Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Range brass and resizing

aussie bluey

Hi All,

Have my 650 and all the bells n whistles but am about to start reloading with a heap of once fired brass that is mainly Remington and Winchester that has been fired in a few different brands of pistols inc glocks. I need the reloaded ammo to work in a few guns inc a Glock and a STI in 9mm.Do I need to use a aftermarket resizing die or is the Dillon ok to do it?

Thanks in advance

+1 on the egw undersizing die. Oh, don't forget to remove the primer removal pin from the undersizing die seeing that the primer is seated just before the undersizing happens. I think its 24.00 from their site. I run the standard dilling die in the first stage and the undersize die in the second station. Now every case passes the case check.

Edited by cyburg

Another vote for the EGW die. Before I was having to drop check every round with about 2 - 5 out of every 100 needing to be tossed or re-reloaded. Now after the EGW die, I've checked over 500 rounds and never had one fail the drop test so I stop checking them (except for major matches). I have it for my 9, 40, and 45 setup, - it's worth the money!

GRx die looks good too but I've never tried it.

Good luck!

I lube all cases rifle and pistol, it’s just less effort. None of my firearms have undersized chambers so I have never used undersized dies. I do use casepros to iron out the part of the case that doesn’t get sized as well as the “rim”.

Yup, have used the Lee/EGW dies for many years on all pistol calibers I reload. I used to get my Lee dies ground down so I could go futher down on the case....I would guess I'm getting 7+ pops on my brass. (mostly Win white box @ 150 pf for steel & sub-gun.),(Win rifle primers & Auto Comp. MTG bullets )

Pass on the EGW. Get a regular Lee sizing die.

Just my $.02

Reason?

Pro2AlnPA - With a 9 major open gun I recommend a CasePro. The U-die helps a bit but it is no cure and you will get some fat brass and if you pickup my 9 major brass it will all be fat and your primers will fall out. Note that the CasePro does not totally resize primer pockets but does tighten them slightly.

Be aware that some brass is steel, looks like brass, smells like brass but it sticks to a magnet, so check your steel cases.

The Casepro is $800. The Lee/EGW-U die is less than $20 including shipping. I've been using one for years, and I've had so few problems, I've actually stopped case-gauging my ammo.

Especially if you use the Lee/EGW die in the first station, and a Lee FCD die in the last station, and a bullet makes it through all that you're good to go.

Just my $.02

Reason?

Pro2AlnPA - With a 9 major open gun I recommend a CasePro. The U-die helps a bit but it is no cure and you will get some fat brass and if you pickup my 9 major brass it will all be fat and your primers will fall out. Note that the CasePro does not totally resize primer pockets but does tighten them slightly.

Be aware that some brass is steel, looks like brass, smells like brass but it sticks to a magnet, so check your steel cases.

I won't be picking my 9mm major brass up off the ground. That's the whole reason I got a 9mm open gun instead of a .38 super. :devil:

+1 on the egw undersizing die. Oh, don't forget to remove the primer removal pin from the undersizing die seeing that the primer is seated just before the undersizing happens. I think its 24.00 from their site. I run the standard dilling die in the first stage and the undersize die in the second station. Now every case passes the case check.

Huh? :blink:

The Casepro is $800. The Lee/EGW-U die is less than $20 including shipping. I've been using one for years, and I've had so few problems, I've actually stopped case-gauging my ammo.

Especially if you use the Lee/EGW die in the first station, and a Lee FCD die in the last station, and a bullet makes it through all that you're good to go.

Yeah, I'm with you Chris. I bought my EGW dies a few years ago and since then, I have finally stopped case gauging and I've not had one problem since. One good thing around here is that there are very, very few 9 major guys so I don't have to worry about the primer pockets, just the bulge. The Casepro is nice but the EGW is the best for the money for what I need it for. And all my rounds work fine now, not like before with the standard Dillon resizer.

I am currently using a Redding Titanium series 9mm sizing die. It is certainly not a case pro, but I do know that running "Glocked" 9mm brass through that die makes it drop into the case gauge all the way case mouth first, and take care of the "bulge" and you can drop it backwards for a ways as well.

DougC

Just my $.02

Reason?

Two reasons. First is a general endorsement of the Lee dies. I have always used them, and never had any of the types of problems that users of Dillon sizing dies have. Bulged brass is never an issue, and my rounds always gauge. Second, I did try an EGW U-die (in .40, to be fair) in an attempt to get better neck tension, and I found it far more trouble than it was worth. I could not run the press normally, as the case mouth would hit the die about 80% of the time, so I had to guide each one in by hand which cut my loading speed by more than half. On top of that it took more effort to get the case into the die, and more effort to get it off the expander.

My advice is, try the regular Lee sizer (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=578115). Then if and only if you have a problem the U-die might solve, try the the U-die.

I too see no value to the undersized die, unless your chamber is very tight. I am using standard Redding dies, and I also stopped gauge checking my ammo long ago. To me it is the solution in search of a problem.