Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

unbuntu

Front Man

Thinking of trying unbuntu for an operating system in a dell latitude netbook.

Mostly out of curiosity and I think it might make a great emergency computer.

I already know my business software is not compatable.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

FM

Edited by Front Man

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

FM

I haven't really played too much with Ubuntu. I have the disks, but don't use it.

One plus is that its pretty cheap.

There's a bunch of different Unix version for free out there. Ubuntu is supposed to have some of the best device support. There's a bunch of variants out there too, some more recommended than Ubuntu.. but Ubuntu is probably a good place to start.

Another good one is Fedora. (Redhat)

Read some reviews, you'll find one that fits the bill.

It does take a lot less processor power and memory.. so it's good on old hardware.

If you have a decent size USB drive, you can install it on there.. see how you like it.

I installed it running under Virtual PC (you need decent processor power and memory to do this)

And lastly,, there's a utility that's lets you dual boot Windows to Ubuntu.

Get wubi. Just google it. It will install ubuntu dual boot within windows but it will install it as a windows app so that when you dont want it anymore you just uninstall it. I use it almost exclusivly since XP was out. Faster and more stable than Vista or W7.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I tried and gave up on Ubuntu... just to familiar with Windows and naive about Linux methods to make the transition smoothly. Getting programs installed, playing media, networking, and navigating the OS just proved too awkward for me. I love the idea of open source software, but it's just not smooth enough for me. With more time, patience and the desire to learn it, maybe someday I will.

My problem with any flavor of linux is that there is no real support or vendor help; you have to prowl the various blogs and forums and HOPE you get a decent answer, and with any linux question, the first thing anyone tells you 99 times out of 100 is open up a console and start keying in all kinds of arcane and very VERY long console commands. If linux is going to get any sort of real mainstream acceptance, they need to get away from this technogeek nerd complex that runs rampant throughout. I'm a MVS systems programmer, I can key an IDCAMS "define cluster" command from memory that'll absolutely cross your eyes, but I don't want to screw with the linux console anymore than anyone else does.

My problem with any flavor of linux is that there is no real support or vendor help; you have to prowl the various blogs and forums and HOPE you get a decent answer, and with any linux question, the first thing anyone tells you 99 times out of 100 is open up a console and start keying in all kinds of arcane and very VERY long console commands. If linux is going to get any sort of real mainstream acceptance, they need to get away from this technogeek nerd complex that runs rampant throughout. I'm a MVS systems programmer, I can key an IDCAMS "define cluster" command from memory that'll absolutely cross your eyes, but I don't want to screw with the linux console anymore than anyone else does.

This is very true. My favorite activity is to look up on answer for fixing whatever mess I have made in a linux environment only to find that I now have no idea how to implement that solution. So now I have to look THAT up. Fun. For some reason I keep going back to it though and it is getting better.

I used Ubuntu off and on from 2006-2009. In 2009 I got a netbook and I didn't have it for 15 minutes before I was loading Ubuntu Desktop on it. It is the sole operating system on it and I wouldn't go back. Yes some of the fixes for various issues can be difficult, but most people on the forums make the commands copy and paste so it's still pretty simple.

Keep in mind though I have it on a secondary computer. This computer is an internet browser and I use it to access my "server" running Ubuntu Server and that is really it.

If it is a spare computer go for it and have fun. Just remember if you mess something up on your user account bad enough you can usually get by just creating a new user account unless you managed to do it as Super User.

• 1 month later...

Wgnoyes,

I saw you posted something about losing printers in Win 7 in another section of this forum. Found you from a Google search on the same subject. I still have not fixed my Win 7 issue. But, I joined the forum so I could answer one of your questions about Windows - any version - being not ready for mission critical applications. I could not agree more!!!

I was going to recommend Ubuntu. I have used it for about 3+ years on my laptop. Works great.

You do give up some Windows compatibility. Like Quicken, Quick Books, Peach Tree. However, for basic web surfing, and Office Suite stuff, it works like a charm.

I edit MS Word and Excel files in Open Office all the time with very few compatibility issues. Mostly formatting.

Seldom do I have problems. And, uhm.. no Viri!

You can find GOOD support at www.ubuntu.org

Hint on the long commands in Linux:

Assuming you are running Linux and a web browser like Firefox and you have a terminal window open on the desktop.

Highlight the command on the screen. Crtl-C = Copy

Mouse over to the terminal window. Crtl+Shift-V = Paste on Command line

Press Return. Works for those long complex entry lines.

The thing is, ubuntu and OpenSUSE and all the rest come with ALL kinds of different gui's for accomplishing most anything one could want. Often I'll find 4 or 5 different gui utilities on an installation that all affect the same thing. And then the standard answer for most any question is still "open up a console,...". Copy/paste into the console? That to me isn't an answer. The mainstream average computer user doesn't have a prayer of utilizing linux if the tech support standardized answer number 1 is always open up a console. I work with Roger Maier and Rob Boudrie on ezwinscore from time to time and to hear them talk, you ought to hear the stupid crap they have to wade through. (What Roger calls the "my thingie's broke" crowd.) That grade of end users wouldn't stand a snowball's chance with linux. To me, its just indefensible.

• 7 months later...

i have been using ubuntu for 2 yrs now and love it. its on my old 8 yr old computer that wouldn't run xp any more. saved me the $ of buying a new computer and is fast. It is weird at first to get used to but not hard once you figure stuff out. plus its free

Well, there's ONE flavor of unix whose GUI is so well thought out and aimed so directly at the average consumer in that "it just works", that it finally became impossible for me to ignore. It's not free. Far from it, and it even comes with its own dedicated hardware platform, with a piece of fruit emblazened on the side. My previous experiences with the file structure of linux opensuse and ubuntu made the leap not that difficult, and I've still got ms office and adobe creative suite. And no one ever tells me to open up a damned terminal session.

Edited by wgnoyes

Well, there's ONE flavor of unix whose GUI is so well thought out and aimed so directly at the average consumer in that "it just works", that it became possible for me to ignore. It's not free. Far from it, and it even comes with its own dedicated hardware platform, with a piece of fruit emblazened on the side.

+1

Maybe it has to do with GUI designers don't speak to the non-GUI developers...too often dev vs design gets in the way of progress. No actual people implied or referred here... :ph34r:

In.

My old desktop had become unbearable. Copied off the files. Nothing to lose.

I'm not used to firefox (I know most love it, I've been running chrome) [edit] OK...got Chrome. :)

How's Chrome working out?

I'm only a day or two into it. So far so good. It syn'd up with my account and pulled in my Fav's from my work computer. And, I activated the Chrome to Phone gadget and was able to send a long/funky email address to my phone (saving me from typing it into my phone by by hand).

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

FM

I haven't really played too much with Ubuntu. I have the disks, but don't use it.

One plus is that its pretty cheap.

There's no downside to trying it out.

Most of this thread is from awhile ago, and the linux distributions have greatly improved since.

I use Ubuntu and have for a couple of satisfying years.

The system runs nearly faultlessly, the updates work without hassles, the additional software installs easily, and it makes an older computer young and fresh, again.

Wish it would do that for me, too.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm only a day or two into it. So far so good. It syn'd up with my account and pulled in my Fav's from my work computer. And, I activated the Chrome to Phone gadget and was able to send a long/funky email address to my phone (saving me from typing it into my phone by by hand).

One thing with Chrome on Unbuntu... embedded videos (like we often see on this forum) play in a jumpy manner. They work fine if you go to the youtube page though.