Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transition Drill Part 1

benos

It took me quite a while to find this old post, so I started a thread with it to make it easier to find later...

And for a live-fire drill, next time you're at the range, try the following drill.

Set up 3 IPSC targets at 10 yards, about a yard a apart, edge to edge. Only hits in the A box count. On the buzzer draw and shoot one shot at each target - left to right, then repeat left to right, then repeat again left to right - for a total of 9 shots. Check your time, add a half second for each non-A, and note your score. You don't really care about your score that much, just remember it for later. Shoot a 6 - 10 strings, to establish an average score. While you're establishing your average - you're just shooting like you normally would. Don't try any new tricks or anything at all. In the end just know your average score for the drill.

As I was typing part 2, I thought of a way to keep it real. ;) There won't be a part 2 until you go to the range and do part 1. Then PM me, and I'll reply with part 2.

be

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

man...a HALF a second? :) This is "Enos Factor Scoring" gone wild.

I'l try to get this done before the weekend.

I need to work on "the dot" anyway

It took me quite a while to find this old post, so I started a thread with it to make it easier to find later...

And for a live-fire drill, next time you're at the range, try the following drill.

Set up 3 IPSC targets at 10 yards, about a yard a apart, edge to edge. Only hits in the A box count. On the buzzer draw and shoot one shot at each target - left to right, then repeat left to right, then repeat again left to right - for a total of 9 shots. Check your time, add a half second for each non-A, and note your score. You don't really care about your score that much, just remember it for later. Shoot a 6 - 10 strings, to establish an average score. While you're establishing your average - you're just shooting like you normally would. Don't try any new tricks or anything at all. In the end just know your average score for the drill.

As I was typing part 2, I thought of a way to keep it real. ;) There won't be a part 2 until you go to the range and do part 1. Then PM me, and I'll reply with part 2.

be

I will do this sometime this week. Cool stuff...

be

I seem to remember this one. I have not done it for a while, I will do it again and see if I have improved.

Thanks benos

I went out and shot this today. Had several runs that were all A's in mid to high fives. If my time was better the hits suffered and the overall adjusted time was worse. I am going to add this to the livefire routine.

Edited by Coach

I must be slow, so bare with me. Which is the correct engagement pattern?

Order 1: T1, T2, T3, T3, T2, T1, T1, T2, T3

Order 2: T1, T2, T3, T2, T1, T2, T3, T2, T1

I think it's

T1, T2, T3, T1, T2, T3, T1, T2, T3

I must be slow, so bare with me. Which is the correct engagement pattern?

Order 1: T1, T2, T3, T3, T2, T1, T1, T2, T3

Order 2: T1, T2, T3, T2, T1, T2, T3, T2, T1

I think it's

T1, T2, T3, T1, T2, T3, T1, T2, T3

Yes. Left to right, left to right, left to right.

be

Ran it today. 5.5 avg with 2 points down, with a CZ shadow. Used the Glock 34 also, 4.1 avg and 2 points down. Also a 6" STI 3.4 down 3 points. I am still trying to figure out if I can laearn to shoot the CZ. It's accurate enough, I just can't get any speed out of it. Good drill I plan to add to my practice regimen for Nationals. So what is part 2? I will be shooting production and need to get my hits.

... add a half second for each non-A, and note your score

be

Did this tonight. I averaged my first 7 runs for 5.62s. Then I played with it for awhile and burned some runs into the high 4's. As Coach says, the faster i tried to go the worse my score became. Best runs happened after the first 7 and they were all "vision". Great drill, can't wait for part 2 from Brian, PM sent.

I always do drills going both directions to lessen possible weak areas. I plan to do this 5 strings goin L-R, 5 strings R-L then ave all strings. will this defeat the purpose for the Part 2? Thanks.

Not at all. It will make sense when you read part 2.

be

I shot this today. I did not try any new tricks as the description says..........but I did notice a few things while shooting Part 1. Is what I noticed, I was having trouble having a focus on the front site through the whole drill. I would get through the first part and then the second part mid way through I caught myself having a target focus the hits suffered as a result.

Time to get Part 2!

Edited by bkeeler