Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5 To Go

Flexmoney

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the long transition at the end, I liked shooting this one:

4, 3, 2, 1, stop

It seemed easier to accelerate coming in closer and then make the long transition to the 7 yard stop plate rather than slowing down on the way out even though you would have an easier draw to #1.

Does that make sense? What's the right/best way to shoot this one?

DB,

I also shoot it backwards?? (4,3,2,1) I shot it the other way for a couple of years and damn if i'm not faster the other way around.

My buddy sez it's because my draw is so shitty it don't matter if i draw on the far or near target

James

When I'm on, I shoot it within a couple hundredths either way. If I'm not, 1,2,3,4 is better for me. TGO said 4,3,2,1 was just a touch slower for him, but more reliable since he didn't pull off 4 onto the stop plate too quickly and trash a run if the bullet didn't quite make 4.

• 2 weeks later...

Always shot it, and would always shoot it 1,2,3,4. Don't like starting on 4 (fer you backwardsers) and don't like the 1-stop transition.

The key on this stage is to just keep centering the first four targets. Don't allow the target layout to "suck you in." You gotta call shot/target 4.

be

• 1 year later...

I shot it a bunch with my Limited rig (Standard/Major) today. Plain L-R, 1-2-3-4-S. Plates 3 and 4 are the key shooting iron sights. James noticed every time my splits changed for plate 4, coming off high-thirties or low-forties to a .50 or so.

I swear I can average 3.25 in my sleep. I ran a few at 3.03 and I think two runs under 3. The good runs come not from pushing, but from seeing the sights better.

• 4 weeks later...

Today I tried drawing to #4. What a big, fat loser that was. :( Apparently somebody known as The Great One does that, but I sure can't.

With iron sights, shooting this stage 1-2-3-4 requires a progressively cleaner sight picture or focus type. You can't get sucked into using your plates #1 and #2 focus for plates #3 and #4. And then you have to shift into high gear for the stop plate.

Best four of five runs (Limited): 3.10, 3.03, 3.76, 3.37. Had a throwaway run, then an extra shot for that 3.76 run, then with two bad runs I had to shoot conservatively for 3.37.

Best practice runs: 3.01, 2.77, 2.51. There's precious little difference between a sub-3 and above-3; maybe a little extra aggression between 1-2 and to the stop plate.

• 2 months later...
Today I tried drawing to #4. What a big, fat loser that was. :( Apparently somebody known as The Great One does that, but I sure can't.

The only reason he shoot's it like that, and he may not admit this ;), is that he consistently screws up the stage if he shoots it in the proper order. So it's kind of a "trick of the day" for him.

And be sure to tell him I said that.

;)

be

• 9 months later...

FYI, the stage diagram posted on the Steel Challenge web site no longer has all the dimensions printed on it. Get them off the one posted at the beginning of this thread if you need 'em.

• 3 years later...

Here's for reviving an old thread!!!

For those who shoot it 1-2-3-4-Stop, on what plate do you index? Indexing on 1 seems to stretch me into a pretzel by the time I get to the stop plate, so I tried indexing on 4 because that's the hardest shot to make, but that didn't exactly help my draw to 1, so now I'm indexing on 3 and drawing to 1, which is my trick of the day for now... and who is on 1st again??? :roflol: Anyway, I'm just curious how others are handling this. Thanks, J

I don't have a ton of SC experience. A friend of mine left IPSC and shot SC exclusively for a long time, so he's kind of my SC coach/mentor. I felt most comfortable indexing on the stop plate and shooting it 1-2-3-4. I feel that starting on the closest allows me to "right" myself, mentally, and relax for the 2-3-4. I don't exactly slow down, but shooting the first plate close doesn't require as much visual acuity, and I can gradually increase it. By the time I'm at 4, I'm calling and following through the shots very thoroughly. By indexing on the stop, I can make a fast transition from 4 to stop withouth thinking about it, because my body will simply return to a familiar position, and I can make the shot quickly, using my NPA/Index.

That's how I feel most comfortable/efficient.

eta: spelling

Edited by little_kahuna

For those who shoot it 1-2-3-4-Stop, on what plate do you index? Indexing on 1 seems to stretch me into a pretzel by the time I get to the stop plate, so I tried indexing on 4 because that's the hardest shot to make, but that didn't exactly help my draw to 1, so now I'm indexing on 3 and drawing to 1, which is my trick of the day for now... and who is on 1st again??? :roflol: Anyway, I'm just curious how others are handling this. Thanks, J

You don't mean index, you mean setting up your Nature Point of Aim (NPA)? NPA being where your body would naturally align.

I take it you are etting your NPA on 3, then bending the knees to set your index on 1 to draw?

Anyway...it sounds like you are on the right path. :) Let us know how it goes.

You don't mean index, you mean setting up your Nature Point of Aim (NPA)? NPA being where your body would naturally align.

I take it you are etting your NPA on 3, then bending the knees to set your index on 1 to draw?

Anyway...it sounds like you are on the right path. :) Let us know how it goes.

Yes, that's what I meant. I was just testing to see if you could interpret what I meant to say vs. what I actually said. My wife does that to me all the time. :cheers: Good job!

• 1 month later...
Shot this today, 14.03, I saw the front sight very clearly, and it settled down nicely before each shot.

I set my NPA to #4. Im a lefty though, It left very comfortable for me.

Yeah, I'm thinking that an NPA on 4 is the way to go.

• 14 years later...

Peak Time changes for SC-101 FIVE TO GO effective 03 Jan 2024.

CO (Carry Optics) changed to 12.50 sec from 13.00 sec.

OPN (Open) changed to 11.25 sec from 11.50 sec.

PCCI (Pistol Caliber Carbine Irons) to 10.75 sec from 11.00 sec.

RFPO (Rimfire Pistol Open) changed to 8.75 sec from 9.00 sec.

RFRI (Rimfire Rifle Iron) changed to 9.75 sec from 10.00 sec.

All other Divisions remain unchanged for 2024.

REF:  USPSA BOD minutes 20230523 SCSA PST Adjustments 2024.pdf

2024 Peak SC101.jpg