Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with better shooters...

astephenson

SOME of the M and GM's I noticed are a bunch of prima donnas.

Last level 2 match I was at had your local M's and GM's and also one world class shooter.

Seems like the prima donna thing pretty much vanishes when there is a shooter present who is winning almost every stage by a respectable margin.

That said, most of the M and GM folks I have met are very helpful and fun to shoot with.

Edited by IHAVEGAS

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tagged people over the years as such and have been surprised the next time i shot with them. You cant judge a book by its cover for sure, and sometimes come across someone who just had a bad stage or day and are processing it. If an individual is consistently a prick over time, I just avoid contact. You would be surprised how much knowledge people will offer up, just don't look for it while the are in their pre stage routine or after a disaster.

After a good run seems to be the best time to chit chat.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tagged people over the years as such and have been surprised the next time i shot with them. You cant judge a book by its cover for sure, and sometimes come across someone who just had a bad stage or day and are processing it. If an individual is consistently a prick over time, I just avoid contact. You would be surprised how much knowledge people will offer up, just don't look for it while the are in their pre stage routine or after a disaster.

After a good run seems to be the best time to chit chat.

That's why I said SOME.

The one M was a real jerk the first time I shot with him. (When this happened, I am a B class shooter asking a M class shooter like 3 or 4 questions.)

He just went off on me, Why do you have popple holes, why is your gun 2 tone, why do you shoot coated bullets my gun will never see them. Just totally busted my balls. AND in front of people. I said one, if I pay good money I want my gun to look good. #Two it had popple holes when I bought it. #three, I'm trying the coated bullets and I like them. I have no issues with them.

The next time I shot with him and beat him on like 4 stages, he was giving me some little tips and we actually did some stage planning together.

BUT some are like that all the time. So I just don't talk to them.

I generally shoot with the same group of guys all the time. There are pros and cons, we have a lot of fun and give each other grief but we also will be honest in our feedback about how a stage run looked and where we may each get better. Sometimes it doesn't need to be a better shooter to give a tip that will help you get better. If I have the chance to squad with someone who beats me regularly I try to watch what they do and learn from it. I don't usually ask a lot of questions during a stage I may ask between stages if I see them do something I don't understand, I find this lets them have time after they shoot to get their self together after they shoot and not feel pressured. I try to remember that the shooters who are really good still feel pressure because they are expected to perform at a high level, even if its self imposed expectation and sometimes when they are not meeting these expectations they may come across a little harsh.

I shot the DPMS TriGun years ago. Each squad had a PRO on it. One year we had a "PRO" we never heard of. He was not having a good day and let the squad know it. We just ignored him for the match. Next year we had a PRO I had not heard of. Taran Butler. Guy was extremely helpful even to the point of walking over and offering advice. When I told him thanks and relayed the story about the the other pro from the previous year he shook his head and said " We are here to encourage newer shooters and promote the sport. Not everyone understands that. Great guy.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I ALWAYS prefer to shoot with better shooters. It helps me with my game and pushes me too shoot better. When I am in a shooting squad, I learn from those better than me, and although I may not be up to the skill levels that they are at, I continue to push to achieve that goal.

Edited by abb1

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

When I first started shooting competitively everyone was waaaay better than I was. After about 6 months I started shooting regularly with some very experienced shooters and I immediately began to improve at a faster rate. Not only would these guys give me tips but I would watch the way they approached things. One of the first things I noticed was their pre-buzzer routine - it was the same every single string. As a reformed golfer that made a lot of sense to me because you do the same thing before every stroke.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

^^^This! I am pretty poor at stage design and like to see what the more experienced shooters will do and tweak my plan accordingly. 

In every hobby I’m involved in I always will try to perform up to the next level. The key is to not shoot “out of your shoes” and try to go too fast or be like the top shooters. It’s a fine line. 

• 4 weeks later...

Shot with three GMs this past weekend at the Nationals. Great group of guys who didn’t hesitate to answer a question when asked. Pointers here and there and really helped me get out of my own way. The biggest thing is they have tried, failed, tried again and succeeded. They know what it takes to be successful. Listen and learn from them.

4 hours ago, Boudreaux78 said:

Shot with three GMs this past weekend at the Nationals. Great group of guys who didn’t hesitate to answer a question when asked. Pointers here and there and really helped me get out of my own way. The biggest thing is they have tried, failed, tried again and succeeded. They know what it takes to be successful. Listen and learn from them.

Good advice. I wouldn’t try to shoot like they do, just learn and shoot your game. Then the advice they give will be what you really need and not how to clean up the mess you made of the stage trying to shoot like them.