Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

developing my training routines

Erik D

After my second USPSA match today, I'm anxious to start training more. I have a new gun (G34) with a new trigger and new sights that I've never used before (Warren/Sevigny), and I'm using a new grip. I've always used the thumb over revolver grip and have switched to the thumbs forward grip. I have a lot of muscle memory to re-learn, so it's going to take a while.

In searching for targets, I see the official USPSA/IPSC cardboard targets can be had for $.45/each if I order 100. Since they can be taped up a lot, this seems like a do-able price for me. Oddly enough, paper targets aren't that much cheaper, and I would still need cardboard backing. Target stands are available at the range I belong to, so all I really need are targets.

So, my question to the group is: how far away should my targets be? I know varying the distances is good, but what is a general rule about how far away targets actually are in an official stage? I'm planning on putting up two or three targets, drawing from the holster and engaging each target with two shots as fast as I can accurately shoot. Not only am I looking to hit the A area, but I'm looking for consistent grip and trigger position. Close targets are not a problem, but I had a lot of C and M shots in some stages. Other people did to, but I know I can shoot better.

Steel is not a problem for me; plate rack and poppers went down with ease today. It's all about getting the front sight after the first shot.

• 2 weeks later...

15 yards is good.

http://www.predatortactical.com/~predatortact498/uploads/tipsandarticles.pdf

right about halfway down are the famous Burkett "Timing Drills", learn them.

Read the whole article but learn the timing drills.

Thanks Jman. I've been practicing my draw, getting on target, dry fire, trigger reset and sight picture. I got my 100 IPSC/USPSA targets in the mail today from MGM Targets, so I'm closer to getting some good trigger time. Fortunately the range I belong to has several suitable outdoor pistol areas with target stands, so all I need are targets, a staple gun and some tape.

My next question involves the use of a timer and setting up practice stages. Is a timer a necessity for a new competition shooter, or can it wait? Obviously knowing my times would help judge my progress, but it seems to me that getting good muscle memory for the draw, getting on target and trigger control would be more important right now.

Also, I want to vary my practice shots so I'm shooting at 5-15 yards out. Closer than 5 yards seems a bit close, but should I practice more at the longer ranges, assuming that will improve my closer shots? Are there any "benchmark" stage setups that I can use as a gauge for my progress? I'm also planning on shooting between 2-4 targets, usually at varying distances so I can work on transitions to closer/farther away targets.

Now I just need to find the time.............

I don't plan on incorporating movement or shooting around barricades at this point; one step at a time.

After my second USPSA match today, I'm anxious to start training more. I have a new gun (G34) with a new trigger and new sights that I've never used before (Warren/Sevigny), and I'm using a new grip. I've always used the thumb over revolver grip and have switched to the thumbs forward grip. I have a lot of muscle memory to re-learn, so it's going to take a while.

In searching for targets, I see the official USPSA/IPSC cardboard targets can be had for $.45/each if I order 100. Since they can be taped up a lot, this seems like a do-able price for me. Oddly enough, paper targets aren't that much cheaper, and I would still need cardboard backing. Target stands are available at the range I belong to, so all I really need are targets.

So, my question to the group is: how far away should my targets be? I know varying the distances is good, but what is a general rule about how far away targets actually are in an official stage? I'm planning on putting up two or three targets, drawing from the holster and engaging each target with two shots as fast as I can accurately shoot. Not only am I looking to hit the A area, but I'm looking for consistent grip and trigger position. Close targets are not a problem, but I had a lot of C and M shots in some stages. Other people did to, but I know I can shoot better.

Steel is not a problem for me; plate rack and poppers went down with ease today. It's all about getting the front sight after the first shot.

I make my own IPSC targets. I have a TON of scrap cardboard in my garage. I took the measurements from the USPSA rulebook and make a template out of thin plywood. I use that to cut targets from the cardboard. I then cut out the A zone and replace the A zone with a fresh one once it's all shot out. Works well for me and it's free.