some sweet shots posted here! i just can't help but smile shooting pistol at steel a long distance away. putting the pistol at low ready and waiting that second or two before you hear the "ding". it's magical. i'll try and make some video this weekend to put up here. i suppose it would make a pretty fun first video post for the forums.

I used to shoot the 200 M rams regularly with my 1911 at my old range when I was growing up.

My current range has lots of steel out to 600m and I shoot my handguns at the steel out to 150-200. My scoped handguns put me out to 400m

One day I was shooting a buddy's .223 T/C Contender pistol (12" hunter barrel) with a pistol scope and I was able to hit the 500m steel regularly as the wind was decent that day. The target was a 15" chunk of welding tank stuck on a post.

Down here in SE AZ there are very few days when the wind isn't a big factor.

Neal in AZ

Did that a couple times in Silhouette matches with a 38 super Wilson accucomp W/170's. hard to knock them over unless you hit the top 2 inches.

But it was fun.

A beer can at 100 yards with a Colt Officers Model in 45acp. Got it on the 3rd attempt. I do not have a video, but I did have a witness. ;)

that is an excellent shot. my buddy is a fanatic about his 1911 45's. i'll try and get him to attempt this hopefully saturday. i'll be sure to empty the beer into my belly first so that no hopps or barley are injured during the making of said video.

It took 8 shots but with my 38 special minor loads 300yds at a bowling pin. It was at the Globe Miami Gun Club. Just one guy saw it but he did not belive it. Pin fell forward as the bullets were lobbed in from a bench. I would rather be lucky than good. Now anybody for some good swamp land in Ok. :sight: later rdd