Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Respond Immediately

benos

The first time you notice that something needs done, do it.

Live an entire day doing that, and see how you feel at the end of the day.

Thal saves a lot of useles thoughts as we tend to put off doing certain categories of things over and over.

I've noticed I have categories of activities I tend to put off. Like taking out the trash, doing the laundry, sweeping, or filling up the water jug from the Britta filter.

Tonight as I immediately reached for a water jug upon noticing it was empty, spontaneously the first thought that formed was, "here is an opportunity for perfection." Not sure where that came from but it was pretty cool. Much better than the "I'll do that later" thought. After filling the jug, I realized, regardless of whether I spilled a drop or not, perfection lied in just the opportunity to be there.

be

The first time you notice that something needs done, do it.

Live an entire day doing that, and see how you feel at the end of the day.

Thal saves a lot of useles thoughts as we tend to put off doing certain categories of things over and over.

I've noticed I have categories of activities I tend to put off. Like taking out the trash, doing the laundry, sweeping, or filling up the water jug from the Britta filter.

Tonight as I immediately reached for a water jug upon noticing it was empty, spontaneously the first thought that formed was, "here is an opportunity for perfection." Not sure where that came from but it was pretty cool. Much better than the "I'll do that later" thought. After filling the jug, I realized, regardless of whether I spilled a drop or not, perfection lied in just the opportunity to be there.

be

+1 wish I could incoroporate that in my daily life, seems like thier are so many distractions. Just think of all the time waste watching tv, or even browsing ont the internet, when we could be doing something constructive.

This was a big part of a time management course I got at work many years ago. It was a way of reducing workload and reducing stress.

Basically each thing we have to do sits in our virtual 'in-box'. We have a fixed number of hours in a day, when the 'in-box' gets bigger than the amount of available time to complete the work, then the stress begins.

By picking up each work item only once we reduce the 'in-box' and reduce the amount of time we spend thinking about it. If you pick up a work item then put it down again to do later, at some point you will pick it up again, this is duplication of effort, it's wasted movement.

The first time you notice that something needs done, do it. Once it's done then you can forget about it, your 'in-box' is lighter, your stress is reduced. It really does work, trying to fit that methodology into a crazy-assed business like the one that I am in now is the challenge.

I am definantly going to give this a try...tomorrow. Just kidding. I think this could help me with some of my "clutter". I really tend to set things aside (like dry fire) and then I have ten things piled up. Thanks for the challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

For those that have nobody to delegate to, and spend a large majority of our time working in meetings around OTHER peoples schedules; day planners, post its I'll get to that after my 3:00 in five minutes etc... becomes a way of life. There isn't always an opportunity to "do it now". Still, I like the philosophy and think my wife will like it more than I do :D (she's the organized one).

My opportunities at work usually lay in time management and the ability to create my own chances for perfection. I agree though, we (I) don't do this enough in our personal lives when there is the time. It's late afternoon Sunday, I'll try it tomorrow :blush:

• 1 month later...

This was a big part of a time management course I got at work many years ago. It was a way of reducing workload and reducing stress.

Basically each thing we have to do sits in our virtual 'in-box'. We have a fixed number of hours in a day, when the 'in-box' gets bigger than the amount of available time to complete the work, then the stress begins.

By picking up each work item only once we reduce the 'in-box' and reduce the amount of time we spend thinking about it. If you pick up a work item then put it down again to do later, at some point you will pick it up again, this is duplication of effort, it's wasted movement.

The first time you notice that something needs done, do it. Once it's done then you can forget about it, your 'in-box' is lighter, your stress is reduced. It really does work, trying to fit that methodology into a crazy-assed business like the one that I am in now is the challenge.

I have been an adherent to the "pick it up only once" philosophy for years. Usually, I have to remind myself when I am either really busy or really slack.

Today, wanting to be productive, I started to make a list, so I could do the tasks and then strike them off. But instead I just noticed something menial that needed doing and did that. Then another thing, and another. Turned out to be a productive and satisfying afternoon. Interesting I should find this section of the forum for the first time this evening. Karma?

