Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JPL Precision 6" Dual Slide Custom Limited Gun!

cheers623

So, after a lot of shooting and reading, and shooting more, and reading more...I finally decided to have a 6" 2011 Platform custom gun made for Limited Division. After a terrible experience with a "Big Name" gunsmith who could do no wrong, I was really reluctant to spend a lot of money and get screwed again. After meeting a number of people locally who had guns built by John Larson of JPL Precicion I decided I would give him a chance. The bonus was he is local and shoots with many of us at the monthly area matches. On top of that, he has an eye for detail that is in line with mine. After a number of phone conversations and in-person meetings at his house we arrived at a game plan for building a 2011 with both a 5" and a 6" slide so that I could try both types and compare them. I have been shooting a 5" STI Tactical for a few years now and it just feels like home to me. The balance and handling of the gun are what I learned on. So I had him use the tactical frame as the basis for the gun.

Well, I got it last week and put about 250 rounds each through both top-ends. The gun ran like a top with both slides and the accuracy was spot on. The trigger job is top-notch and helped me hold some of the tightest groups I've ever shot. The difference in the sight radius is immediately noticeable from an accuracy standpoint and there is a little different feel to the longer slide during recoil but I'm having him lighten it up just a little more and will see how this feels. So far I'm really liking the 6" slide. The 5" slide feels great and is just like the STI tactical I'm used to shooting so the comparison will be great when I get the 6" dialed in.

The best part is the transaction with John. He has been very patient and helpful without imposing his own views on the project. He always has an opinion to offer if I ask but in the end, he wanted to build the gun the way I wanted it and NOT the way he wanted. I've shot enough in competition and practice to know what I like and what works for me and he facilitated my wishes for building the gun. Below are a few pics of the gun. Note, the gun is still being finished up and has not had the safeties blended or top slot cut yet when the pictures were taken. Once it is broken in I'll either have it hardchromed or Ion-bonded. Haven't decided yet but am leaning toward Black Ion Bond with polished flats and matted top.

Here they are and hats off to John at JPL Precision! Thanks a million.

cheers623

DVC

post-10128-018679200 1286225349_thumb.jp

post-10128-031960700 1286225502_thumb.jp

The best part is the transaction with John. He has been very patient and helpful without imposing his own views on the project. He always has an opinion to offer if I ask but in the end, he wanted to build the gun the way I wanted it and NOT the way he wanted.

Here they are and hats off to John at JPL Precision! Thanks a million.

cheers623

DVC

you are speaking of JOHN LARSON correct??? ;)

nice set-up there cheers. see you when you break it out next time.

John builds great stuff. I think he was one of the first guys to figure out how to build a 9mm Open gun that actually works 100% of the time. John is my "go to" guy when I need work done. He made a non-working Tactical Solutions 2211 conversion work on my gun when TS didn't want to even try.