Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popple holes, how much do they help?

user293

Are all those holes just holes, or are they tapered one way or the other?  (I thought that's what made it a "hybra port")

Edited by cas
Edited because autocorrect hates gun forums.

On 1/31/2017 at 5:52 PM, Acsr said:

I just had 3 5/32 holes put in my trubor 38 super,  just shoot it today,  only 30 rounds to sight in dot,  I also have added the evo grip, so not much trigger time,  but will shoot a match sat, so hoping to get a real feel.  But that is two major changes to my gun from the last time I shot it, which was mid November,  so can't really get much feel in 30 rounds, but I don't have any regrets. Would post a pic but I guess it exceeds allowed file size,  and am lost as to how to change it

Looks good...  I was curious to see if you had to flat top the slide or if you could just machine the slot for the popplejoles...  Did you send your slide to Gans, or did someone else do it?

Also interested to see if you can feel the difference...  and how much velocity you lose at the chrono...

Thanks,  have a local guy here that I have had do some work in his back yard shop, re profiled my acr barrel,  cut my racker Dove tail,  and now this.  We did not flat top the slide clamped it in the jig/vice and went to cutting.  Then installed barrel marking where I wanted the holes and drilled those.  Deburred, reblued the cut then I went and shot 30 rounds to clean the barrel up and sight in.  If all goes well should shoot in a match this sat.  Will have a buddies stock trubor to compare the two, although mine had popples and a recently added pt evo grip so not really apples to apples,  but it will give both of us a idea, then he will decide if he wants some holes added.  As far as chronograph goes I have some loads that were loaded pure popples, that I need to use up, then I will chronograph and know what and how much was lost, I anticipate 20 to 40 fps

There is a huge difference between the hybrid holes and the popple holes. The hybrid holes are tapered and work like a velocity stack. The popple holes are usually just straight holes drilled in the barrel. Shuemann designed the hybrid ports to make the gas exit more smooth which increased the thrust downward more so than just a hole drilled into the barrel.

On 03/02/2017 at 0:40 AM, redfisher said:

To add to the conversation here what is anyone's experience with 45 degree holes like Akai uses? LSI just started doing builds with 2 of those per side and I'm trying to choose between that and a hybrid set up.

I have a tanfoglio Eric custom which has 12 holes in a v pattern (6 down each side). 

It seems to work really well. The v shape also gives cool looking flames. Lol. 

I think it does help keep the gun tracking straight up and down. Some guns with popples seem to not move straight up and down (but that could be a function of uneven grip pressure too). 

I think 4 holes in a v with a decent comp would be a nice setup. 

Hello, I agree with Waco-Kid above comments.  It appears there is too much over thinking with barrel ports and their effect.  They DO make a difference, how much is very subjective, but my opinion is they are worth having in most open guns, especially the shorter built models.  I agree with Brazos and have never seen evidence of " elongation " or any detriment to accuracy whatsoever.  I don't see how you have any control of where the lands / groves are located where the drilling occurs, you are going to puncture the rifling, period.  Use a two flute end mill ( not a drill ) starting with a smaller size then the final size of choice and there should be no problem.  Check with a Q- tip swab down the bore, if it doesn't grab your burr free, then go shoot.

From what i have seen the barrel holes (popples or hybrid ports) are only a part of a combination that will make an open gun move the least during recoil. The location and size of these make a difference along with the comp they are used with. The powder comes into play with the amount of gas and pressures generated to operate the system as a whole, and don't forget the springs are also part of the equation.  I have a drawer full of barrels and comps and have put together many configurations tinkering with to see the differences. 

10 hours ago, ShortBus said:

Id love to hear more about what you've found 

The stuff I've done is hardly scientific but i did try to take as much of the human part out of the way when I've tinkered with this stuff. I made a few things to be able to test how stuff worked because I found early on that you can't really feel or see the differences. I have been messing with this stuff since I had my first open pistol in 1991 and to be quite honest the advancement in that amount of time from this industry as a whole hasn't been much. I have purchased a few of the "new" comps and want to play with them to see how they work.  My goal has been to try and find the combination that shot with the least dot movement and softest. There is no one part that does that, it is all of the components working together that do this, there isn't any one single magical part that is the end all modification. I will tell you one of the things I found that made a substantial difference wasn't barrel holes...lol. 

Edited by 357SIG

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2017 at 9:39 AM, Acsr said:

Thanks,  have a local guy here that I have had do some work in his back yard shop, re profiled my acr barrel,  cut my racker Dove tail,  and now this.  We did not flat top the slide clamped it in the jig/vice and went to cutting.  Then installed barrel marking where I wanted the holes and drilled those.  Deburred, reblued the cut then I went and shot 30 rounds to clean the barrel up and sight in.  If all goes well should shoot in a match this sat.  Will have a buddies stock trubor to compare the two, although mine had popples and a recently added pt evo grip so not really apples to apples,  but it will give both of us a idea, then he will decide if he wants some holes added.  As far as chronograph goes I have some loads that were loaded pure popples, that I need to use up, then I will chronograph and know what and how much was lost, I anticipate 20 to 40 fps

Curious to know how your Trubor shot with the new popple holes...

Also,  what does re profiling your barrel mean?

13 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Curious to know how your Trubor shot with the new popple holes...

Also,  what does re profiling your barrel mean?

I shot part of a match with the holes, bit enough to get a real feel, but will go do some live fire practice tomorrow, and match this weekend, should be able to know by then plus shoot it side by side with a stock trubor. 

The re profile if the barrel was on my acr took from a heavy bull down to a mediumish profile to cut some up front weight. 

Shoot about a100 rounds tonight, and side by side with a trubor without the evo grip and popple holes, definitely a noticeable difference in felt recoil and flatness,in a nut shell not a single regret with this setup