Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition recoil spring different?

Erik D

I'm trying to watch a variety of training and competition videos, and something struck me. First, it seems Bob Vogel loves to rack the slide of his (I'm assuming G35), and it seems to cycle quite easily. Of course it's difficult to tell from a grainy youtube video, but he doesn't put that much effort into cycling the slide. My slide spring, on the other hand, is quite stiff. Is this just an optical illusion or are there lighter sprung recoil springs?

Yeah, he's most likely using a lighter recoil spring and also has built up a lot of strength and technique. Just over the last winter with hours and hours of dry-fire practice I've found that I can rack the slide MUCH easier. It could be that the spring got a little weaker but not that much. I've found it a lot easier to also rack the slide on most of my other guns as well. It has a lot to do with strength and technique.

a repost, in case you're new to lighter recoil springs:

Glock Vertical Test. Because you'll have to point the gun straight up this is best done at home - somewhere other than a uspsa match.

1. Check that your Glock has no mag, no round in the chamber.

2. Check that your Glock is unloaded - AGAIN.

3. Point the gun straight up at the sky. Doesn't matter if it's 'hammer down' or not.

4. Retract the slide to the rear.

5. Still pointed straight up, release the slide very slowly, do not push it shut.

6. Slide should have closed itself completely with no hang-ups.

7. Pointed straight up, focus on the back of the slide & frame rails.

8. Slowly pull the trigger fully to the rear.

9. Slide should NOT back out of full-battery position at all.

10. Repeat steps 4-9 several times: make sure the striker spring is NOT overcoming the recoil spring.

With the loose slide/frame fit on a Glock, it's normal for the slide to hunch down toward the bottom of the mag well. It's NOT okay for it to back up - at all.

A lighter recoil spring can make a big difference. You just need to find a good match for the ammo you are shooting. I shoot a G35 in Limited with a 13lb spring and it shoots like a champ.

A lighter recoil spring can make a big difference. You just need to find a good match for the ammo you are shooting. I shoot a G35 in Limited with a 13lb spring and it shoots like a champ.

This is new to me. Granted, I'm new to competition shooting, so I'll have to look into this. Aside from trying a bunch of springs, is there a resource for this? I shoot 9mm 147gr. Federal Hi-Shock JHP. Hey, it's free, so I use it.

This is new to me. Granted, I'm new to competition shooting, so I'll have to look into this. Aside from trying a bunch of springs, is there a resource for this? I shoot 9mm 147gr. Federal Hi-Shock JHP. Hey, it's free, so I use it.

In that case, I probably wouldn't change springs. The reason a lot of people run lighter springs in competition is that they also run softer ammo.

In that case, I probably wouldn't change springs. The reason a lot of people run lighter springs in competition is that they also run softer ammo.

I agree, with that ammo the stock spring is just fine. If you get into shooting a lighter load or get into major mods to your gun like comps then you would need to lighten your spring.