Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

extractor numbers

I just got my second Tanfoglio Limited Custom. I was having some issues with failure to extract, about 1 out of 50. I had ordered an extra extractor for my first gun but hadn't needed it yet, so I put that in. The last 250 rounds went with no issues. Now the two extrators looked exactly the same to my eye, except that the one Henning sent me had a number "40" on it and the one that came out of the gun had the number "45". Do these numbers mean anything important, like caliber? The gun is a .40 S+W so I'm just wondering if I should toss the extractor because it's the wrong caliber, or keep it for the first gun cause it's no good in the second gun.

By the way, I tried to install the new extractor with a Wolf extra power spring, my thumbs are still hurting. The new extractor went in with the factory spring, I gave up on the Wolf spring after a 1/2 hour. I may have tried longer (or used better tools), but I was at the range. Wolf isn't kidding around when they say extra power. ouch.

The 40 and 45 do indeed designate caliber; unless one of your guns is a .45 the other extractor is worthless. You might talk to EAA about exchanging/replacing it since they put the wrong part in your gun.