Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame Modification

nbraybrook

I have a witness elite match, Its the newer version with the light rail. I weighed it to see what it weights out to. Im getting 44.1oz on my digital scale. I am looking into diffrent grips, guide rod ect. But if I cant get it down to 43oz then the next step is to see about getting the light rails machined off. Would that be legal?

Edited by NJBphotography

I interviewed Ernie Langdon for an article just after he won his CDP National Champion title with a stainless SIG P220. If that's the gun to which you refer, he didn't make weight by machining the frame, he did it by dumping those hideously oversized, heavy, rubber with steel insert grips and going for a set of wooden P220 grips instead.

I have a witness elite match, Its the newer version with the light rail. I weighted it to see what it weights out to. Im getting 44.1oz on my digital scale. I am looking into diffrent grips, guide rod ect. But if I cant get it down to 43oz then the next step is to see about getting the light rails machined off. Would that be legal?

If it's got the full dust cover like the CZ 75 SP-01 then you'll need to get to 39 oz with a magazine (SSP division weight) because ESP division does not allow full dust covers. If the light rail does not extend out as a full dust cover then you are fine with the 43 oz weight limit.

No external modifications are allowed in IDPA, so no it would not be legal to machine off the light rails.