Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 Loading Issue

DKThree

Hello All,

Long time forum stalker, first time posting... there's so much info on this site I've never needed to ask a question!

I just recieved my first semi auto shotgun. Mossberg 930 Turkey, 24" vent rib with fiber optic rifle sights. I feels great and was priced right. I'm using this for multi purpose; clays, birds, and 3 gun. When I got it, I broke it down and cleaned it, gave it a light lube. We took it out trap shooting and put 100 3 1/4 dram 1 1/8 oz loads through it and about 25 Winchester Universal. The thing was it was an open bolt range, I just loaded through the chamber and never fed through the magazine. The gun shot everything perfectly and felt really nice. So I get home, clean it, then relized I never loaded through the tube so I start messing with that....

So my problem is it won't load by cycling the bolt with any number of shells in the tube. It also will not load from the tube when there is a round in the chamber and the bolt is cycled. This is my first semiauto so I'm wondering if I put the mag tube in to tight or loose or doing something that may be obvious to you. I called Mossberg and they said send it in, they couldn't tell what was going on by what I was describing, but who really wants to send in a gun they just got. I'm also planning on waiting until I can install the Nordic extension to see if it's a spring/mag tube issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Hello All,

Long time forum stalker, first time posting... there's so much info on this site I've never needed to ask a question!

I just recieved my first semi auto shotgun. Mossberg 930 Turkey, 24" vent rib with fiber optic rifle sights. I feels great and was priced right. I'm using this for multi purpose; clays, birds, and 3 gun. When I got it, I broke it down and cleaned it, gave it a light lube. We took it out trap shooting and put 100 3 1/4 dram 1 1/8 oz loads through it and about 25 Winchester Universal. The thing was it was an open bolt range, I just loaded through the chamber and never fed through the magazine. The gun shot everything perfectly and felt really nice. So I get home, clean it, then relized I never loaded through the tube so I start messing with that....

So my problem is it won't load by cycling the bolt with any number of shells in the tube. It also will not load from the tube when there is a round in the chamber and the bolt is cycled. This is my first semiauto so I'm wondering if I put the mag tube in to tight or loose or doing something that may be obvious to you. I called Mossberg and they said send it in, they couldn't tell what was going on by what I was describing, but who really wants to send in a gun they just got. I'm also planning on waiting until I can install the Nordic extension to see if it's a spring/mag tube issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Does the shell attempt to feed at all from the tube or when you cycle the action just it just sit there? If it just sits there...does the bolt lock into the open position?

I am not exactly sure on the issue. I have a 930 .... HAD the same problems. I dont know exactly what fixed it, cause I did a crap ton of work on mine all at the same time.

I added a Choate extention to my 930 and I trimmed the spring down to about 10 inches past the tube and if fed shells with no problem but I couldnt feed the first round from the tube, so preloading at a match was a no go. Choate ships with an extended extra power spring, I have mine cut to about 3 inches longer than the extention installed and it is working fine. But I also did pull the shell stop and release out of the gun and take a piece of 600 grit wet dry sandpaper to it and kinda smoothed up the edges and then took a round file right thru the middle to give it a forked end, so the overall width wasnt affected but the total surface area catching the shell was reduced. I cant say which one was more beneficial because I did them both at the same time. But I believe that the cleaning up of the shell stop and the shortening of the spring was the most help.

Does the shell attempt to feed at all from the tube or when you cycle the action just it just sit there? If it just sits there...does the bolt lock into the open position?

The shell did not leave the mag tube when it was cycled and it did lock open. I will double check this tomorrow when I get home but I remeber it locking back without the shell loading.

Try putting a shell in the mag, pull the trigger & see if it drops on the carrier. Benelli work the same way.

So the trigger would release a shell stop and let the next round into the lifter, correct? I will try that too. Thanks.

So I got to mess with it again yesterday. Took it apart again and re-assembled. Still having the same problem...

When the mag is loaded with any number of rounds, the gun will not load by cycling the action, the bolt does not lock back, and the round does not move. When the hammer is dropped on an empty chamber, the shell does not load onto the lifter.

I got it to load maybe 2 out of 20 tries so I'm going to go ahead and send it back to Mossberg. I don't really want to cut the spring or mess with the shell stop, although I realize it's probably one of those two items, I think it should be taken care of by the factory (actually, come from the factory in working order) in case of future issues

Thanks for the tips.

BTW how's Mossbergs customer service and turn around time?

• 2 weeks later...

I figured it out!!! It was the mag tube. The ends had a bit of metal left from the machining that was hanging up the shell. I didn't notice it until I tired to install the Nordic follower, it was slightly larger diameter, and it wouldn't transition into the factory tube without hanging up. I sanded and polished out the ends of the tube and it works perfect.