Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget production division gun

Philo_Beddoe

I was thinking of getting a used Glock 17 from dawson precision with their adjustable sights installed and throwing a vanek classic trigger in it for a budget glock production gun.

Is there anything with a competition (sub 4 lbs) trigger and adjustable sights more budget than this?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philo

You should be good to go with that set up.. I've seen several of those used G17's at Dawson's and they are good to go. The Vanek kit would be the only thing you could skip for now to get rolling. You can drop in a connector, change some springs, and do an easy polish job and have a very shootable glock trigger. Also on the G17s you might want to add an extended mag release button but that's about it... The 17 is a great gun.

Depending on how handy you are, I'd go with a Glock 34 and do my own trigger job on it. You can get spare triggers for cheap in case you screw up bad and you'll save a ton of money over a Vanek (although Vanek's are awesome).

+1 on skipping the Vanek upgrades if you wanted. You could go with the 34 with the 4.5lbs factory connector and go with the Dawsons. If you want to save even more money go with fixed sights. I found that I have never really needed adjustible.

Ok

New G34 with dawson adustable sights, Cost to me roughly $750

Pro's

longer sight radius

extended mag release

extemded slide release

new

vs

Used G17 with dawsons and vanek trigger, Cost to me $650

Pro's

Better trigger

$100 dollar cost savings

hmm

One of the biggest advantage myths in this game is the additional 83/100th's of an inch the G34 sight radius provides IMO. It may be somewhat helpful if this were a slow fire 30-50 yard target match.

But this is a fast, short range (3-20 yard) endeavor. And for something over 99% of us the G17, with a good trigger and sights, could be close to prefect.

I can get police trade-in 17's around here for $350-$375

Mine is a 2nd gen--I prefer the grip to a 3rd gen.

Sights--I like Sevigny's $50

Connector, trigger spring and polishing $20. Around a 3# trigger and s-m-o-o-t-h.

Striker spring. I use stock. The light one WILL

bite you eventually!

Grip. Skateboard tape is fine--and cheap.

I like Brook's Tactical A-Grip $25

Good to go at that point, but I usually run a

ISMI captured stainless guiderod with a 15# or even a 13#

ISMI spring.

Practice. Practice. Practice.

Edited by open17

Key word being"budget". I would get the used 17 stock. Buy some extra mags.(you will want at least 5 or 6). And wear it out. Once you are sure it is the gun for you(with Glocks this is always a question mark) then think about changing sights, triggers, etc. or getting a 34 or something else.

GIShooter hit it on the head. Get a G17 used (around $350 from Summit Gun Broker), sights for $65-80, and then finish it off with your own skate board tape and a Glockworx spring kit/3.5 lb Connector.

The bare minimum I would start with is a Glock 17 (new or old doesn't matter), and new sights (warren/sevigny FO front and plain rear) I can't stand the OEM sights. After that In order I would add grip tape, butt plug, extended mag release, extended slide stop. While I have a vanek trigger that I love, the stock trigger is extremely shootable and I don't feel that you "need" a vanek trigger to be competitive...it just makes it easier :cheers:. If you dry fire a ton the trigger will smooth out and you can always try the .25 cent trigger job on your own.

CAZ

My path...

A new 4th Gen G17 cost me $499.00. Added a set of Heinie slant pros for 69.00 extra.

The sights are leaps and bounds better then the Glock factory ones, the gun comes with 3 grip inserts

and the texture eliminates the need for grip tape. The magazine release is an improvement over the 3rd

Generation G17 and teh gun came with 3 mags. Pick up an extra three mags for roughly 75 bucks and your good to go.

Grand total spent on my gun... just under 650 bucks less the taxes and it's all brand spankin new stuff.