Transition Drill Part 1

benos

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a C hoping to soon be a B. I'm practicing for the Florida Open (my first big match), so I was using classic targets. I think that may have cost me a couple of A's.

This thread has been going on for over four years now, so it must be good. Cant wait to hear the rest of the story....

Hi. I'm fairly new when it comes to competitive shooting and I'm very interested to try this drill. But we only have an indoor range so I won't be able to set up 3 targets side by side. Do you have any suggestion how I can recreate this drill in an indoor setting? Thanks guys!

Btw, this forum is a goldmine! I'm glad to have stumbled upon it!

Since the goal of the Transition Drill is to reveal the best visual technique to effectively shoot multiple targets (that are not right next to each other), unfortunately, you won't be able to set up the drill with one target.

:(

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to shooting this drill....I've only shot IDPA for a few years and just barely made ESP expert last classifier (last month) so not sure if my times are up to par with other experts or if I'm still in SS or worse, MM territory!lol I ran the drill 8 times. First 4 are from left to right, last 4 were right to left.

String 1-4.75 with 0.5 added

String 2-5.08 with 1.5 added

String 3-4.76 with 2.5 added

String 4-5.72 with 2.5 added

String 5-5.20 with 0 added (finally!)

String 6-5.53 with 2.0 added

String 7-5.24 with 1.5 added

String 8-5.46 with 1.5 added

Think that comes to a 6.72 average. My first shots were anywhere from 1.27 to 1.48. Most were in the 1.40's. Might be ready for pt 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi. I'm fairly new when it comes to competitive shooting and I'm very interested to try this drill. But we only have an indoor range so I won't be able to set up 3 targets side by side. Do you have any suggestion how I can recreate this drill in an indoor setting? Thanks guys!

Btw, this forum is a goldmine! I'm glad to have stumbled upon it!

How large is your indoor range at the very backstop end?

• 1 month later...

I tried Part 2 and it improved my time by atleast 1.5... this drill is very helpful in trimming your transition time and it really opened up my mind in paying attention to targets and seeing with details unlike the way I see it before, I'm not sure if its just me but once I snap my eyes to the next target and drive my sight to it, as soon as I got my acceptable sight picture and starting to press the trigger (by this time, if my hand does its part, I know my shot will hit the A zone) - then my eyes would snap on to the next for another cycle.

My question is, should I aim all through out until the shot breaks like a follow through in golf, or should I continue what I'm doing and snap to the next target without waiting for the shot to break? I know hitting the target is hitting the target but I just want to know what would be beneficial for me in the long run and also to develop the right habit.

Cheers!

Edited by quaker

• 3 weeks later...

Today I did 9 runs with and average of 5.42 most of the time I'd have 2 out of the A raw time average was 4.63. At the end of the session I went full out and got a 3.96 all alpha, now I need to pull that every time.

Edited by Red magnum

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...