Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Panta Rei

Flexmoney

Everything flows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panta_rei

Panta Rei is a famous phrase in reference to Heraclitus' thoughts about change, Πάντα ῥεῖ (panta rhei) meaning everything flows in ancient Greek – see Heraclitus#Panta rhei, "everything flows".

- "Ever-newer waters flow on those who step into the same rivers ."

- "Everything changes and nothing remains still"

- "We both step and do not step in the same rivers. We are and are not."

• 5 years later...

I use to repeat the phrase "flow like water" before the buzzer.

That set off all kinds of thoughts. How does water flow? Like a super soaker (reminds me of somebody from your side of the border)? Like a water jet? I watched one of the Japan tsunami videos the other day.

That question gets interesting, when we attach thoughts to it.

• 3 years later...

Panta Rei   ...  saw this on a license plate during my commute one day.  Pretty cool.  

Then, a week later, I saw it in the parking lot where I work.  

Rheology (/riːˈɒlədʒi/; from Greek ῥέω rhéō, 'flow' and -λoγία, -logia, 'study of') is the study of the flow of matter, primarily in a liquid state, but also as "soft solids" or solids under conditions in which they respond with plastic flow rather than deforming elastically in response to an applied force.

Humm awesome,, been talking to a physicist buddy of mine about some theories from ZZT. and shooting bowling pins..

Basically said physicist talked about force and a basketball,,, full hard basketball bounces... SOOOOOOOOOO alot of that energy gets redirected up... Partially flat basketball, while round is sorta a solid in a liquid state when it hits an object.
SAME mass, same velocity,,, the semi liquid round ball that flatens when it hits then STOPS.  transfers more energy into the ground than the hard round which bounces.

Dwell time!  Little bit of a running joke between me and an old shooting buddy, but Sierra Bullets had a blurb in their manual about building a bullet with "dwell time", which the theory was that it allowed it to transfer energy into the target.