I am definantly going to give this a try...tomorrow. Just kidding. I think this could help me with some of my "clutter". I really tend to set things aside (like dry fire) and then I have ten things piled up. Thanks for the challenge.

amen to that it works for shure

did this the other day without realyl thinking about this thread. I've been meanign to do some cleanin/rearranging in my reloading room and bring my new bench in from the garage. I was in my room playing with some stuff and thought about the new bench as i was leaving, saying, nah ill do it tomorrow. then all of a sudden, i stopped and said "Why? im not doing anything else. screw it, im gonna do it now". After about an hour and half my room looks much better and i feel beter about getting something ive been wanting done actually done!

did this the other day without realyl thinking about this thread. I've been meanign to do some cleanin/rearranging in my reloading room and bring my new bench in from the garage. I was in my room playing with some stuff and thought about the new bench as i was leaving, saying, nah ill do it tomorrow. then all of a sudden, i stopped and said "Why? im not doing anything else. screw it, im gonna do it now". After about an hour and half my room looks much better and i feel beter about getting something ive been wanting done actually done!

Last Friday, I was having a great day responding immediately. Until it was time to clean the bathroom. I noticed the thought - "I don't feel like it now." Which triggered a passage I'd read in a book a long time ago that made a big impression on me. The zen master asked his student how is jogging was progressing. And the student said he hadn't jogged much lately because he didn't feel like it. The master said "that's your problem." (That you care about what you feel.)

So I dropped my care and immersed myself in cleaning. And it was quite good.

be

• 1 month later...

i find that i'm very good at this task for 8 hours a day. i work in an extremely competitive construction field. any time a tool is picked up and put down and picked up again time is wasted. in my trade we call this tool exchange time. same concept of assembly line work i suppose. i find that i have become very good at ways to micromanage my movements at work so that i have become good enough to keep my job when others have fell short. the rest of the day on the other hand i really suck at it. i especially notice that if there is a task that isn't in my normal daily routine (like remembering a dvd for a friend at work) i will ultimately forget about it when i remembered perfectly well to put it in my vehicle the night before. thanks for posing this challenge brian.

Thanks cletus. On topic of paying attention, I suggested to Jake to maybe live like he shoots. You might live like you work.

I posted this somewhere a long time ago... Years ago a sports psychologist contacted me - she was interested in coaching me for free, mainly to test out her coaching methods. It didn't last long because I was not intereted in her "method." Which was a series of specific mental, visual, and physical drills designed soley with the goal of improving match performance. My life's goal was and was (and still is) to do everything I do as perfectly and efficiently as possible at all times, then just shoot naturally.

be

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

i know, dead thread, but i have to anyway (newbie)...

i was reading a golf magazine and they were highlighting Camillo Villegas. Long story short he's a very self motivated, goal orientated person. Big surprise for a professional athlete, i know, but im not judging. anyway, he had the motivational phrase "Sacrifice or Regret" painted on the wall of his home gym. He said that he believes all the hard choices he's had to make in life that lead to his success really only involved choosing wether he wanted make a sacrifice or feel regret. Turned his hard decisions into a simple choice. it really stuck with me and i try to remember those two words when i have to make a choice.

i know, dead thread, but i have to anyway (newbie)...

i was reading a golf magazine and they were highlighting Camillo Villegas. Long story short he's a very self motivated, goal orientated person. Big surprise for a professional athlete, i know, but im not judging. anyway, he had the motivational phrase "Sacrifice or Regret" painted on the wall of his home gym. He said that he believes all the hard choices he's had to make in life that lead to his success really only involved choosing wether he wanted make a sacrifice or feel regret. Turned his hard decisions into a simple choice. it really stuck with me and i try to remember those two words when i have to make a choice.

Good stuff!

(And especially on our forums, no thread is ever dead.)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Zig Ziglar pointed out one time. It is not sacrifice, if we are in the moment we will realize we are having the time of our lives. He mentioned this about how he felt while exercising. (running in the rain, getting up early) He used to tell everyone that would listen about the "great sacrifice" he was making and "how hard" it was. Then he realized it was not......

Zig Ziglar pointed out one time. It is not sacrifice, if we are in the moment we will realize we are having the time of our lives. He mentioned this about how he felt while exercising. (running in the rain, getting up early) He used to tell everyone that would listen about the "great sacrifice" he was making and "how hard" it was. Then he realized it was not......

Great stuff - thanks!