Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roundabout

Flexmoney

• 2 weeks later...

I havn't settled on this one yet.

The thing I have to watch out for is I often shoot two plates on the left side and as I cross over to the right side, I almost settle on the stop plate. I havn't shot the stop plate out of order, but I have come to a complete stop before realizing my error.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Technically, 1,2,4,3 may be the fastest, and I've shot it that way in the Match more than once. But after many years of experience, not only my own, but studying others in the Match as well, one of the few things I can say for sure is that I'd now always shoot that stage 1,2,3,4.

Although the first way may be .05 faster, in the Match, I'd say it's a least 20% riskier.

At warp speed, if you miss plate 4, the audible recognition of the miss occurs right about the time you're shooting 3, and then it's just so easy to tap that stop plate and suck down a 5 second penalty. Do that on your first run in the match and you won't be able to jackhammer a needle up your ass.

;)

Remember, you've gotta keep four runs, not one.

i just pulled my times for this stage off of my notes, and with a limited gun shot it in 11.89, a concur with be that the disaster factor for shooting this any other way but 1,2,3,4,stop, is increased on match day, but then i shoot smoke and hope(1,2,3,4,stop) the same way for the same reasons. trapr

• 1 year later...

I have to shoot it 2, 1, 3, 4. It gets me a draw of about a second, a couple tenths faster than shooting #1 first. I can't get back those lost tenths with transitions using the 1234 order.

I'm a madman on the last two shots. I put down a 2.22 today with my P9 and I'm going to see how hard it is to hit sub-2 with my SV.

• 2 months later...
I have to shoot it 2, 1, 3, 4. It gets me a draw of about a second, a couple tenths faster than shooting #1 first. I can't get back those lost tenths with transitions using the 1234 order.

Logically, I can follow that. In practice, 2134 or 1243 might actually be a tad faster. In the match, however, if I ever missed a 15 yard target - highly probable on one or more runs because I'd tend to "wave" the gun at target 1 instead of stopping dead like I would on the first shot - I could flush that run down the toilet. After many years of experimenting with Roundabout, the simplest, easiest, and most consistent plan, for me, was to - Stop a centered first shot on target 1, "tap" target 2 on the way to stopping a centered shot on target 3 (making sure I'm behind the gun again before shooting target 3), then it's pretty easy to tap target 4 and out.

A common error, when deciding on the first target - is to shoot the closest target first. However, that doesn't take in to account that you will have to ACQUIRE the farther target, which you didn't shoot first, while shooting the rest of the stage. Not only does it take noticably longer to acquire a 15 yd target than an 8 yard target, but you are probably more than twice as apt to miss it - when the juices are flowing.

be

I shot this 1243 last year and i was up to a .10 faster most days. The problem with this order for me was on match day i would really slow down for plate 3 because of the high disaster factor.

I have since switched back to 1234, mentally much more relaxing and the times have actually improved to about the same as 1243.

James

I shot this 1243 last year and i was up to a .10 faster most days. The problem with this order for me was on match day i would really slow down for plate 3 because of the high disaster factor.

I have since switched back to 1234, mentally much more relaxing and the times have actually improved to about the same as 1243.

James

Ditto to that one.

I posted this, actually as sort of thread drift really in another forum, so I copied it here.

I'm always looking for something specific, but I'm seldom looking at any one place for too long.

Say the stage is the Steel Challenge's Roundabout, shooting L-R; 1,2,3,4, stop.

"Shooter ready, stand by" - I'm looking right at the target (15 yds) - "beep" - immediately my vision pulls back to close to where the sights will appear; by the time the sights arrive on the target, I have them in clear focus. "Bang-ding" - Immediately my eyes move to the next target (7 yds), as soon as it is seen as a "round object" (located), I'm bringing my eyes back to the gun/sights, which may be seen as a blur as they land on, or "come into" the target. "Bang-ding." Immediately on the bang, my eyes are looking for the center of the round shape of target 3 (15 yds); as soon as I've found/seen that, my eyes are coming back for the sights, and I will see a fairly clear sight alignment STOP on that target. "Bang-ding." Instantly my eyes are off in search of target 4 (7 yds) - as soon as I've found it as a round object I'm quickly looking for the sights, cause they're gonna be on the target real quick. "Bang-ding." With no interuption at all, my eyes are looking to lock onto the stop plate, then I'll wait for the sights to get there before hitting the trigger.

In that way you're always looking for something specific, but you're never staring at anything.

be

• 7 months later...

I have uploaded some videos from the 2002 SC stages of Roundabout and Outerlimits on my web site: http://www.raysolomon.com/page7/page1/page1.html.

I got inspired to post these videos after reading this discussion.

It is interesting to see how some of the top shooters "get ready" and compose themselves before and during each of the runs.

Ong45 is there also.

Ray--

Edited by RaySolomon

• 1 month later...

I shoot it 1,2,3,4, stop, because... the number 3 plate is easy to miss because of the transition past the stop plate, and if it IS missed, it can be picked up on the way back from the number 4 plate with little added time.

• 2 years later...

this stage is where i had an epiphany

i was told that each stage had it's own sound

this stage is where that hit me like a brick

the way i felt more confident shooting it was

1,2,4, pause 3,s

but the other way that i have tried is

1,2, pause 4,3,s

now when i say pause i don't mean i sit there for an hour

i mean getting your bearings before you shoot the next plate which could be hardly noticeable

but you can definitely hear the difference

i hope that makes sense

this stage is where i had an epiphany

i was told that each stage had it's own sound

this stage is where that hit me like a brick

the way i felt more confident shooting it was

1,2,4, pause 3,s

but the other way that i have tried is

1,2, pause 4,3,s

now when i say pause i don't mean i sit there for an hour

i mean getting your bearings before you shoot the next plate which could be hardly noticeable

but you can definitely hear the difference

i hope that makes sense

That's funny. I was just noticing the sound for Accelerator the other day-- dinkdink.dink...dink...dink First time I'd really thought of a stage that way.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Would have put this in the Roundabout stage section but didnt know if anyone would see it.

Why does everyone shoot Roundabout 1-2-3-4-S or 1-2-4-3-S. Seemed like it was faster for me going 4-3-1-2-S. Transition on last 3 targets seemed easier as they appear closer.

Just wondering. Fairly new to the game and trying to learn!

Dan