Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for good dual purpose defense/competition sights for G17

CJ1

I have recently started shooting USPSA/IPSC matches with my G17. I've been using the crappy factory sights. This pistol is also a carry/home defense gun. So, I am looking for a set of sights that will work well for both uses. Prefer to keep the cost under $100. I'm thinking a plain black rear with tritium up front would be good. I prefer the front sight to have some contrast so it stands out better. Thank you.

for me meprolights adjustable do the trick.

i think it's the best quality night sights for glocks, they're quite visible in daylight or at indoor matches,the rear is adjustable in windage/elevation, you can get different colors front/rear for an enhanced contrast, it fit my needs pretty well.

this is the sight picture i get in full dark, no wonder they make your gun a quite effective side arm for home defense.

2zekufc.jpg

Edited by sigsauerfan

I have a set of Heinie Straight 8 night sights for my off-duty 32C. They were just under $100.00, but I found that the standard Glock sight tool does not work very well on the rear. The rear also rquired some delicate file work.

Really like the warren tactical sights, notched sides w/non-outlined dim-yellow rear dots, thin white outlined green front dot, great for duty/defense/match use, imo.

Edited by rc2125

On my match guns (G34 / G21SF) I have Warren Tact. sights with the red FO front sight, but for my carry gun (G19) I have Trijicon night sights. I like the Trijicons but the next time I get a set of NS, I plan to try the Warren Tact. night sights.

The Ameriglo Hackathorn set is killer. They're sold out for a reason...

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/special-combinations

Those look awesome! That is exactly what I need.

Glad to be of help. FWIW, If you want them to hit at the top of the the front blade order the version for the .45/10mm's, otherwise your POI will be the center of the dot. They're a .140" wide front but matched to the .180" rear notch they're the same light-bar ratio as Warren/Sevigny Compition's, just wider (you loose a little bit of precision out past 15 yards or so but in closer that orange dot is super-duper-fast and you've got the tritium).

24b338ed-1.jpg

Edited by ck1

OK, now I'm not so sure what I want. I've been doing some more reading and looking around at different sights. I like the looks of many of them, but I can't afford to try them all. I've looked at plain black sights, tritium night sights, plain rear with tritium front, plain rear with fiber optic front, wide notch/narrow front, etc. etc. There are just too many options/variables, it is really overwheming. All I really know for sure is I HATE the factory junk that Glock calls sights. I know for sure I want a plain black rear sight. I find any markings on the rear sight a distraction. I've blacked out the white outline on the factory sights for this reason. The front sight is where I can't make up my mind, as well as the rear sight notch width.

Can someone help explain the differences to me? Pictures would be most helpful and appreciated as well. Thanks again for all your help.

Heine straight 8's. Good clear crisp target style sight for day shooting. Necessary, night sight for low light defense gun. Most night sights overwhelm the sight picture during daylight shooting. The dot on dot is very sublime on the Heine's in daylight and won't take away from the good sight picture of the post in the notch.

OK, now I'm not so sure what I want. I've been doing some more reading and looking around at different sights. I like the looks of many of them, but I can't afford to try them all. I've looked at plain black sights, tritium night sights, plain rear with tritium front, plain rear with fiber optic front, wide notch/narrow front, etc. etc. There are just too many options/variables, it is really overwheming. All I really know for sure is I HATE the factory junk that Glock calls sights. I know for sure I want a plain black rear sight. I find any markings on the rear sight a distraction. I've blacked out the white outline on the factory sights for this reason. The front sight is where I can't make up my mind, as well as the rear sight notch width.

Can someone help explain the differences to me? Pictures would be most helpful and appreciated as well. Thanks again for all your help.

Here's a link to a useful thread from another forum where guys posted pics of a bunch of different sight set-ups, should help you get an idea of what's out there: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=58048

Edited by ck1

Thanks ck1, that is helpful. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Ameriglo "Hackathorn" sights or the Ameriglo "Defoor" sights, or possibly the Defoor rear with a tritium front. After seeing the plain black sights, they do seem to provide a nice sharp uncluttered sight picture, and possibly more precise. But are they easy to pick up at speed? What about low light use? I can see how the plain black sights should work well on a well lit outdoor range, but what about indoor range use, and low light self defense use? Ck1, I noticed you have both set ups. Which one do you prefer and why?

For me the Defoor set is better, but think that's partly because for the past few months i've been all about the "back-to-basics" approach with the all-black irons, the thinner .115" front and narrower notch is better for me as my shots at distance were my weakest area, and, I happen to be in the camp that doesn't think night sights are an absolute necessity, YMMV... They teach you that the light bars and alignment is what's important, not gimmicks. As far as low-light is concerned, if you're looking through the sights they're either the best thing ever (more light in front than behind you) or kinda harder to find but still pretty good (more ambient light behind you), if you can't find 'em you can't make your target and probably should't be shooting, close-in under SD/SHTF instances it's 100% index and training, not sights IMHO.

All-black irons are super crisp and are actually very fast if you give them a chance, I'm a believer now for sure.

The Hack set-up is great too, could be very slightly faster and easier to pick up but not by nearly as much as you might think if you've never shot all-black's before, but it's a wider overall picture so shots at say 15-25+ yards are tougher with that wide front.

Guess if I was going to use tritium I'd get their Defoor rear and their .125 trit front (GL-400 + Gl-112T I think) to have a bomb all-around set-up. Get the taller GL-401 rear if you want POI to be at the top of the front blade instead of at the dot.

Edited by ck1

• 1 month later...

I really like Warren Sevigny Carry sights, black on black. Perhaps I sacrifice a little when carrying in the dark, but if there's enough light to see my target, I can probably see an outline of the sights too. However, my TruGlo TFO's are a close second. I'm not overwhelmed with the green front and rear. I've used them a long time, perhaps I'm used to them by now.

• 6 months later...

For me the Defoor set is better, but think that's partly because for the past few months i've been all about the "back-to-basics" approach with the all-black irons, the thinner .115" front and narrower notch is better for me as my shots at distance were my weakest area, and, I happen to be in the camp that doesn't think night sights are an absolute necessity, YMMV... They teach you that the light bars and alignment is what's important, not gimmicks. As far as low-light is concerned, if you're looking through the sights they're either the best thing ever (more light in front than behind you) or kinda harder to find but still pretty good (more ambient light behind you), if you can't find 'em you can't make your target and probably should't be shooting, close-in under SD/SHTF instances it's 100% index and training, not sights IMHO.

All-black irons are super crisp and are actually very fast if you give them a chance, I'm a believer now for sure.

The Hack set-up is great too, could be very slightly faster and easier to pick up but not by nearly as much as you might think if you've never shot all-black's before, but it's a wider overall picture so shots at say 15-25+ yards are tougher with that wide front.

Guess if I was going to use tritium I'd get their Defoor rear and their .125 trit front (GL-400 + Gl-112T I think) to have a bomb all-around set-up. Get the taller GL-401 rear if you want POI to be at the top of the front blade instead of at the dot.

I would like to tr the defoor sights as well. I have used the Heinie sights with great satisfaction, but I bought a Roni stock for my glock to use

in low velocity carbine indoor matches (pistol calibers) The heinie sight doesn't fit , it's to high.

So my best option are the Defoor sights as they are low enough. If somebody could send me a set i would be in heaven. of course I'll pay shipping and the sights. Ameriglo doesn't send to belgium

David