Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3n37 Or 3n38

Rufus The Bum

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running 10.4 g of 3N38 behind an RP 115 hp in my Tribrid SV.

This would give me 1450 - 1500 fps.

I recently bought a new batch of 3N38, however, could only manage about 1350 at the chrono at the Michigan State Championship last weekend. Ouch! How embarassing!

I'll have to do some chrono ing to figure out what's going on, but I'm wondering what your loads look like in your .38 super tribrids?!

P.S. I recalibrated my RCBS digital scale and checked it against my Webster and I think they're both accurate.

We (myself and other local shooters) have had some deviations in velocity between lots. One of the locals had to bump his load .5 to get the same velocity. This was in the SVI IMM Open Masterpiece. Look at the lot numbers when they differ re-chrono. That's the best advice I can offer.

Good Day all.. and great topic. Helped me to understand alot between the two powders... and wanted a little more detail referencing JL Hardys post on 38super barrel failures.... thing is... I got concerned with over temps/pressures and melting my barrel early which is a definite "not to do"... is this early deterioration particular to the tribids? I use a schuemann 5" 3 port hybricomp with a 7 port titanium comp.

My current load for 38 super is with a 124gr head at 8.2 grs of 3N37... This is with a Schuemann 3 port Hybricomp, 7 Port Compensator. I normally get a little over 1320fps ave with it. I tried SP2 once, but the "noise" over 3N37 just didn't seem worth it so I switched back to 3N37.

If it's going to lead to early barrel deterioration.. I'd give up 3n37 and probably move to Sp2 or 3n38...

Thanks for the help...

Rgds,

rush, the increased noise that you experienced is due to slower powders creating more gas out at the hybrid ports and comp which in turn makes them more efficient. if the comp doesn't get gas to work then it is only a barrel weight. the problem i pointed out is not due to the barrel melting but a combination of heat generated at the chamber and friction of the bullet engraving in the rifling. too much heat right at the chamber with fast powders increases the wear in this high friction area. wil schumann will confirm this and this is why he reccomends slow powders to be used in the open gun barrels. slow powders tend to burn more evenly throughout the bore rather than spiking right close to the chamber. good shooting, j.l. hardy

Thanks J.L. ... I'll have to work up some loads using Sp2. What's better then? SP2 or 3N38?

3N38 certainly is more expensive though. I'll try see if there's some IMR available locally... Thing is, compared to 3n37, SP2 was just "LOUD" :D coming from a 3n37 load, the gun wenty "BOOM !" vs. "BANG".. I though it was a double charge... go figure...

Regards and Thanks Again...

• 12 years later...
On 8/25/2004 at 10:12 AM, Rush said:

Thanks J.L. ... I'll have to work up some loads using Sp2. What's better then? SP2 or 3N38?

3N38 certainly is more expensive though. I'll try see if there's some IMR available locally... Thing is, compared to 3n37, SP2 was just "LOUD" :D coming from a 3n37 load, the gun wenty "BOOM !" vs. "BANG".. I though it was a double charge... go figure...

Regards and Thanks Again...

how's the recoil feeling comparing sp2 and 3n37?

Weird, I never look at thread dates until someone happens to bring it up. Read through the whole thread because I've been shooting 3n37 forever and I'm about to switch to 3n38. Only shot 3n37 from about 1992-98 with (130-135 bullets and 175PF), started shooting again two years ago and easily came up with a 115grn load that worked. bought some 3n38 just to try. 

• 2 months later...

Now that this thread is back up, I might as well add my two cents:

3N38 is arguably the best powder available for 9 major, the only downside is the full case and the cost.  It's about the slowest powder which can make major under a 115gr bullet and can do it with published load data.  3N37 has all the cost downside as 3N38, but the burn rate is on par with other, cheaper powders like HS6, Autocomp, and Silhouette.