Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to Austin, TX

I just accepted a job offer to relocate to Austin from Georgia. First day is in 2 weeks.

I already visited Steve J's Google Map to see all the clubs, so I have some idea where I can shoot. I am more interested in other important things to know.

I will be working near Round Rock, so we will live in that area for a while. Any other nice places to live? I am married, no kids yet, but we want to find a place that we can start the family.

random things:

I have a couple dogs and a cat... know a good vet or a groomer?

Top places to eat when we get there?

a good farmers market?

Anything else I don't know that you think is important? just looking for information that I cant find online.

Done some searches on the forum, but need a little more.

Let me know.

Matt

I just accepted a job offer to relocate to Austin from Georgia. First day is in 2 weeks.

I already visited Steve J's Google Map to see all the clubs, so I have some idea where I can shoot. I am more interested in other important things to know.

I will be working near Round Rock, so we will live in that area for a while. Any other nice places to live? I am married, no kids yet, but we want to find a place that we can start the family.

random things:

I have a couple dogs and a cat... know a good vet or a groomer?

Top places to eat when we get there?

a good farmers market?

Anything else I don't know that you think is important? just looking for information that I cant find online.

Done some searches on the forum, but need a little more.

Let me know.

Matt

Matt,

I understand Austin is a pretty easy going city.

You should like it there.

I'm from Houston, don't know the local hot spots, sorry.

Shooting-wise, I'm sure you'll have plenty opportunity.

Welcome to Texas! :cheers:

Roman

I built the "new" Post Office in Round Rock in 1983 the one it replaced was in the historic building with a feet X10 feet room.

Austin a fine Town Lots of great people.

It was a even better place for a single guy in the 80s , But I married a San Antonio Girl and like SA too.

you can shoot two matches on most any weekend.

Jamie

I built the "new" Post Office in Round Rock in 1983 the one it replaced was in the historic building with a feet X10 feet room.

Austin a fine Town Lots of great people.

It was a even better place for a single guy in the 80s , But I married a San Antonio Girl and like SA too.

you can shoot two matches on most any weekend.

Jamie

Alamo 4 matches on any weekend, if you got split personality. There are lots of places to eat in Austin, not as many as Houston a town in which no one even has a stove. Housing costs in Austin are higher than San Antonio, but then again so are the salaries. Back in the 70's when I use to race stock cars at Austin Paramount speedway the groupie chicks use to hang on the fence, times were good, like Alamo said. You will be close enough to drive to STI or Brazos. San Antonio has lots of places to stand in Line, like Sea World and Fiesta Texas etc.

Good luck on your new job and welcome to shooting country.

Round rock is a nice place to live, my best friend just bought there first house there. Just west of the shops of Round Rock.

Head to Salt Lick BBQ ASAP...but its BYOB.

Fredericksburg and dripping springs is a place your girl will love and a nice drive to see the countryside from Austin.

The Hill country is amazing.

Round Rock is a good place to live... very safe ;) I'm in Pflugerville, which is right next door. You can shoot one or two matches every weekend, max drive of 2 hours.

Look me up when you get in town - I'll be happy to point you around, etc... cheers.gif

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to revive an older thread... but I made it to Austin. Granted it hasnt yet been a full week, but the best decision. I can't wait to find a house and get my gear and start shooting. My wife flew out last night and we started looking. She is going on a housing hunting trip today.

Look forward to shooting with all of you.

Matt

If you end up downtown - Kirby Lane is a good 24 hr. place. I lived in S. Austin for awhile, so I know more stuff there. As you've probably figured out, traffic is insane, so I'd look for things as close as possible to you.