Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4 G17 reduced weight recoil spring?

punkey71

Searched around and didn't see anything about companies offering a reduced weight recoil spring.

Any one heard of one on the horizon or is it out there already and I'm just crappy and finding stuff?

The reason I ask is i'm running an 11 lb in my production gen 3 with 130PF loads. From what I'm reading the gen 4's may have issues with soft loads.

Thanks,

Harold

Edited by punkey71

Searched around and didn't see anything about companies offering a reduced weight recoil spring.

Any one heard of one on the horizon or is it out there already and I'm just crappy and finding stuff?

The reason I ask is i'm running an 11 lb in my production gen 3 with 130PF loads. From what I'm reading the gen 4's may have issues with soft loads.

Thanks,

Harold

I understand one of the major players is developing a new guide rod assembly for the G4 which will use after market springs.

Thanks to both of you. My G17 is on order and that is the only thing that had me concerned.

Nice to know it will feed...but I too would like the ability to change weights.

Any idea who is doing the R&D?

Thanks again,

Harold

Edited by punkey71

I got a Gen 4 to play around with a few months ago. The stock spring wouldn't cycle my loads reliably without having to have a death grip. I got a Jager metal guide rod and ground down a washer with my dremel to be a bit larger than the hole in the front of the slide. I haven't run more than 100 rounds through it. It seems to function fine with no noticeable damage or wearing on the frame or barrel.

Good info as well...thanks. I'm hoping I don't have to come to that though....

Best,

Harold

I got a Gen 4 to play around with a few months ago. The stock spring wouldn't cycle my loads reliably without having to have a death grip. I got a Jager metal guide rod and ground down a washer with my dremel to be a bit larger than the hole in the front of the slide. I haven't run more than 100 rounds through it. It seems to function fine with no noticeable damage or wearing on the frame or barrel.

That was my plan for re-springing, if I had needed to. Luckily, my Gen 4 is a 40 and the 15# factory spring is about perfect for me.

The only thing that I would do different is custom make a guide rod so that the head of it is the same diameter as the Gen 4, which is larger than the Gen 3. That would be a simple lathe job.

I've already designed and fabricated the Gen 4 recoil guide rods that allow use of single stage springs. I week for heat treat and black ox, and ready to add to web site.

Sorry for delay in strikers, I recieve back from coating vendor Tuesday 6/1 and will ship all backorders on Tuesday.

Thanks, jager

On www.m4carbine.net, Larry Vickers has posted that Glock is doing an about-face regarding the Gen4 G17, and apparently Glock is making provision for a "Gen 3 recoil spring set-up" for Gen4 G17s having issues.

I'm not sure exactly what that means. If it's true, the possibilities that come to my mind are a Gen4 double-nested spring using a lighter weight spring(s) for the G17, or simply reverting to a Gen 3 upper on a Gen4 lower. Alternatively, I suppose that Glock could use a single flat-spring (a la Gen 3 and earlier) recoil spring assembly, essentially using a Gen 3 spring on a recoil spring guide rod that works with the Gen4 slide and barrel. I would think that any of these approaches would pretty much equally suffice-if in fact there genuinely is a problem requiring a resolution.

Best, Jon

this nis why after much reading, asking, and picking up different G17s I went with a 3rd gen gun

1. Track record on the Gen 3

2. Availability for after market parts for the Gen 3 (and the lack of them for the Gen 4)especially trigger related components and recoil springs

3. The questions about the Gen 4 trigger bar/connector

4. I didnt think the backstraps made enough of a difference for me to notice, and I tried them all on the Gen 4

5. I figured I could put skate board tape on my new Glock if I wanted a grippy gun (I did so I did)

Plus the Gen 3 G17 can be had in Green (which I got) :D

15 pounds? Where did you hear that? At least in the Gen-3 configuration the G22 featured a 17-pound spring, and I can't imagine the Gen-4 is any lighter.

According to my contact on the technical side at the factory, it's a 15# constant-force spring. It is not supposed to stack up like a traditional spring.

I can believe that, because the 17# springs are always too strong for me, causing the nose to dip during rapid fire (such as a Bill Drill or a quick "hammer"). I have always swapped out the OEM for a 14-15# spring. The Gen 4 worked perfectly for me right out of the box. The first thing that I did with it was a quick Bill Drill and it grouped well.

