Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed Option

Flexmoney

• 2 weeks later...

Ong posted this in a different thread :

It's never too early to start talking about this for the steel freaks.

Speed Option, 4-3-1-2-stop

Because I would rather shoot the close ones first then focus out to the option plate and stop plate.

I think it's faster for me because i don't have to switch gears in the middle of the order.

James

I'm no steel challenge expert for sure having only shot it once, but I shot it with a pretty good shooter and we agreed on shooting it 4, 3, 1, 2, stop.

Seemed the smoothest way and with the best transitions. Not a lot of speeding up and slowing down.

Since I like to shoot left to right, I shoot 1, 3, 4, 2, then stop plate.

When I started shooting I was so slow, I was told I should probably skip the option plate for best time. Then the next time I shot this stage, my mentor said I should take only one shot at it before moving on, now I'll even take two shots at it if I have to :)

George

Switching your eye focus out to the option plate (2) then back in is a loser if you're shooting iron sights and over 16 years old. With a dot it's not such a big deal. In open, I'll usually shoot this 4,3,2,1,stop with an option to go back to 2 if I missed the first time.

you're obligated to shoot targets 1,3,4, and stop, to acquire a score. if you also shoot the option plate, 2, you will have 2 seconds deducted from that string time.

the choice is yours. You can wind up with some awefully low times just by engaging that "extra" target!

Ray C.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Starting this year it's straight time, no "option" deduction.

I am one of the freaks of nature who can't shoot #4 first. I get much better times going 3-4-2-1, under 3 seconds as opposed to over 3. I thought this would be limited to iron sights but I have to shoot Open this way, too, because of the draw.

The downside is it's a longer swing from 4 to 2 and I ended up missing 2 a lot.

• 18 years later...