Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For 9mm MAJOR Topics

benos

I use MG 115's and buy them in cases of 8.  I don't think  <$.01 per bullet is worth using anything but MG, at least not for me.  Most of us are shooting $5-7k open guns and worrying about $.01 is crazy.  Some might get great results with other bullets, not knocking them.  I have tried others and after 25 yrds it looks like a shotgun pattern. 

Edited by echotango

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

Ok let’s talk about  9 mm brass of all kinds, Rp,win,Speer,blazer,CBC,Aquila..

? Has any test been done to prove one is better than another, besides me or you, not like this or that brand ?

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2018 at 10:34 AM, echotango said:

I use MG 115's and buy them in cases of 8.  I don't think  <$.01 per bullet is worth using anything but MG, at least not for me.  Most of us are shooting $5-7k open guns and worrying about $.01 is crazy.  Some might get great results with other bullets, not knocking them.  I have tried others and after 25 yrds it looks like a shotgun pattern. 

That was my position until I tried SNS 115’s. Every bit as accurate out of my 2 open guns

• 3 months later...

9 Major reloads

I shoot on the Montana Gold Team & I have used Montana Gold 124 gr RN with HS-6 for my 9 Major and noticed a less snappy load over the 115s.

8.0 gr HS-6, 1.165" oal, CCI primer, any 9MM brass is 1375 fps in a 5-1/2" .355 bbl with a 4 port comp & groups great!

• 5 months later...

How much does OAL influence power factor?  Reason I ask is that I'm right on the hairy edge with a load at 168 with a few dropping below to 163 (out of 20).  I was wondering if I could maybe bump the OAL down to 1.160 from 1.165 as opposed to upping the powder.  It doesn't really matter either way, I'm just curious. 

35 minutes ago, clw42 said:

How much does OAL influence power factor?  Reason I ask is that I'm right on the hairy edge with a load at 168 with a few dropping below to 163 (out of 20).  I was wondering if I could maybe bump the OAL down to 1.160 from 1.165 as opposed to upping the powder.  It doesn't really matter either way, I'm just curious. 

What is the load? My guns seem to feed better the longer I load. So I stay above 1.165. For me upping the charge would be preferable to shortening the oal.

12 minutes ago, Sarge said:

What is the load? My guns seem to feed better the longer I load. So I stay above 1.165. For me upping the charge would be preferable to shortening the oal.

10.4 grains of Shooter's World MP, under an RMR 124 grain JHP.  Loaded to 1.165", and out of a 5.4" KKM barrel with 2 holes and a binary short comp.  Mixed brass so the OAL varies a bit between 1.163 and 1.170

I haven't had any issues with loads from 1.14 to 1.18 so OAL doesn't really matter...neither does the charge.  I am wondering if there's an impact because of the temp though.  SW runs slower in the cold if I'm not mistaken.  At 10.7 grains of powder under a 115 RMR JHP on an 85 degree day, I was getting a low of 170 and a high of 174.  That same load today was in the 160's.

• 1 year later...

Tossing in some more data:

Air temperature: 37* F

Akai middy Open gun, 5 inch barrel, v6 popple holes

9.7gr of AA7, OAL of 1.1650, Precision Delta 124gr JHP, federal small pistol primers, approx 1420FPS

8.5gr of 3n38, OAL of 1.1650", Precision Delta 124gr JHP, federal small pistol primers, approx 1350FPS

8.1gr of HS-6, OAL of 1.1650", Precision Delta 124gr JHP, CCI small rifle primers, approx 1420FPS

Edited by sc68cal

• 9 months later...

Lots of great info in here, been studying a lot! My question is... I run Staccato XL's, I know they are not the fanciest or best 2011 but I really like them. I would like to start shooting 9 major. Do any of you guys have any experience with that platform and 9 major? I currently shoot 124gr and 5.2 of CFE Pistol. Was thinking of staying with the 124's and going to HS-6 or Autocomp??

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2021 at 12:06 AM, Skeeter44 said:

Lots of great info in here, been studying a lot! My question is... I run Staccato XL's, I know they are not the fanciest or best 2011 but I really like them. I would like to start shooting 9 major. Do any of you guys have any experience with that platform and 9 major? I currently shoot 124gr and 5.2 of CFE Pistol. Was thinking of staying with the 124's and going to HS-6 or Autocomp??

Just for s#!ts and giggles???  9 major does its best in a comped gun in the competition world.  No good for limited so you would have to shoot in open.

• 3 months later...

probably been asked before but does running major loads hurt the gun?   I have some hotter loads I load from time to time that seems like they are pushing it, can't imagine going to some of ranges.  also, what is the point of going there in the first place?     

8 hours ago, XL6504ME said:

probably been asked before but does running major loads hurt the gun?   I have some hotter loads I load from time to time that seems like they are pushing it, can't imagine going to some of ranges.  also, what is the point of going there in the first place?     

Only useful in competition to make MAJOR PF in Open division. The guns that use it are built specifically for it.

• 5 months later...

I've been experimenting with 9X23 brass shortened to 9mm Parabellum. It's far more durable and definitely withstands the 9X19 major powerfactor requirement and produces far less case bulging and splitting issues.

I also tried modified rare 9X25 brass that I bought cheap at a garage sale, and that stuff is also extremely tough, even when over-charged.

• 1 year later...