Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CED and IR screens

I have a CED orginal model that with IR screens will not read MG bullets accurately. With the sky screens it reads 1040 FPS and with the IR screens it reads 550 FPS.

If I alternate bullet types in a mag(WWB 1204 fps on the sky screens and MG )over the IR screens the WWB reads correctly and the MG reads 550.

Any Ideas other that building a box?

Thanks

Tom

what conditions(I.e. outdoor, indoor, in the shade, out of shade, etc, etc)?

When we use the CED outdoors, we use the standard screens or the IR screens but not powered up.

This setup will read MG, zero, WWB, and whatever else we can throw at it that goes fast enough.

the Crono reads the "Shadow" of the bullet. So you have to have the sun -over- the screens . my bet is you are trying to crono late in the day.

If I have to Crono late or early I will 'Tilt' the screens to the sun so that the bullet can throw the shadow . The defuses only work mid day sun angle.

If Montana Gold can make a bullet that will not throw a shadow ....... they would cost a bunch

what conditions(I.e. outdoor, indoor, in the shade, out of shade, etc, etc)?

When we use the CED outdoors, we use the standard screens or the IR screens but not powered up.

This setup will read MG, zero, WWB, and whatever else we can throw at it that goes fast enough.

IR screens are for low light conditions? I want to use IR screens all the time for consistant readings.

Tom

I glued cardboard to the top of the IR screens' diffusers to block ambient light; that way I have constant light all the time. I use them in full daylight with no problems.

The only time I've had problems was when the battery gets low. The low-battery indicator is a completely filled battery icon (it doesn't appear at all when the battery is good), which is counter-intuitive. If you have any doubts, replace the battery before doing anything else.

Welcome to my world!!!!!!!!

I am having a similiar prob.

I either get an error or some BS off the chsrt reading(3800- 5500fps) it has been sent back once and they say it is fine.

I jacked with this thing for most of the day sunday.

Built a box, flat black on the inside.

IR kit hooked up to 110 volt.

Blacked the bullets.

Shot from 8' to 24' cannot get a good reading.

Friend has a Pro Chrono that will get them sitting right next to the CED?????? Fired a ten round string tonite over it with a SD of 5.

Shooting 124 gr CMG Montana gold.

Can someone splain dis 2 me??????????

... You paid too much for your chrono? ... :-)

Actually, I was in the same boat with my CED M2 as well. I shoot 180 CMJ Montana Golds. I was getting inconsistent readings. I don't have the IR screens but was experimenting with my own home made IR screens using LEDs I'd picked up from Radio Shack. I was hoping to get more reliable readings using a constant IR source. Anyway , I was still getting unreliable readings until one day I accidentally shot through both sensors. (See my thread about calling my shots straight into the chrono.)

The replacement sensors I got are super reliable. Talk about an expensive way to fix a problem. :-)

Occasionally, a friend would bring his Pro Chrono and we'd setup our chrono's in tandem. We'd get a variance in readings, but they were always a consistent giving both of us confidence in our chrono's readings.

I'd try to see if somebody else owns a CED chrono in your area and see if you can borrow their sensors. It probably won't hurt at this point. Also have them try using your sensors. It may help narrow the problem down to the console unit or the sensors.

Also check out the manual, or the issue of Front Sight a couple of months ago. Other than ambient light and reflections, they had other things listed as possible causes of problems. I think I was surprised when they listed other electromagnetic sources as potentially causing problems for the CED. See page 16 of the manual: http://shootingsoftware.com/ftp/CEDM2ManLayout.pdf

I just recieved a reply from CED. They are sending me replacement sensors and chrono to try to rectify the problem.

They have tried to figure out the problem and are being very helpful in dealing with the issue!

Mildot