Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with better shooters...

astephenson

The skill level of shooters in my IDPA club (actually several clubs, but many of the same shooters) has been improving quite a bit lately. It seems like over half of the folks I shoot with have Expert or higher classifications in at least one division- many in multiple divisions. Those that aren't will probably be soon, whether by classifier or match bump.

To say the least it keeps me on my toes and motivates me to practice more...and everyone else is pretty motivated, too. It's alot of fun seeing everyone improve and trying to keep up with them to stay competitive.

The cool part- we're all great friends and everyone is extremely encouraging. I hope everyone is able to find a group to shoot with that's as great a bunch of folks as the ones I'm able to shoot with.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And on the other side of that - if you're the best shooter in a bunch, it is challenging to set the bar without having someone else to be the guinea pig. :sight:

I also always try to shoot with people who shoot better than me.

Edited by DyNo!

at a sectional championship yrs ago, my shootin partner and I were 'tossed in' with a super squad full of GM's and M's, we were only B class shooters at the time, but looked at it this way, if we could hang with the big boys and run within a few seconds of their times and have decent hits...hey goodthings might happen??? as it turned out we were correct in our assumption, we both finished 1 an 2 in b class

I heard it yrs ago that if you hang with a certain skill level crowd you will rise no higher than the crowd, which is fine ifthat is your thing, butf orthose who want to excell to the maximum oftheir abilities??? need to look beyond the comfort zone/squad

During the time I did happen to engage in competition, the "better-than-me" shooters not only taught me indirectly through example, they were generous with their tips and chat about how they accomplished what they did on whichever target array--or about some technique they used. It was amazing the constant stream of coaching I received. Indeed, it gradually improved my shooting skills because I LISTENED to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard it yrs ago that if you hang with a certain skill level crowd you will rise no higher than the crowd, which is fine ifthat is your thing, butf orthose who want to excell to the maximum oftheir abilities??? need to look beyond the comfort zone/squad

Recently I heard a similar concept explained as, "You are the average of the five people you hang around with most."

Interesting to ponder that, for both shooting and non-shooting aspects of life.

• 5 months later...

I love to shoot with better shooters. I always learn something. Best squad to date put me with Flexmoney, Keen, Micah, Budewitz, and Metts at the Michigan Section. If I recall correctly, most won their division overall. I, on the other hand, just tried to keep up. Fun stuff and great learning. Mentally, it took me a couple stages to get over the wow factor. Wish that was my regular squad weekly!!!

Recently I heard a similar concept explained as, "You are the average of the five people you hang around with most."

Interesting to ponder that, for both shooting and non-shooting aspects of life.

This is troubling :surprise:

• 1 month later...

I agree. I shoot sporting clays with my uncle-in-law he has so much good advice my scores skyrocket! As I shoot without him I often start to slip. He's almost like a drug addiction, when I have a bad day, I'll call him to come shooting, and invariably his advice and perception of the field and my action, helps me get back in the game. I just wish I could shoot more, so his advice would stick. I seem to lose the advice with large stretches in time. Oh well, more excuse to hang with the family!

• 3 weeks later...

Those who have bounced around a bit will notice that most clubs tend toward one or two divisions. Some places, the majority shoot Open. Other places Limited and Production seem to be the favorite. I recently moved to an area with one of these clubs. While I prefer to shoot Open, I'm half considering going back to Lim, just so I have a few better shooters to compete with.

• 3 weeks later...

That works both ways. When I started shooting I shot with a group of masters and went through the ranks to where I'm at now. Now when I go to matches I don't want to be beat by lower class shooters so it keeps me pushing.

I would love to practice with better shooters than me. I like to shoot with the open guys at a match, it pushes me shoot faster.

The wanting to shoot faster part is the dangerous area you don't really want to visit. The better shooters can and sometimes (depending on who "they" are :unsure: ) will give the other shooters little tips during a given course of fire that could help them streamline their plan.

Shooting faster is not necessarily a good thing.

Being more efficient IS a good thing, and THAT is what a much better shooter can do for you.

I hope everyone is able to find a group to shoot with that's as great a bunch of folks as the ones I'm able to shoot with.

Indeed. It's nice to have good folks to shoot with who encourage, instruct and push you to be better. That's what I like about the matches and clubs around the area.