On www.m4carbine.net, Larry Vickers has posted that Glock is doing an about-face regarding the Gen4 G17, and apparently Glock is making provision for a "Gen 3 recoil spring set-up" for Gen4 G17s having issues.

I'm not suprised about this at all. The first 4th gen I looked at kinda shocked me. The area where the front of the newly designed guide rod and the bigger front hole in the slide for it are really touchy dimensions. With that front washer being made of fairly thin and light metal, I could see a recoil spring popping through the hole and getting jammed there. I liked all the other changes but this one I wish they would have skipped and stayed with the older assembly.

It may stack in force differently than a single spring, but there is no such thing as a constant force, helically wound /coil spring. The pre-load in battery for the Gen 4 Glocks is way, way, higher than the Gen 3's, which is the major problem, I believe, with the 9mm versions.

I put a 1980's vintage 19lb glock spring and non-captured guide rod in a Gen 3 and it was easier to rack the slide with that than my Gen 4 with over a thousand rounds through it. They, for some reason known only to them, changed the slide dynamics on what was arguably the most reliable 9mm ever made. I sold my Gen 4.

I'm not suprised about this at all. The first 4th gen I looked at kinda shocked me. The area where the front of the newly designed guide rod and the bigger front hole in the slide for it are really touchy dimensions. With that front washer being made of fairly thin and light metal, I could see a recoil spring popping through the hole and getting jammed there. I liked all the other changes but this one I wish they would have skipped and stayed with the older assembly.

Agreed. I never liked the spring design on the baby glocks. It has definitely put me off from getting a Gen 4. If they did a 180 on that one design element, I would probably buy one.

Rumor on Glock talk is that Glock will be putting a "-" or reduced weight recoil spring in the new Gen 4- 9 mm glocks. Rumor also has it that glock will supply you a reduced weight spring for any Glocks already in circulation.

I'm getting kind of annoyed with my Gen4 G17 because of the new spring assembly even though I really am digging it for the most part. All of us who've shot 3rd Gens for a long time know it's too stiff and it's been long enough now where I'm not sure how much longer I'm willing to wait for Glock to address it, sick of guessing what and when they'll do something, I'd like to just shoot it 'till it gets softer, but if it's designed to go 10,000rds in the .40 who knows when it'll be broken-in fully with the 9mm, Glock's slow reaction to their customer's wishes can be annoying as hell IMO, if they acted faster they'd still have the share of the market they lost to the M&P already, this is more of the same BS.

I'm glad Jager has got an aftermarket option out already, but $40 + $17 in shipping is about close enough to the same amount I'd have to cough up to trade-in for an RTF2 model with the old reliable assembly that we all know works, if I wasn't digging the "L" backstrag on the new gun I'd probably just go that route...

FWIW, I don't think the recoil spring issue is that big of a deal to most shooters, but for guys on a forum like this one it is something that's for sure on the radar. Noticed that even after winning the indoor championship with a Gen4 G17 Sevigny went right back to the 3rdGen G34, hmmm...

Edited by ck1

Will using your guide-rod make the gun illegal in SSP or is it still legal with one? Was about to place my order when I thought of it....

My Gen. 4 guide rods won't be legal until We make the Polymer version. Hope to make them if the steel ones do well.

Thanks, jager

Will using your guide-rod make the gun illegal in SSP or is it still legal with one? Was about to place my order when I thought of it....

My Gen. 4 guide rods won't be legal until We make the Polymer version. Hope to make them if the steel ones do well.

Thanks, jager

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to wait for the polymer version since I'm one of the few who shoots the same gun in matches that they carry everyday, I approach the matches as a form of "practical practice"...

I have been shooting my Gen 4 G17 with 115gr and no issues, however, when I let my wife and daughter shoot it they had FTE problems (stovepiping) which I contributed to them limp wristing the pistol. I too feel that the factory recoil spring has too much weight. Does anyone know exactly what the weight of the factory springs are?

Another concern of mine is that I recently installed a compensator but have yet to try it out. I am hoping that I won't have issues because of it. I was considering a replacement guiderod/spring from Jager. Should I go with the 13 or the 15 pound assembly?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

Harold

I just replaced my factory Gen4 guiderod with Jagers and the 13# ISMI spring. It worked great shooting the 115gr UMC stuff.