Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For 9mm MAJOR Topics

benos

Here is a picture of the pitting after only 5000 rounds:

88458701-5AEE-46E1-842D-75187A31B71D_zps

I’m contemplating refinishing this slide (gun) with NP3+ or Hard Chrome to either slow down or stop the pitting, does anyone have enough knowledge and information on either finish to recommend one versus the other?

I believe that Hard Chrome is harder but more brittle and may continue to chip away if not adhered properly to the pitted face; the guys at ROBAR have said that by polishing the surface prior to an NP3+ finish they will guarantee the surface for life from continuing to erode? Not sure if that’s a sales pitch or reality…LOL.

You are not going to cure breach erosion with a finish, you need to change your load and probably the primer you are using. If you are shooting major get some MagTech small Rifle primer the hardest one I have found, if you are shooting minor then Winchester is a good middle of the road small pistol primer, Federal's too soft. When it gets a little worse the gun won't go bang! Then you will need to drill out the fireing pin hole to allow it to strike the primer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so new to all of this reloading haven't even gotten totally set up yet waiting on my Dillon to get here. Any help would be great got some advice from another place on this site trying to make 9 major using acme red coated 124 i got some cci small pistol primers and I'm trying some hs-6 some tight group and some autocomp any advice where to start thanks to all

Ok so new to all of this reloading haven't even gotten totally set up yet waiting on my Dillon to get here. Any help would be great got some advice from another place on this site trying to make 9 major using acme red coated 124 i got some cci small pistol primers and I'm trying some hs-6 some tight group and some autocomp any advice where to start thanks to all

HS6 and WAC yes. TG NO! And does acme rate their bullets for open velocities? Worth checking on.

9MAJOR is not a good, "I have a press coming and want to load this", load. Some experience helps before taking on 9MAJOR.

What gun are you loading for? I would probably recommend jacketed bullets and WAC for your initial runs. 6.8-7 grains of WAC under jacketed 124's at about 1.165 IN A 2011 should work for starters if you insist.

I'm shooting M&P 5 inch with kkm barrel and carver comp shooting open class the acme coated are rated for minor several friends of mine are using them with great results that's how I came across them and thanks for info was not sure if tg would work or not but that's fine just use it for my 40 any more info would be great everyone on here has been great so

Typo the acme 's are rated for major I've been shooting open for a couple months now should have my class this month still new to it but it grabbed me like a hungry gator and I'm all in just doing uspsa now but who knows in the future thanks again

Hs-6 and WAC are great I love hs-6. Depending on ur gun you may be over 8g. Start at book data and do a load latter work up to what makes pf in your gun. Titegroup is great for minor ONLY!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I'm shooting M&P 5 inch with kkm barrel and carver comp shooting open class the acme coated are rated for minor several friends of mine are using them with great results that's how I came across them and thanks for info was not sure if tg would work or not but that's fine just use it for my 40 any more info would be great everyone on here has been great so

in your case oal will be restricted by mags. Don't use recipes I mentioned in shorter rounds without adjusting down for the shorter length

I've heard of people using them when SPPs or SRPs were hard to come by. Just drop your current load a reasonable amount and work your way back up slowly and use a chrono.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 major/38SC. I used some CCI SPM's there is a slight difference over the crono not enough to change the load. My go to primer is CCI SPP, just like Sarge. I've used a lot of SRP's and the Magtech SRP is the hardest one out there, man up on the hammer spring.

Edited by CocoBolo

A thousand thanks to all on here just left a range session I used two different powders autocomp & hs-6 still playing a little but made major with hs-6

HS-6 124 grain coated round nose 10 rounds averaged 1370.25 fps 7.2 grain 169.9 PF

Autocomp same bullet 5.4 grain 10 shots average 1210.7 with 150.1 PF oal was 1.135 on all rounds put 50 rounds through and no hick ups at all again thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

A thousand thanks to all on here just left a range session I used two different powders autocomp & hs-6 still playing a little but made major with hs-6

HS-6 124 grain coated round nose 10 rounds averaged 1370.25 fps 7.2 grain 169.9 PF

Autocomp same bullet 5.4 grain 10 shots average 1210.7 with 150.1 PF oal was 1.135 on all rounds put 50 rounds through and no hick ups at all again thanks guys

For my guns its been about 1.0 grains less AC to get same PF vs. hs-6

Use AC for 124's and HS6 for 115's

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I've been using 7.6 grn Silhouette, 124grn Montana Gold, Winchester SPP Magnum and it makes 163PF.  I do find that the gun cycles better and shoots flatter on 7.9 gn Silhouette load - 174PF.  This is through an STI 2011 Trubor gun.

I do want to test using VV3N37 since i heard they are clean.  Any one of you guys have some load data to share?  Still using 124grn bullets.  Looking for:

VV3N37 powder load, Primer, OAL, and PF reading.

Thanks in advance guys!  This is a very informative and useful forum!